3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: After 35 yrs hunting: New understanding of "Sharp broadheads"  (Read 1086 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
After 35 yrs hunting: New understanding of "Sharp broadheads"
« on: December 27, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Okay guys- I have shot lots of citters.  Taught IBEP.  I know about "sharp" broadheads.  Used Magnus for 15 years now with great success. Accu-sharp and a few swipes on ceramics and they are what I would call "sharp"- shaving hair on my arm.  Now the new lesson (for me!!). . .

With that said- I used a German Kinetic this year- out of the box- the sharpest thing I have ever witnessed. Scarey SHARP. . .

I shot a KS buck in Nov. and the arrow sliced through with barely a blink.  The deer ran about 25-30 yards and looked back.  He never knew he was hit.  Finally just fell over.  I have never- I mean NEVER- witnessed blood like that in my entire life.  Where he was standing looked like a 3' circle of blood poured out from a bucket. It turned out to be lung and heart!

Now- I have thought about this alot. . . I talked to Ron at KME and he was not suprised.  As a detailed sharpening guy, he helped me realize there is "sharp" and there is "SHARP."  And you can easily kill most animals with "sharp" and probably even less than "sharp."  BUT- there is something to be said about "SHARP." I mean truly hair popping sharp- perhaps as sharp or more than a razor!

I am not naive enough to think one deer will give me enough evidence- but I am SERIOUSLY re-thinking what "sharp" really means.  It brings me back to old experiences and reflections on various hits and even the the accidental/ occassional marginal shots.  

Just something new for me to consider as I close out my year in these reflective holiday evenings. . .

Thoughts??. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline ilarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: After 35 yrs hunting: New understanding of "Sharp broadheads"
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
I have a freind that got some of those shortly after they came out and he said that they were so "SHARP" that he was afraid to handle them with out gloves.

When I can afford some I will get some, I would like to get just one for the IBEP classes that I teach just to show the class what "SHARP" is.
Brent Wolber
IBEP Instructor
I live for ARCHERY!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 02:31:00 AM »
Brent- However- while they are a GREAT broadhead, my hope and point is NOT to advertise the Kinetics (mine were a gift and I could never afford them otherwise).  I guess I would like to think that the sharpness of those heads is a great standard for us.  While I may not get there, I am going to take more time and tools to hopefully move that direction with my Magnus and others to be "SHARP".
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 03:38:00 AM »
i got a few packs of them silverflames and i agree most  people dont understand just what truly SHARP really is

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 03:40:00 AM »
that i believe can be really beneficial to a traditional bowhuntr if the quarry doesnt know its hit it may not travel as far

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »
I switched to a different quiver this year where the arrows were in contact with each other. I was constantley trying to touch up the heads to pretty sharp.  Finaly gave up on my 3-blades, just was not satisfied with sharpnest or results. I went back to a bow quiver and the old standby Zwickeys Hoping for better results in a few hours this morning. Finally getting back to temps that my old body can handle.

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
So, do we know how German Kinetic puts "SHARP" on their broadhead, or is this some kind of EDM technology??
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
They are the sharpest and might I dare say toughest or close to, on the market. I use them as a standard for sharpening all my heads now. Hours on diamond hones and leather!

Offline 57HOP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
How they do it (From their webpage)
"CNC-Laser cuts the blades from a tool steel board. The thickness of 1.80mm (.071”) and the grinding of the cutting edges are made in a CNC wet-grinding process to preserve the hardness of the steel. No other manufacturer offers this blade strength!! Prior to this process the blades are bead-blasted and vibratory ground.

The blades are precisely tempered to 55-57 HRC. In order to ensure a homogenous molecular structure of the steel, the blades are then subzero quenched in a special cooling chamber.

The final process in achieving razor sharpness is accomplished by de-burring of the edges on a wheel containing elephant leather and a special polish paste."

Good News! They have a sale - Only $79.95 for 3!

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
i have shot them in a foam target like 20 times or more and still took the hair off my arm

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »
I shot through a whitetail doe with a Bear Razorhead and she went on feeding until she fell over.  The attitude of the deer (physically and mentally) has more to do with how they react to being shot, but sharp will help.   We are talking enth' degrees of sharpness now so let's make sure we don't make folks think they can't hunt with anything but a German Kinetics head.
I can shave hair with my file sharpened Bears, so they kill quickly and let good blood trails.
Enth' degrees.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
The question I have though, is once they become dull, how difficult is it to get them sharp again?

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
After sharpening my Eclipses are just as sharp as the GK broadheads and I get 6 for the price of one..  I'd bet on it!

Offline ilarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
I personally think you can get almost every good quality head to be as sharp as a GK. It just might take a little time.

At 80 bucks for 3 I think I can go without them, I have my eye on some eclipses and will stick with my old trust worthy ones.
Brent Wolber
IBEP Instructor
I live for ARCHERY!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »
Ksdan already stated he isn't trying to promote German Kinetic broadheads, he simply has a new perspective of what realy scary sharp is after handling them and has a new standard to strive for regardless of what broadhead he chooses to use.
We are all aware the GK heads are expensive and that your old Zwickys, Bear Razorheads...etc will kill things just as dead,  and that you can buy a 100 of them for the price of 3 GKs...bla, bla, bla.  Give it break.  Use what you want and get them sharp.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Thanks, Burnsie.. I'll give it break..

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
I teach multiple IBEP Courses each year.  You would not beleive what some folks call "sharp".
I was lucky when I started shooting traditional, as I had two mentors that would not let me go to the woods without checking my broadheads.  One would show me how to sharpen a broadhead, and the other one would dull it, and then they both wached, and coached me as I learned to sharpen them on my own.  I burned alot of midnight oil sharpening broadheads, that I thought were sharp!
I knew I couldn't go hunting until they were "SHARP", and that they wouldn't go until I was ready!  Thats dedication!  I was a man grown at this time and not new to archery.
Point is that everyone should try to get broadheads as sharp as their ability.  Some can do it better and make it look easy, while the rest of us strive to match them.  
If you know how to get them scary sharp, and you can help someone else to learn....by all means help them.  
That is what I've found that the "Traditional Family" does...help each other.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
Thank you Burnsie!  Just got home from church. . . that was my first thought after a few posts- Guys, THIS IS NOT ABOUT GERMAN KINETICS!!  I have a new level of sharpness I want to pursue.  That is why I called KME- not to advertise but to gain new skill.  Ron was incredible and "lives" my new understanding.  I am going to try the KME system to gain new skill.

For what it is worth- while I do not see most ever say this - one of the reasons I have stuck with trad over these decades is because it is so economical.  One bow and you never really have to buy one again, arrows last forever, and one set of broadheads can last years and years.

The LAST thing I would suggest is a guy has to spend lots of money on equip.  If you have it to spend though- those Kinetics are an amazing weapon.

Thanks again Burnsie for setting it straighter! Thanks to the rest for additional input.  What this site is all about. . . hope the discussion helps others.

Offline turkey351

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
I love my Snuffer and sharp is the way i keep them...zipperman
just hunt

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
I use to think if it "grabbed" your fingernail it was sharp.  Then I thought that if it would shave off all the hair in a spot it was sharp.  Then I thought if it would shave the hair off without "pulling" hair or needing any pressure it was sharp.  Then I thought if it would shave without "feeling" anything on your arm it was sharp.  Now I've seen a guy work his knifes still he can "free-shave" the hair on his arm 1/8" off the skin.  That's what I think sharp is now...and I'm working on it.

How sharp something is going in isn't as important as how sharp it is half-way through and coming out.  Being S-H-A-R-P going in helps, but there's A LOT that depends on the geometry of the edge, which steels ares used, and hardness/heat-treat used.

There's always "sharper" but we've got to decide where the point of diminishing returns is.  (Notice I didn't say "no" returns...just "diminishing.)
Micah 6:8

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©