3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who carries "survival" type fire starters?  (Read 2116 times)

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who carries "survival" type fire starters?
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »
The vaseline soaked cotton ball works great with just the flint side of the magnesium fire starter, didn't even need to scrape any magnesium onto it. Hit it with the flint and *poof*-instant flame.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2009, 04:03:00 AM »
This thread has really got me thinking.I always carry a small container of the cotton balls soaked in Vaseline and a waterproof container full of matches in my hunting pack.The other day I decided to try starting a fire.The matches that I have are "strike on box". I tried everything except the box to try to light them but never did get them to light.I even tried sandpaper.They are pretty much useless.So I dug out my old Wallyworld magnesium/flint starter,shaved off a few pieces of the magnesium and hit the flint side with
a jigsaw blade and the cottonball started right up.The cottonball burned for 9 minutes and that should be plenty of time to get some kindling started.
After doing a little research, I did order a new Swedish fire steel.
 http://lightmyfireusa.com/firesteel.html
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
When my dad and i hunted maine we carried seperate "survival packs" which were small camera bags with gear.Our fire starters were bics,strike anywhere matches dipped in parifin & 1" cotton rope soaked in parifin.
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2009, 03:25:00 AM »
All of this is great. I have tried the bow drill and like it 30 sec's max and I have a ember. The drill is matched to the board so getting an ember is easy. With the magnesium I found that the amount of sparks is dependant on the striker material. But according to the instructions that came with the Magnesium bar it said to build a pile of shavings about the size of a nickle(cone shaped) or quarter. They are talking about the base size of the shavings. This I found takes time, also if there is a breeze there goes your shavings. So when I have idle time I scrape piles of the nickle to quarter size and pour this into a stretched out cotten ball, close it over and load the ball up with vasoline. You can get four or five of these into a film canister. When this ball gets a shower of sparks (2 strokes form magnesium) the ball will shoot 4-5 inches of intense magnesium flame, after that the cotten just acts as wick for the vasoline. But, by far the best is a the road flare hands down. The steel wool is another easy starter. It doesn't take much of a spark. But I like to compress the steel wool by twisting it to fit into a film canister. I have passed fire starting methods onto boy scouts for the last 3 years. The egg carton was a different twist from candles though. The 9v and 6v batteries will work but you have to have the right size steel wool for this to be effective. I have since 2001 when I went to a Archery Expo, take one more additional item. It's a butane hobbist torch. About the size of a magic marker. It doesn't last forever but while it's going it'll burn anything in nature. The fire piston I haven't treid as yet. I do have one item of firemaking that I haven't gotten down yet and that is rubbing two bamboo halves. I tried it 10 times over two days and only got a ember once. That was on the secound day. I can get smoke but haven't figured the ember. Saw dust, shavings, lint, kleenex, grass haven't gotten to work with this process yet. Still its a work in progress. Of course any kind of shotshell will work for the powder inside. If used I would only use one shell at a time till I found out how big a flare up you will get from using just one.

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2009, 05:03:00 AM »
I don't have experience with primitive ignition techniques such as hand drills or bow drills, but I have tried quite a few other ignition devices under a variety of conditions. Aside from various types of matches, lighters, magnesium sticks, and ferro-rods, I've used batteries & steel wool, jumper cables & car batteries, magnifying glass, & even a broken glass bottle to ignite tinder.  In ideal conditions, pretty much all of these methods should work very well.  However, they may be long shots at best under dire conditions such as you (or the ignition device) being soaked, or if you are shivering so severely that you have or virtually no manual dexterity, or very cold temperature making the device useless.

There are 3 types of ignition devices, that I always bring with me, which include wood strike-anywhere matches, a butane lighter/torch, and a few ferro-rods.  All 3 have their benefits, but a good ferro-rod is the only one of them that I have found absolutely reliable, whether wet or dry & regardless of the outside temperature.  It is also the easiest to use if your dexterity is compromised.

A) Lighters;

Lighters tend to be the most convenient to use, but the least reliable of the 3. I keep a butane lighter in my pants pocket at all times. I'll have at least another Bic lighter in my coat pocket and/or in my daypack.  The one in my pocket will usually be a refillable isobutane piezoelectric torch lighter like this one;

I like the torch because it is somewhat wind resistant, and is also useful for things such as gear repairs.  The torch lighters do tend to be more flaky than a Bic lighter however.  In cold temperatures butane lighters must be kept in an interior pocket, close to your body for them to work.

Matches;

I keep several wood strike-anywhere matches contained in a metal waterproof container within my daypack survival kit.  DRY matches are more reliable than butane lighters, but are less convenient than lighters and require relatively good manual dexterity to use. Wood matches that are already waterproof, or water & windproof need the special stiker surfaces that come with their box.   For this reason I, don't bother with these types of matches - trying to keep a piece of that fragile striker surface with the matches is not (IMO) paractical.  I do not recommend trying to waterproof strike-anywhere matches by dipping them in paraffin wax or nail polish, because they may not longer strike as easily, if at all.

C)  Ferro-Rod

This is one of those things that nobody should ever enter the woods without (right up there with a good knife, compass, map & survival kits).  I keep one both in my personal survival kit and in my daypack survival kit.  As was mentioned in an earlier post, not all ferro steels are created equal.  My favorite is the one made by Primus.

It is not too bulky, but big enough to keep squeezed between the thumb and index finger of an nearly numb hand. If one hand were non-functional due to injury, I could step on it's handle or even hold it in my teeth.  When firmly scraped wiwith a good steel edge, the ferro-rod will send a shower of sparks that will easily ignite good suitable tinder such as thin birch bark, tissue paper, lint, and vaseline soaked cotton balls (my favorite).

While there is no shortage of natural tinder (birch bark in particular) where I hunt, I prefer to keep tinder with me in both my personal survival kit and my daypack survival kit, as well as coat pockets, lifejacket pockets etc..  What I do is take a cotton ball, rub vaseline into it, squeeze out the excess, then stuff it into the bottom of a plastic bottle cap.  I then melt beeswax into the cotton ball until the wax is level with the rim of the bottle cap. Prior to stuffing the cotton ball into the bottle cap, I run a loop of fishing line throught the cotton ball, so that I can pull the cotton ball out of the bottle cap, even while wearing bulky mittens.

Once the cotton ball is pulled out of the bottle cap, pull the cotton into a fine mesh and hit it with a spark.  It will burn a very hot, with a fairly wind resistant flame for an amazingly long time for such a tiny item. Even at -30, it will burn for at least 10 minutes.  Because of the the wax plug over the bottle cap, you can immerse this in water, remove, shake it off, pull the cotton ball out and it is ready to go. Use just enough vaselingne that you can saturate the cotton ball, but be sure to squeeze out the excess vaseline, because you want to be able to fit as much beeswax into that bottlecap as possible.  The long burn time is because of the wax. The cotton ignites from the spark, the vaseline readily burns from there and burns long enought to get the wax melting and wicking up the cotton.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
this has been my companion for years. I use kitchen "strike anywhere" matches covered in melted candle wax. The compass on mine is good quality.

Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
John,

Is that a   K & M match case ?  I've read that they are a great product.

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
one of them magnesium flint fire starters is always in my pack. Leave one in the car and my backpack as well. hope i never have to use it for real, but i have started many fires with friends for show.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
All the little film canisters and magnesium starters sound romantic and all and great if you live in Texas! Now just imagine yourself going through the ice with your snowshoes on and after getting out your going to try and play with all those little gizmos. Your shaking way worse than your first big buck shot and hypothermia is setting in. A highway flare in your pack is the best and fastest option going. Most come waterproofed but I also have vacuum sealed them as an option. No matter how hard it is raining you have the instant heat to start a fire and 20 minutes of burn time to do so.
hunt it

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
where can you get highway flares?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
I don't live or hunt in Texas, but do know that it takes very little dexterity to use a ferro-rod - nothing romantic about it, it just plain works.  Hopefully, all of you carry a personal survival kit, which stays on your person at all times, whether or not you are wearing a daypack, as well as a more extensive kit that you keep in your daypack.  There are many scenarios where you can be separated from your daypack.

A ferro-rod and the cotton/vaseline/wax stuffed bottle cap are tiny and should be carried on you person at all times.    A fusee is fine in a daypack, but would probably be awkward to always have it on your person.

Here is a link to 3 videos every outdoorsman should watch.  The second one shows making a fire after cold water immersion.

http://www.yukonman.com/cold_water.asp

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2009, 01:07:00 AM »
I'm making a fire piston right now! How interesting that this topic has come up!
There's an awesome build-your-own tutorial in Wiki that walks you through making one out of an old AA maglite. It stays water tight and you can store char cloth in the head. I'll post pictures when I'm done. Just finished the char cloth tonight! Cool stuff!   :saywhat:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Ozymandius

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
The spark-lite is a nice little kit.
Nice demo on You-Tube
"Nothng beside remains. Round the decay Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare, The lone and level sands strecth far away"

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
FlatbowMB,

That was a great link!  I watched all three videos and I was really suprised at all the good info.  That guy is kinda crazy to do what he does but there is no arguing with his personal experience.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Hi Dave,

I did some course work with this guy (he was working on his PhD while I was doing my MSc.) I've seen some of his cold water immersion experiments first hand and they are pretty wild.  He will do any experiment on himself first before asking for volunteers to do the same procdure.

He has also co-written this excellent book that anyone who ventures out in cool or cold weather should read thoroughly:

Hypothermia, Frostbite and Other Cold Injuries

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
What a great read. Bump to the top    :thumbsup:
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
TJ,

Thanks for bumping this up!

snakeeater
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
I like hte flint deal - but I use a magnesium one - never had much problem with it as long as I remember to pick up kindling and keep some in a dry place!!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline saddlesmith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2009, 01:19:00 AM »
Don`t know if any of you fellas have ever heard about butane lighters in real cold weather but
they have been known to blow up.Don`t know why,just seen it in news reports several years ago.Flint and steel are hard to beat

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2009, 01:35:00 AM »
I carry Flint & Steel, as well as waterproof matches in a waterproof container. I also carry a small "church' candle for keep a flame lit and firestarter.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©