3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: finger splits/cracks  (Read 906 times)

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: finger splits/cracks
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
I have an old farmer friend with the same ailment.  He says the udder balm is doing no good.  I've had a couple nurses tell me the only thing that will help him out is to put vaseline in the fingers of white cotton gloves, then wear those to bed.  He's too proud and manly to try that- so far anyway.  Give her whirl if you fancy.
Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »
If my hands get bad, I use Udder Cream at night and put on a pair of latex gloves before bed.  Uncomfortable, but it sure works.  I also will wear latex gloves outside in colder weather, under my work gloves.  Keeps hands from drying out and warmer, too (evaporation is a heat removing process).  If you can get used to wearing the latex gloves, they sure help. I often need to wear them at my new job, so I had to get get used to working with them.  I haven't tried shooting with them on, though.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
Bag Balm and Corn Huskers lotion.  Bag Balm at bedtime...Corn Huskers several times during the day.  Corn Huskers will rub in and not be greasy!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
It sounds like is eczema (Dry skin) Normal skin lotions only hydrate the top layers. You need to get further down. Try Desoximetasone 0.25% twice a day (prescription) Lac-Hydrin Five (Over the counter) twice a day.
…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
Barney, I noticed you are a home builder. I am a carpenter, when I do a lot of sheetrock work is when my fingers crack the most. Usually Carmex does it for me. Good luck on finding a solution.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »
My doctor told me to get a toilet bowl wax ring from the hardware store and coat my hands with some of that,rubbing it in.It seals things realy well and gives some relief.Whatever you use,make sure you coat them before bedtime.I used to have problems with the soles of my feet cracking when out for long periods of time walking in severe winter weather.Coating my soles at night with vaseline and wearing socks to bed,usually was all I needed.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 04:44:00 AM »
I Have had the same problem all fall. Super Glue does the job.
Tom

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 05:57:00 AM »
Barney once you get them healed up prevention is the answer , so use a good lotion before they get to that shape. My heels crack every winter unless I keep lotion on them. Just can't walk across the hardwoods with lotion on your feet.I work out in the weather and have to keep my hands lotioned 5-6 times a day to keep them in decent shape.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
bag balm
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
Another user of SUPER GLUE here.  It serves as an artificial scab and is also an antiseptic.  I used to be a mail carrier and nothing kept the cracks from occurring through the winter.  Bag balm helps, but I still have to get the super glue out.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
I have the same problems. Lotion 3-6 times a day and then use Vaseline at night and cover them with latex gloves.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline david_lewis93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 08:19:00 AM »
you can also get vitamine E capsules and open the and put the oil on your hands,pr look in the baby isle at the store foe "A&D  OINTMENT" have used it fir years in the nursing homes where I was a nurse and still use it where I work now,also eucerine cream is good too.Hope this helps It works for me and I was my hands 100+ times a day.
David

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
This is going to sound goofy but take black pepper and pack it in the cracks and put a
band-aid around them at night before you go to bed.It works,heals the cracks.Use the lotions or creams to help keep them from coming back.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 08:49:00 AM »
Martex Men's Hand Cream. I found it at the local Farm and Fleet. I looked for a website but they have none. I think they also make veterinarian supplies. Best stuff I have found. Also Chapstick is good for putting into a current crack. But for most cracks, it's Super Glue.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
I'll go along with ronp on this one. Use udder cream. Wal MArt carries it. When it gets bad put it on and then put on surgical gloves on your hands during the day even or when your shooting. My fingertips got really bad when I lived in Alaska because its like an Arctic Desert, Cold and very dry. That was my remedy and it worked. I did this and also at night put neosporin on the cracks. It healed them right up. put that uddder cream on your hands about 5 times a day after your cracks heal up so they won't come back. Thats my .02 cents worth. Hope this helps.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Another fan of gluing the would shut with Newskin/superglue. wearing gloves with cream helps, but I think the fact you get the hands to sweat in the winter time helps the most the sweat pulls oils from the inside out which causes healing very quick.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
I notice that every time I treat my leather hunting boots with Obenauf's Heavy duty leather preservative that my hands got much better. You apply it with your hands, body heat melts it.

I've just started treating my boots more often and my hands haven't had any problems.

http://www.obenaufs.com/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=11&osCsid=2a2a9247cf2610b774d903be298b806c

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Alot of new ideas, thanks to all.   :notworthy:  I'll keep trying till something works.

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
Also, wear rubber gloves when handling solvents etc., and switch to a "Chick" soap like Dove for a while.
…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
Lost Arraw reminded me of something. Last couple of years I have built sinewed bows in the Winter. The hide glue done wonders for my hands. Kinda makes sense when you think about it.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©