3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shrew vs acs-cx  (Read 942 times)

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shrew vs acs-cx
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
i know speed isnt everything but to bad the lord blessed me w/ these short little t-rex arms

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
Do them foam limbs float? Be a good duck huntin' bow.

Eric

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Eric, Shrews   don't float.        :scared:          

:bigsmyl:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
Ron,

I think you've plum lost your mind!  :help:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2008, 10:30:00 PM »
I have shot both and they are excellent bows but the Shrew shot better for me in every way. Have to agree with everyone else the ACS was faster but that was negated by how well the Shrew shot for me. I too am blessed or maybe its cursed with a short draw.

I have a Shrew Gold with foam/carbon limbs on order for my son. He may not find out about for a couple months after it arrives so I can shoot it   :bigsmyl:

I may be placing an order for a matching bow here soon though. Gregg keeps telling how awesome the bow is going to be and I am weak willed when it comes to bows.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
I have both and like them very much. You really can't go wrong with either. The ACS CX costs quite a bit more and is more of a semi-custom bow. It is very convenient to travel with, like most three piece takedown bows. It is stable, shoots very well, and is fast. But it is not some sort of super bow that sends arrows off at the speed of sound and defies the laws of physics. As was said above, it is probably about 10 fps faster than a comparable Shrew, which for your hunting situation will not be a big difference. The Shrew is totally a custom, one-man made bow that is crafted to near perfection by Gregg Coffey. I have five Shrews and all of them are wonderful. I particularly like the two piece model with the Bow Bolt as I wrote in a response in another thread. I have three Classic Hunter longbows, one Shrew Lite longbow (actually it is my wife's), and one Lil Favorite recurve. The recurve is the fastest of the five by a bit. Next would be the foam core Classic Hunter that Gregg has just now begun to build. I have two more Shrews on order with the Bow Bolts.

In my hands the ACS CX shoots more consistently accurately. It is definitely more forgiving of breakdowns in my shooting form. Part of that is probably the fact that the ACS is heavier; another is that the ACS is longer. Mine is a 64" model, but I have an extra set of limbs to make it a 62" model. As between those lengths, the 64" is noticeably better to shoot just because of the extra smoothness of a longer working springs and a longer lever arm that resists movement.

On the other hand, the Shrew (particularly the Shrew Classic Hunters in the 56" length) are just as smooth, if not more so, than the much longer ACS. I think my 54" Classic Hunter draws as smoothly to my 29 1/2" draw length (and beyond) as my 64" ACS CX. That is pretty amazing when there is a full 10" length difference between the two. The 54" Lil Favorite is just as smooth, but I was comparing longbows to one another. For a hunting bow, shorter is very often much better, as is lighter weight. Carrying a long, heavy bow through the woods all day is much more fatiguing that carrying a short, light bow. Shooting from a tree stand or out of a tent type ground blind is always much nicer with a short bow. All else being equal (which it never is) I would always choose a shorter, lighter bow over a longer, heavier bow.

Both the Shrew and the ACS CX point very well, but the Shrew definitely points better, at least for me. That is a big advantage with snap shots or shots at moving targets, but those are not the norm in hunting and definitely not in most target shooting situations. For formal target shooting I definitely prefer the ACS CX. The Shrew is great to shoot at targets, but it is not really designed to be a target bow. I like the forward deflexed riser design on the Shrew. I also like the grip a lot. The bow just fits me very well. The ACS fits well too, and it has a very nice grip and balance. If my form is spot on, I can shoot the Shrew as well as the ACS. It is just as inherently accurate. However, my form is rarely even close to perfect, and the ACS is definitely more forgiving of mistakes on my part. The deflexed riser on the Shrew helps add stability, but it does not make up for the extra weight and length of the ACS. The Shrew Lil Favorite recurve actually has a more deflexed riser than the Shrew longbows, and it is more stable and forgiving as a result. I still prefer the Classic Hunter over the Lil Favorite, probably because of the classic lines of a longbow.

I favor the Classic Hunter and the Lil Favorite over the Super Shrew and the Scout because of the shorter riser and shorter overall lengths of the first two. The shorter riser gives longer working limbs that draw smoother at long draws than the longer riser bows do even when they are several inches longer overall. To me, one of the main reasons for having a Shrew is to be able to get a top quality bow that is short in length, so it only makes sense to me to go with the Classic Hunter and the Lil Favorite. If you are shorter anyway and only have a 26" draw like Oddan, then you can pick any Shrew without worry, but his 54" Classic Hunter must be a dream for him to draw. The limbs are not even beginning to peak out at 26".

I have been wanting to try out a Black Mountain Sheepeater bow to see what a really short bow of that design shoots like. However, a two piece Shrew Classic Hunter would be much better to be able to travel with because it would break down shorter and would be much less bulky in a case without the large static recurve tips of the Sheepeater.

Sorry to be so verbose! I wanted to tell my thoughts about the pros and cons of the two bows you asked about without trying to convince you one was better than the other. By July I will own seven Shrews and one ACS CX with an extra set of limbs, so if I am voting with my dollars, you can see which one is winning in my books. Other people will go with the ACS and dismiss the Shrew, and they are not really wrong in doing so. Rod Jenkins shoots the ACS and prefers it. For what he wants a bow to do, he has absolutely picked the right one. If I could make a bow shoot the way he does his ACS, I might not shoot anything else either. But I am a very poor shot compared to Rod, so I shoot other bows too, and the Shrews are some of my favorites. I have a number of other bows besides the Shrews and the ACS that I own and am very high on too, but this thread is not about them, so I will not diverge.

Happy New Year to all you TradGangers!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline k. sisco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Guys I have a OL Adcock 62" that I really like.
But My favorite bow is a Morrison Shawnee Dakota with foam core and carbon limbs.
I have never shot a shrew,so How does a shrew compare to a Morrison?
Bob really has the foam core limbs preforming great.
I would really be interested in a shrew if they compare to a morrison.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »
"by July i will own 7 shrews" he he thats impressive there Allan

good info by the way    :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »
David Knipes was half right. I have the first foam core Shrew that Gregg built, but it doesn't have carbon fiber. Gregg has built one since that does. I will have a foam/carbon Classic Hunter with a Bow Bolt next July, so David will be correct then. I can hardly wait. My current foam core Classic Hunter will be at the Kalamazoo Expo, so tell me what you think. Gregg did an amazing job on it. It is really fast, smooth, and strikingly beautiful with Macasser Ebony veneers on the backs and bellies of the limbs and a Texas Ebony riser. The carbon fiber will probably make a foam core bow like that as fast as my ACS CX. I personally don't think I will be giving up any speed to an ACS with a foam/carbon Classic Hunter. I will also be getting a foam core Lil Favorite. Unless Gregg and Ron tell me differently, I don't think the carbon would add much to a Lil Favorite because of the difference in limb design with a recurve, so mine probably won't have the carbon. It is very fast anyway and the foam core may add a little more speed.

You guys better call up Ron today and get your orders in for the new bows that will be coming out. I have been drooling all over my foam core Classic Hunter ever since I got it. Ron and Gregg will clean it up though before they put it on display at Kalamazoo!    :D  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
amar911 thanks for the input really appreciate it

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
Ken,

I have several Morrisons, including ones with foam/carbon limbs. They are great bows. I shoot them even better than I do my ACS CX. I can't say enough good things about Bob Morrison and his bows. One of my Morrisons is a Mini-14 ILF with "C" limbs that is only 56" AMO. I shoot it better than any other bow I own. It is short but also much heavier than the Shrews, which I think largely explains why I shoot it a little better. If I were to be sitting on a stand or in a blind all day, the Mini-14 might be the better choice. If I were stalking deer all day, a Classic Hunter might be the better choice. I couldn't pick one over the other if I could only have one, but fortunately I don't have to make that choice. I also have two Shawnees with the foam/carbon limbs like yours and understand why you like that bow. I do too. I don't know where you are in Oklahoma, but I'm in Oklahoma City if you want to come down sometime and shoot my bows. Then you can decide for yourself. If you are like me you will end up keeping your Morrison and ordering a new foam/carbon Shrew.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline k. sisco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
Allan,
I would love to get together sometime and shoot your shrew.
I live in bristow,so it's less than an hour away via the turnpike.
Im a little busy with my buisness at this time but perhaps we can get together when it's a little more convienant.
Thanks for the offer.

Ken

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 01:41:00 AM »
Any time Ken.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 04:45:00 AM »
i wouldnt mind having both bows to shoot,it looks like i'd be able to get an acs-cx faster than a shrew account of the longer waiting list

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
A&H had my riser in stock, I got the entire bow in two weeks from the day I finalized my order.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Big Al thats cool

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
pa, if you can make it to Kalamazoo in Feb, you can shoot all the bows mentioned plus a whole lot more!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
Al, I ended up buying an instock riser as well (Bubinga), tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I placed the order, I'm counting the days!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©