3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What happens when you mix your two favorite hobbies?  (Read 641 times)

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
What happens when you mix your two favorite hobbies?
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
I love anything to do with traditional archery and I love coon hunting. So, sometime this week we are going to try and shoot out a coon with the long bow/recurve. The plan is to post the story of the hunt with some pictures. Its going to be tuff. We have some tall trees and some stubborn coons. I hope the boys bring enough arrows LOL.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What happens when you mix your two favorite hobbies?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I've thought about that, since I think it's an ol' coon that comes and eats the cat food out of my cat's dish every night.  I've never caught him at it, and the thought of sitting up all night looking out the window at my cat's dish is not very appealing.  Still, it would be nice to bag a coon in my own backyard.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
good luck sounds like fun! all the best keep us posted..just dont let them shoot strait up   :D
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Since this is a family friendly site, I must confess I've got 3 hobbies that vie for priority in my life...    :smileystooges:   They are bout equal... but not mentioned in any particular order of importance except to demonstrate the conundrum I face in this query...

The Germanic descent part is he root of all my evils...
I love a good beer or three... but that is not acceptable with hunting...   :(  except in celebration after a hunt... but in my hunt camp alcohol is verboden here in  my neck of the woods...) My wife doesn't mind the hunting, but she doesn't want to know bout the killing... so venison should magically appear in the freezer in lil wrapped paper packages...

Well I have three kids (from the same wife of 13 yrs...) and being modest beer can lead to the other hobby, but I can't talk about it or tie it into hunting... so I am not as lucky as you are...    :bigsmyl:
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
Lookin' forward to the story and PICS, Scott...

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
slayer1
    If ya shoot at Coons in the trees, think about using flu flus with a scorpion behind the Broadheads....
    They help tp prevent pass thrus....And in case ya miss the Flu flu dose not let your arrow fly to the next county....
    Have fun,,,,,,,,,,
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:23:00 AM »
we don"t have Coons sounds like fun ,but in the spring we have beaver and muskrats that are fun to bag and eat smoked muskrat is oh so good ,do you eat these coons if so what do they tast like
Gord

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 03:23:00 AM »
Mix the two together and it makes for great fun..just be save  :scared:  Would use flu flu's with a scorpion for sure.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline BOWHAWG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
I thought your were asking a question.  I was going to say "A T-Maxx shot up full of arrows?"

I mostly like to hunt and fly fish.  I also get after the crappie in the spring.  Soon I will be a 36yr old freshman.

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 07:58:00 AM »
Have fun with that.  I have not hunted coon for at least 10 years.  Man I can almost hear the dogs now.  Good luck and looking forward to the story.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Topic: What happens when you mix your two favorite hobbies?

I either miss slightly left, or spill my drink. Neither is good.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:

I either miss slightly left, or spill my drink. Neither is good.
LMAO

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
mix my two favorite hobbies? Thats called bowfishin  :)

As for coonin with a bow....try callin em with a coon fight tape! Plenty of action,,,and yer shootin at the ground so ya lose fewer arras  ;)

My experiance runnin Walkers/English hounds, that bow gets mighty "cumbersome" when dealing with a thick woods, dogs on leashes,totin out coons and archery gear. Its a hoot, dont get me wrong, but I think callin is better suited to the bow. Have Fun and stay safe

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »

Well I found out my flyrod makes for a horrible bow; the flyline is WAY too thick for my arrow nocks and OH MY, the handshock...  :p
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Bowhunter,Bowyer

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
When I was going to college (Montana State U)  I had several friends in Eastern Montana.  Their favortie spring hunting was coons and jackrabbits.  They invited me a couple times and I took by bow along with a stash of cheap arrows and MA-3 heads.

We hunted the coons and rabbits at night.  The rabbits from a Land Rover with two boat seats bolted to the front fender.  As your immagination starts to work with me you will realize that Pat McMannus got nothin on me!  We found lots of rabbits in the roads that crisscrossed the corn and wheat fields. The other guys used shotguns but I used my bow.  Of course they out scored me, but I did manage to get a number of rabbits standing and even a couple running.

Then we went to the trees along the irrigation ditches to look for coons.  We walked rows of corn and the other guys got a few running shots, but most of the coons ran up into the trees.  Then they gave me a chance.

With a spotlight from the Land Rover on a long cord, we shined the trees.  There were lots of beady eyes looking down. If you ever do this, you better consider your arrows as completely disposable!

Every shot I missed either stuck in the tree, or went trough the branches, over the irrigation ditch and into never never land.  Every shot I stuck in a coon - then the coon stuck in the tree!  Ol Charlie climbed up to get a couple but soon decided that was too dangerous for even him!  We tried to blast a couple out of the branches with the shotguns - mostly that was fruitless too.  By then I was out of arrows, they were out of shells and it was time to head back to town and drink some beer!  Yes we were under age at the time, but that is what memories are made of!
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
This is what can happen when I mix three of my favorite hobbies, Bow Building, Bowhunting, and Hounds:

The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
walt francis that is absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man that cat is neat,and looks almost as big as me

love them big cats what an adventure

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
I love traditional archery .....and motorcycle flat track racin !     :scared:   ......ahhhhh   haven't figured out how to combine the two.....YET. These things take time and research.
 :bigsmyl:
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »
what do you do with coons when you shoot them?

I know some old authentic soul food restaurants still serve it. I heard it's greasy if not cooked right.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©