3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Drawn Shrew Photo's  (Read 508 times)

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
Drawn Shrew Photo's
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
Just ordered my first Classic Hunter Longbow...

Still having a hard time deciding between the 56"-vs-54".

I draw a solid 29".  Does anyone have photo's they could post with either the 54 or 56 inch classic hunter drawn.

Thanks,
Jason

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drawn Shrew Photo's
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »
Jason,

I have a 29 1/2" draw length and shoot both 54" and 56" Classic Hunters. Ron LaClair will recommend the 56" for you. Either length will work just fine. I think the 56" is a little smoother. Get whichever you prefer and you will be happy.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
BobW pulling a 56" Shrew Classic Hunter to a full 32".

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
cool

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
Amar911/Javaman

Ron rec'ed the 56 to me as well.  If you were going to pick a length for your 1st shrew would you go with the 56" or 54"?

I usually like to have the string angle of my longbows to be at 90 or approaching 90 degrees, in relation to the limb tip.

I feel that I get the most out of the bow design that way.

But I'm new to the short bow.  What you you all think.

Jason

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
Those are some great pictures. I bet Bob's arrows are smokin with a 32 inch draw!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Java Man-Can that be done with a split finger release? Thanks Hap

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
I managed my 30" draw with a 52" bow, so yes, I would imagine it'd be fine!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Jason,

If the shortest possible length is your primary concern, go with the 54". If a little more smoothness is most important to you, go with the 56". Ron LaClair has shot these bows a lot more than about any of the rest of us, so I expect he knows better than any of us what works well. I know he prefers the 56" bow for himself. I do think that the foam core bow will be about as smooth at 54" as the actionboo core bow is at 56", so that could be a good tradeoff. Since you have awhile to wait before you get the Shrew you ordered, think about it. In the meantime, I will go out and shoot both length Classic Hunters side by side on several occasions and will then give you a better analysis of what I think would be better for you on your first Shrew. I do definitely think you ought to get the Classic Hunter with the foam core, carbon backed limbs and with a Bow Bolt. Obviously, the woods and overlays are a matter of personal preference, but think about what you think would look best from your point of view. Gregg does beautiful work, so whatever you pick he will turn it into a work of art.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
Hot Hap,

Yep.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
I've got a true 30" draw and my 56" Classic is as smooth as my 60" Samuri, with a little more speed to boot. Can't go wrong with any of them. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
You guys make it hard not to order a new Shrew when I have my first one sitting in the post office cause they couldn't deliver mail yesterday cause of snow.  I bought a Samurai. I can't wait to give it a try. I'd love to have a takedown for travel.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
You guy's are killing me.  I may just have to order one of these!  A year seems like a long time to wait.  Time to save to pay for it though.   :)

For my 26" draw would you go with a 54" bow?

Mel

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
the more shrews i c the bowyer greg is one heck of bow builder,god he is a craftsman.

they r truly works of art

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
Mel,

A 54" would work great. At your draw length I expect a 52" would too. If you have the comparative speed disadvantage of a short draw length, then it seems fitting to use the advantage of being able to shoot a shorter bow. I think I would order a 52". If Rob can shoot that length Classic Hunter with his 30" draw, it would be the cat's meow for you with a 26" draw. And just think how handy a bow like that would be to travel with if you opted for the Bow Bolt to make it a two piece! You would have a package just a little over two feet long. Without the points your arrows will still be longer. You would easily be able to pack your bow and probably your arrows all in the Three Rivers Deluxe Takedown Travel case, assuming your arrows are about 27" BOP.  http://www.3riversarchery.com/Cases+Bow++DLX+Take-Down+Recurve+Travel+Case_c43_s193_p0_i5138_product.html   That would give you a very compact package.

A year does seem like a long time to wait, but with Gregg coming out with some really great new options and materials, you are going to be able to get a bow that was not even available a month ago. By ordering now, you will be able to get in line ahead of most people out there and can have a new Shrew that even those who currently own a Shrew will want to add to their arsenal. All the Shrews ever made are wonderful, but there is always room for improvement, and that is what Gregg and Ron are constantly doing with these bows. I ordered two back in July, and I am already changing my order to get the new materials in those two bows when Gregg gets them built next summer. I know from the foam core Classic Hunter I now have how great the foam core is. Gregg has already built a foam/carbon Super Shrew and tells me how smooth and FAST it is. I still have half a year left before I can get my foam/carbon Classic Hunter and it is killing me too! But the line isn't getting any shorter, so best to step up now and be counted or get farther behind. The chance to get a Shrew that may be as smooth and fast as any trad bow built and still has the incredible looks, feel, quality, and handiness of a Shrew is something that makes a year wait easy for me to swallow, even though it is frustrating at the same time. Since Chris Surtees is going to be getting a foam/carbon Classic Hunter with a Bow Bolt a couple of months before I get mine, we all need to be on his back in May to see what he thinks of it!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »
I only draw 27" but have a 54" 46lb@27 classic hunter and a 56" 48lb@27 SuperShrew. I shoot both bows equally well as far as accuracy but the 56" does have a smoother draw to me. Still the 54" is so tiny it has a real coolness factor to it plus it's perfect for treestands and ground blinds.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
Cody,

I sure like the Lil Favorite I got from you. Hope you had a good Christmas. Happy New Year. I look forward to seeing you again soon. Get that big buck before the season ends!

Take care,
Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »
Allan,
How do you think I would get along with a Shrew? You already know which bows I seem to shoot the best. I have always been interested in them, but haven't had a chance to shoot one. Also, Which bow would you recommend for me? I am willing to give up a few fps for a smoother drawing bow. I would be ordering 50# at my 28" draw.

Thanks, Bill

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 01:43:00 AM »
Bill,

I think you would really like a Shrew. It appears to be similar in many ways to the design of the Treadway and Horne bows you have, but you can get all that in a much more compact package. I would suggest a 54" Classic Hunter with foam cores and carbon backing along with the Bow Bolt option so you can take it down into two pieces to transport it. I don't think you would be giving up any speed with that bow. If you want a bow that would be even a little smoother and are willing to give up a couple of inches of compactness, go with a 56" CH. I think you would love either one. I know you like to pick pretty woods, and you can get them with the Shrews. I also like nice limb tips like stag antler, horn, matching exotic woods, etc. Wood veneers over the carbon backing are also nice unless you want a black bow for shooting out of a pop up blind.

I will be getting a bow like that in July, but I am waiting in line for my number to come up again, just like lots of other people. The good part is I ordered TWO last July, so I get double the fun!!!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mel Amos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
Ok Allen, you have talked me into it.

I called Ron and left a message.

Now what to order wood wise?  Any opinions or more pictures?

I'm thinking the classic hunter TD 52" at 48-50# @ 26", foam core, antler overlays.

I usually shoot a recurve.  Any issues switching to this longbow?

Regards,
Mel

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©