3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adjusting Bitzenburgers and making arrows.....  (Read 254 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Adjusting Bitzenburgers and making arrows.....
« on: December 27, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
Anybody have any tips on the centering dials of the Bitz jig? I got 4 for Xmas, and I read the directions thoroughly. Are the centering adjustment dials on top and bottom for literally centering the fletching on the arrow shaft? Why would you move it right or left independent of the helical twist you give it for (in my case) a LW setup? The directions say to line up the "C" stampings. I'm sorta stumped here....

Also don't you love it when you get your dozen arrows cut, all your fletching ready, and you realize you only have 11 nocks, and not 12?

D'oh!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adjusting Bitzenburgers and making arrows.....
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
You can give it more helical by adjusting the dials. I clamp a feather in, set on the arrow and adjust the dial where both ends of the feather sit completely on the arrow with the most helical possible.

Don't know about the "C" stamping...haven't looked that close at mine in years.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adjusting Bitzenburgers and making arrows.....
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Four Bitz jigs for Christmas!  Somebody loves you.  You will adjust the jigs to give the best fit of the fletch on the shaft and the fletch will look to be perpendicular to the shaft at any point along the fletch.  On my LW Bitz jigs, the forward mark is about 1/4" left of the C line and the aft is about 1/8" right, maybe a bit less.  Put a shaft in the jig and a fletch in the calmp.  Mount the clamp and slide it back to touch the frame and seat the fletch on the shaft.  You will be able to look thru the clamp and see how it centers on the shaft and adjust as needed.  Glue one on and see how it looks and maybe adjust again.  If the fletch seems to move around as you go from one position to the other, check your nock tapers and alignment.  Have fun!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©