3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New year, new Arrows. Suggestions for carbons.  (Read 193 times)

Offline Eric in FLA

• Trad Bowhunter
New year, new Arrows. Suggestions for carbons.
« on: December 31, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
One of my resolutions for 2009 is to try carbons.

My bow is a Schafer recurve, 62", 68#@28", non FF. I currently shoot a 29.25" 2117 with a 125 BH or a 29" 2020 also with a 125 BH.

I have researched Bemans, Carbon Express, Gold tips and Grizzlystiks. All seem like great shafts. Looking for a hevier arrow than what I currently have, probably around 630 gr finished weight

I would appreciate some suggestions on a starting point. For instance -  a 29.5" CE 350 with ???gr up front.

What has worked for others with a similar set-up?

Thanks,

Eric

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New year, new Arrows. Suggestions for carbons.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
I shoot a 70# recurve and currently using Gold Tips.  I have had really good experiences with these.  I am in the transission area of shafts.  I get good arrow flight either using 55-75 or 75-95 shafts.  I lean towards the 75-95 shafts because of a 31 " draw.  I would suggest going to a good archery shop and trying some before you purchase.

Offline pooahl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
My experience with several dozen shafts is that CX Heritage are much more durable than the Gold Tips. They're also much heavier.  I abuse my arrows (read: I miss a lot), and the two dozen GT's I've had just couldn't take hits on boards, rock, trees, etc. The CX I have now are tough as nails.

Can't comment on Beemans or the Grizzlysticks, though, but I'm sure others will.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
Try cx 250 with brass inserts cut to 31"to start and 145gr tip weight ,, 350s may be too stiff unless you use 100 gr inserts and 250 to 300gr tip weight leave them full legnth and you would have one tough and extreme foc arrow
Gord

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Any .400 spine arrow should match up well for you with the broadheads you're already using. The new Alaskan Grizzly Stik Woodies are pretty heavy at that spine and very durable.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©