3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Found a shed?  (Read 499 times)

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
Found a shed?
« on: December 29, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
While sitting in my stand this evening I noticed a shed lying on a trail about 10 yds. away. Nothing special, only a spikes horn about 8 inches long. I'm pretty sure I've seen this buck at least two times in the early season and he looked very healthy. At dark I picked it up on my way out and it still had blood on the base. I'd say it happened sometime today. I was just wondering if anybody else has ever found a shed in December?

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Found a shed?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
I saw some but they hadn't come off yet.   :D
Saw a spiker and a couple other bucks that wouldn't let me count. Then about a mile from them, I saw a forkie chasing two fawns.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
I shed hunt quite a bit and I have never found one in December. The earliest I've found a shed is February 12th. I've heard several people this year have already started to find them. Tripper
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
We find them here in WV every yr in December, well I should say my Brittany Spaniel does. Of course our buck to doe ratio is way out of wack and I feel this has caused this over a long period of time. Me and one of my buddies found an matched set last December at work.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
A friend of mine killed a buck in the northern part of the state a few days ago.  Had antlers when he shot it.  But both came loose as dragged it back to the truck.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
Found one on Christmas Eve a couple years back.  Lost that day or late the previous day because I had just walked the farm road the day before and it wasn't there then.  Never found another shed that year till late Feb or March.  So I've seen it but I think it is pretty rare. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
Saw a fesh drop last year in Dec on a wheat field. Two years ago a friend daughter shot a doe during our Dec special fall rifle doe season it turned out to be a small buck that had shed already.I would say most deer drop them after Feb here

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 07:27:00 PM »
I have a buddy that shot a doe last year during boomstick season(last three weeks of Nov and the first week of Dec....roughly). Got up to "her" and found out it was a big ole' buck that dropped his antlers already.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
I just wondered if maybe it had to do with the lack of mast this year? Like I said it appeared to be very healthy though. Jack, our heard ratio is also very imbalanced. Does anybody think this could have that effect on the timing of their shedding?

Offline going trad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
a few years back a shot a "doe" on December 14th, turns out it was a buck that shed his antlers already.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Jerry.  in that case, is it considered "antlerless" (for tagging purpose)
ChuckC

Offline CBH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
Last week, two days before Christmas, I had a little buck walk past me that had recently dropped one side. This seems a bit earlier than usual.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
A local guy here found a pair of small antlers already.

I find most of mine from the tractor seat.....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
I need to get my trail cams back out. They have been dropping for a couple of weeks now and that's about right around here. Most will drop in January,Feburary.

I don't know about the food thing but this is about the way it happens every year in my area. Of course I had 4 coyotes chase 10 bucks past me while I was cutting wood late last Feburary and they all had there racks.  :knothead:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »
I found a shed 20 yards behind my stand the day after Christmas last year...earliest I've ever found one.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
I just took a doe to the meat house today,there were several other deer there to be processed.The owner is a friend  of mine as we were talking  he ponted to a big bodied doe and said check this buck out.It turned out he had 2 bucks there that were killed over the weekend that had already shed both sides of there rack.
Bill

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
A freind found one this year in Indiana last week.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
I've never found one this early.  Around here I have regularly seen bucks that still had one and a lot of times both antlers in mid April.

Dennis

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
A friend of mine killed a buck in the northern part of the state a few days ago.  Had antlers when he shot it.  But both came loose as dragged it back to the truck.
A friend of mine did the same thing one year. IMHO..I think some bucks just shed early and some bucks keep them longer.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
Heres a matching set of sheds i found a few years back... found one stuck in a brush pile and the other 50 yds away on a well used trail... Jason (whitebuffalo) did a sweet job of mounting them for me as a gift...

TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©