3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who carries "survival" type fire starters?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who carries "survival" type fire starters?
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
Right now all I carry are some water proof matches. I realized this fall I need to update my first aid survival supplies, they are getting pretty slim.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
Try 0000 steel wool and a 9 volt battery. ( the little square ones that go in transistor radios)Just touch both battery terminals at the same time to the steel wool and instant HOT fire.
The biggest problem is remembering to have a fresh battery or two before you leave for the woods.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
I don't have problems with my magnesium lighter but it takes a lot of magnesium to work properly.  I don't see the point of it, really, when I can carry some cotton balls and a metal match--doesn't get much lighter and compact than that.
I do carry a bic lighter but they suck when hands are cold.  I figure I'll cut one in half over a pile of sticks and light it with the metal match...next best thing to a flare.

Offline Bradd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
Pac and Two Sheds have it right.  Dryer lint and a mag starter works every time.  

But you mentioned a VERY good point!!!  Don't go out in the woods unless you have tested and know how to use ALL of your equipment!

I once asked my Mohawk Grandfather if he knew how to start a fire with two sticks.  His answer, "Yep, just make sure one's a match!"

Wooden matches and a striker can be carried in the black Kodak film canisters, with the gray lids.  Waterproof and easy to carry.  

In fact, in my waist/bum pack survival kit (always worn in the woods, even for a short hike - fog can get you lost fast...I know) I have 4 of these canisters with fishing gear(lures inside, line wrapped around the outside and electrical taped in placed), medications, matches, water purifier tablets (doubles as fire starter).
B.B.
DAS Elite 33lbs@27"
Martin Vision Longbow 33lbs@27"
KAP T-Rex - Winstorm Limbs

Aim for Center of Center!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
That is it Rick, thanks. I was having a brain fart...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Yep, a primitive cigarette lighter. A survival situation is no place to find out you can't start a fire with a flint and steel, or by rubbing two Boy Scouts together.

if you're on a primitive campout, or in a contest,fine. if your life depends on it, I'll take modern technology, in the form of a lighter and matches every time.

Should mention, too, that a butane lighter will work at high altitude, but you have to keep it warm. I prefer a Zippo.

JMHO
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Yep, a primitive cigarette lighter. A survival situation is no place to find out you can't start a fire with a flint and steel, or by rubbing two Boy Scouts together.

if you're on a primitive campout, or in a contest,fine. if your life depends on it, I'll take modern technology, in the form of a lighter and matches every time.

JMHO
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
I carry a little stove found at the army surplus store for $5...comes with 8 combustible blocks that start easy and every time with lighter or matches. Each block burns for about 10 mins. which gives plenty of time if you need to build a bigger fire.

Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
TBM Tip of The Week
December 30, 2008

Homemade Emergency Fire Starters

When hunting in the backcountry of Colorado, often times you get
caught in a rain shower, and need to dry off or if you're lost,
need to start a fire even when all you have to work with is damp or
wet wood.

I started making these about 10 years ago, and have found them to
be very effective at starting a fire. Simply collect empty egg
cartons and fill each compartment with wood shavings or sawdust and
then melt some canning wax, or recycle an old candle by melting it
down in an old pot or tea kettle (I found mine at Goodwill).

Pour melted wax into each compartment until full, let cool and tear
or cut off each compartment to make individual fire starters. Just
light the side of the fire starter, no need for a wick. We have
timed how long one of these burns without any added fuel, and it
burned very hot for 30 minutes! The flames were about 12" tall.

Sammy Smallwood

This tip comes from a newsletter reader. If you have an interesting
tip you think we could use, please send it to
[email protected].

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »

12" flames are definitely hot enough to dry wet wood out and get a fire going!

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Esbit stove closed up.....blocks store inside stove.

Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
I take a windproof lighter, flint/magnesium, and some vaselined cotton balls along with paracord etc. I got turned around this year and was fine with it knowing that I had everything I needed to spend the night without freezing to death etc. I ended up not having to use it but it was a nice test to see I wouldn't panic etc.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Smallwood, I just received this info. in an email from TBM. I think I will give this a try! I like the length and height of burn on this fuel. I Oregon it can be a real challenge to start a fire!  :rolleyes:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
I've done the egg carton thing and the cotton balls for years. Both work excellent. The egg carton is better if you are going to be dealing with damp wood in my opinion.

Sterno in a 35mm file can is nice to have along also or take cotton balls and rub Sterno all over them.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline zilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
I gave up on thosae magnesium block deals years ago when I needed a fire and it wouldn't work.. I now carry a Bic lighter or two, and a BlastMatch.  I also carry some hurricane matches..  And a small can of lighter fluid.

Some guys around here also carry some fine magnesium type dust that is made by CadWeld.  A spark will ignite it, and it comes in small plastic canisters of various sizes..

A hunting buddy of mine carries some fire starter stuff that I believe he got at Cabelas..  

Damn Nice guy

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
Saw a lot of interesting ways too start a fire in this thread, and I'm sure they all work when dry and out of the wind. I would suggest you all go outside in your back yard in a down pore and howling wind, wait until your almost in a state of hypothermia and try starting your fire withthe method you have selected. It makes a huge difference when your not sitting in your warm kitchen and not shaking so bad you can't put your hands together and all you char cloth and dryer lint is sopping wet. You know its impossible to control what the conditions are going to be when you get hurt or lost and can't get back to camp or your car. The fire must be started quickly in any conditions. As far as I'm concerned there is only one method guaranteed of an instant hot long lasting fire. That is a Road Flare. A standard flare lasts 15 minutes and burns brutally hot will ignite the wettest tinder and wood. I've even taken one and cut it in half. using a sharp knife cut through the paper, then break in half. Hollow out about a 1/2" of the bottom put a wax impregnated cardboard plug and role the paper tube over like the factory did then fill the cavity with melted wax. That flare is only about 5" long and 3/4" in dia. I also carry vasoline soaked cotton balls for times when there is no water and wind.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Sounds like artic survival school at Fairbanks.  That's where I learned to use the flint to start a fire.  

The thread originated to find out how you make one of the flint/ magnesium sticks work.  That's what I did.  

Do I carry matches in my pack?  You bet I do.  I know how hard it can be to get a fire with flint when you are in -20 weather even if there is no wind or rain.  

By all means carry a superior way of making fire but a backup is nice.

Never messed with road flares.  What keeps them from going off in your pack?
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
This is a popular topic that got a lot of input.  What I do has been covered:

The magneium fire starter works great.  I cut a 4" piece off an old hacksaw blade and grind the teeth down to a flat, square edge.  I tie the balde section to the mag block with a piece of cord.  The whole thing goes into a zip-lock bag with about 10 cotton balls with Vaseline in the center.  You are on your own for kindling and fule, but this method will start a good fire at any temperature or weather.

Be prepared.  There are a lot of good ideas here.  And they were obviously sent by folks who have lived through it!

Other survival topics like water, food and shelter would probably be interesting as well.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline DelSnavely

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
I have a mag. block and haven't ever been able to get it to work. I just soak cotton balls in wax and carry a lighter. It's cheating I know but, saving my butt is worth it...lol
I don't know how WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with "sticks and stones"...Albert Einstein

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
I usually pack a flare with me for real emergancies. When you bust threw the ice a 20 below and get drenched and can't get your fingers to work well you can still pop that flare off. Otherwise just a couple of disposable lighters.
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

---------------------------------
If it ain't one thing ,it's ten others

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©