3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 09(My Final Thankyou!!)  (Read 27149 times)

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 09(My Final Thankyou!!)
« Reply #1180 on: February 23, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
It's hard to put into words what Shawn and his family endure to put on this event. The entire weekend went on without a hitch. I got to meet alot of new friends and hope to make this a yearly event. Shawn,Cindy,Nicole,and Damon I would like to thank you very much for everything.
 You have touched the hearts of all with your valiant efforts and heart felt dedication to making this what it is. Thanks again,
                    Big Ed
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YYYYYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline homer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1181 on: February 23, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
To Shawn and all the guys- great weekend!!  Glad that I came up from CT with Pete.  Although we didn't get any bunnies, it was still a great hunt.  Lots of cuts, scratches, bruises and laughes. And a lot less arrows! Can't wait to see you guys at the muzzie shoot with my lucky new bow.  Thanks again Shawn and family- see you soon.
          Matt/homer
Work is for people who don't know how to hunt.  People who don't know how to hunt, don't eat well.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1182 on: February 23, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
It was great to see old friends again as they started to filter in......Jeremy, Keith, Brent, Terry, Damon, Jamie, Tom, Mike, Mikey, Jim, Chris, Drew, Moe and Fran, Greg and Larry, Larry, Aram and all of the kids, (some not looking like kids anymore.....Ru!) and I'm sure I've missed some here.....New friends to be made, Doug and Big Ed, who will both figure prominently in stories to come........

Larry(Greg's dad) and I were talking about how total strangers have been brought together through this site and traditional archery, and in a short time it's like we've know each other for a long time.....it never ceases to amaze me.  
As the morning continued we began to organize for the kids only hunt before lunch......here are this years participants.  (The big kid in the back middle is the host and Huntmaster, Shawn)

We have never had a kill by one of the youngsters, we were hoping that this year would be a first......(It's not because they can't shoot, all you have to do is watch them for a while)

After the first drive, we were excited to learn that Drew's son Adam had hit a rabbit, but alas we were unable to recover it......lot's of shots were taken on that first push, a sign of things to come.....

The next push was the Schoolhouse Push, again arrows were loosed but no kills.  Here is where the kids and pushers gathered for a quick rest....

That is Jamie, Shawn and this years guest, Doug Campbell.....

And, here is something I have never seen on any of these hunts, Shawn Leonard gasping for air after a push!!!!!!!!  He is human after all!!!!!!

Gotta go for now, have a tax appointment....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1183 on: February 23, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Wow!  What a great time that must have been!  It's a porr substitute for being there, but the  best thing is getting to read all the stories and see the pics.  
Keep em' coming!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1184 on: February 23, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
BBBBBBBBBB
UUUUUUUUUU
NNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNN
YYYYYYYYYY
!!!!!!!!!!

Man o man I can't say enough thanks to Shawn and Cindy and their family for hosting this event. They did an amazing job with everything.

Also to everyone who made any kind of contribution to this event $5300 for the kids is insane. I am humbled to be a part of this event and to be a member of "THE GANG" what you all have done is selfless.

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

My first Bunny Hunt was an experience I'll never forget. I got a few shots off and even connected with a bunny, he vanished into a hole with arrow still attached so unfortunately it didn't add to the record tally. I was able to put faces to names. Thanks for the good times.

Thanks to Doug Campbell for gracing us with his presence. Congrats on taking a bunny with a special bow. It was a pleasure meeting you, I hope our paths cross again in the near future.

Thanks to Drew for the kids bow he donated. My son went crazy when I told him I won him a new bow just like daddys. And thanks for the knife scales too.

Thanks to Terry (indianabowman)for donating the bowfishing trips. I've been wanting to bowfish for years and now thanks to his generosity I'll be going.

My list of upgrades for next year: brush pants, heavy leather gloves, safety glasses, and a beater bow that won't hurt so much when I get home and see how scratched up it is. Oh yeah and leave the back quiver home or in the car.  lessons learned!!

Can I get an OOOOOOHHHHHHHHH  YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Thanks again SKippy

Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1185 on: February 23, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Im sure there is more to come guys....just the beginning!

Man I feel like I got hit by a truck and slept in a ditch!
Sure was a blast. I have to say a lot of the "newbies" were impressive. Right through the thick of it with the veterans.

OOOOOOOOOHHH  YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1186 on: February 23, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
Hey All, Doug on Shawn's computer here...

Wow what can I say but an absalutley incredible weekend!! Just getting in a little catch up before Cindy takes me for a tour of the area and to the airport. I can't tell you what an honor it was being the "special" guest here or how welcome I've felt. The hospitality is just what I've come to expect from the many TGer's I've had the privilage to meet over the past several years. Shawn, David, Big Ed, Jamie, Skippy, Jeremy, Keith, Brent, Damon, Ru, Aram, Brian, Terry, Jim, Bill... I tell ya the list goes on and on. Sorry I can't remember everyone. It was great getting to put names and faces with "handles" but they came way to fast for my febble brain to keep up. Thanks one and all!!

Before I go I've got to say that I've never met finer or more giving folks that Shawn and his family. Cindy you are a Saint in my book and I hope to be able to return the favor someday!

Not to mention the $5300 raised for the Kids at St Jude Children's Research Hospital!!!!!

Now lets get on with the stories and pics!! My camera didn't fair well last week in TX so it didn't make the trip but I know there are hundreds of photos from others waiting to be posted.

More later after I get home... Thanks again evrybody!!
Shawn

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1187 on: February 23, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Doug it was a pleasure and a honor meeting you.    :campfire:

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1188 on: February 23, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
Kathy,
   :campfire:  
Aram

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1189 on: February 23, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
Have a safe trip Doug.  It was a pleasure spending time with you.

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1190 on: February 23, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
Nikita's feet have not touched the ground yet. Jaime    :thumbsup:

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1191 on: February 23, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
We just got home, as always we had the time of our lives. Shawn thank you for having my family and me to  your hunt, we have attended the past three years and have made so many new friends, and some real lasting friendships, we are counting the days till next year. When I made part way up the bowl on briar back mountain I had a chance to stop and look at some of the goings on, to watch all the fun folks were having and to hear the yelling and carrying on made it worth the long trip. And to top it all off the money raised for the kids is still the best part. Curt, Cade is a real treasure, I had a blast watching him in action and seeing you two together brings back memories of me and Joe when he was that age, I was glad to see all those kids having a good time with their families. Thanks again all I had a blast   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1192 on: February 23, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
Jamie, my hats off to you, that was some shot.. You've become quite the bunny killer shot... :readit:
My older son Chris got a lesson's got a few lesson's. 1-Listen to Dad. Bunny hunting with this group of people is a blast. 2- When a someone there offers you hand up when your in a wet muddy trench and he's on top, you take it. Covered in mud.  :knothead:
My younger son Nick after taking a shot at a running bunny and just missing it as it ran up and out of bunny valley, went into the high grass to chase it down. Coming out a few minutes later, he was no more then 20 feet from the grass with his back to it, when the rabbit ran out and in-between his leggs. He thru his arms and bow up as if to say something he not allowed to say at his age...  :banghead:
Great Great time.   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1193 on: February 23, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
There were a few firsts this weekend, beginning with the only "Catch and Release" bunny I have ever seen......We were walking the hedgerow along the airport heading to the first push at the "Island of Trees".  If you haven't been to the JLMBH, you need to understand that no matter where you are a bunny could explode from underneath your feet, and sure as heck one came busting out of the hedgerow.  He made the mistake of trying to get by Jeremy, who must have the quickest feet in the world. Jeremy reacted to the rabbit, and actually pinned him to the ground with his feet!!!!!! That's right, he caught the rabbit, pinning him to the ground and keeping him alive!!!!  After the appropriate photos and video were taken, we decided we would let the rabbit go and no one would shoot him.  When Jeremy lifted his foot the stunned bunny just sat there for a few seconds, (I think he was stunned a second time when he realized he wasn't going to be shot), and then he ran off into the adjacent cornfield!!!!!   :eek:      :eek:    Here is the only rabbit ever caught and released at the JLMBH!!!!!!!

Way to go Jeremy!!!!!   :notworthy:      :clapper:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1194 on: February 23, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Where do I start? Not set up to post pictures so ya gotta deal with the written word .......

Shawn, you and your family are Wonderful! Ya make this old dog feel like a kid again. Glad we all came up with $5300 for St. Judes. That's So Cool.

Let's see now. Happy I won some nice items at the raffle. Proud to own a knife made by Jeremy. Was interesting seeing the pink outfit (of my design) "In Action" on the basement stairs. Helped a fella (I'm bad with names) find his cell phone in the briars on Sunday. Then got a bunny with a runnin' heart shot!  :D

... mike ...

P.S. I thought a Real Cowboy would be taller.  :(
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1195 on: February 23, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
Awesome fellas!!  Someday I will definatly have to make the trip out there for this one.  I am sure I could get more than a few people from Michigan to share the trip with me!!  Keep the stories and pics coming!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1196 on: February 23, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
O.K. So ya heard about me. Good. Done. Now about the reason "We All" have a such great time.... Ready?

It's Love. We Love Traditional Archery. Love to see our children havin' a blast! Shawn loves to hunt bunnies and make us happy. He is blessed by his moms spirit and his family is given energy from above. The Power Of Love. Simple.

Don't you Love to see a bow at full draw bearing down on that runnin' wabbit in silhuoette against the snow then... "Got It!" Makes Ya Cry Out... "Yes!" See ya Love it. I told you. Am I the only one who can't wait for New Years Eve so I can get in "The Bunny Hunt Frame Of Mind"? Think not. When my wife asked (looking at the wand and gong targets) "What in the #%&@ is that?" I told her what it was for and she said... "You must be out of your mind." That's her way of tellin' me she loves me.  ;)

Simple, ain't it?

... mike ...  :archer:  ...

P.S. Jamies' new name should be "Brush Hog"!
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1197 on: February 23, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
My 2009 JLMBH Bunny   :thumbsup:

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1198 on: February 23, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
New to the traditional game thanks to Bamboo. Was a compound shooter but rapidly losing interest until Mike convinced me to try a stickbow. I was "born again". He also got me to come up to the bunny shoot this year and all I can say is, "Wow!" What a great time. Can't thank Shawn and family enough for the best group hunting experience I've ever had. Even got lucky and stopped one of them critters. Wouldn't have made any difference though if I hadn't. Nicest bunch of guys I've ever been around. And a special thank you to Jamie for literally diving into the briars after my bunny. You da man as they say. Will definitely be back next year. Thanks again.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1199 on: February 23, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Well My Friends, It looks like I missed the BEST JLMBH ever!!!!!   :(  

(but they just keep getting better,so next year.....)   :clapper:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©