3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 09(My Final Thankyou!!)  (Read 27113 times)

Offline Peter Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 09(My Final Thankyou!!)
« Reply #1280 on: February 24, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
I cant wait to take josh along one day, but for now Im going to be selfish.

pete
You get what you get.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1281 on: February 24, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
What i want to know is "Where are ya Curt?" I know ya have some great pics. and to have Cade along is another first!! He is turning into a very good hunter and a fine young man!! He did very well to keep up with this motely crew!! OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1282 on: February 24, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
All of those kids kept up, and if you think about it, they had a heck of a hunt before anyone else....that is hardcore in my book. You guys are raising some impressive kids, thats for sure.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1283 on: February 24, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
I can't thank Jeremy enough for the great little knife he made for my Cade! Cade's been asking me for a knife for a while now, Jeremy blew him away with what he handed to him! Thank you so much bud, he's all about his "custom knife". I'll get a pic tomorrow.....

The first push on the youth hunt didn't go as planned, and I blame myself for that. I misunderstood Shawn thinking that Damon was going to bring more kids around another way to cover another side. Well some did get some shooting, but we think most of the bunny's escaped thru the un-covered side...my bad!!

One bunny did come screaming past us though and Cade managed to release an arrow that only made it about five feet into the brush as Bill L. filmed....that was cool!

The "huntmaster" after the first youth push...

David(Hunterdfk) and his boy Hunter....

Our special guest Doug Campbell.....

The next push produced more shots, as we heard a lot of arrows flying off to our left. Then I noticed a furball "totin' the mail" crossing behind us, Cade and Hunter let one fly. Cade was funny, he lost track of where the bunny was but still shot where he last saw it. He said, "you told me I'll never kill one if I don't shoot", so I shot!  I luv'um!!!!

Shortly after that, another bunny crossed in front and that's the one Drewsbow's sharp shooting son Adam(he's a very talented traditional archer!) hit on the run! Unfortunately Shawn's dive came up just short of recovering the bunny. He had the fur on the arrow to prove it...

Next push was the Schoolhouse push....again,shots fired and a lot of laughs. Cade "on point"....

Then it was back to the house for a quick lunch. It was then that David Knipes(vermonster13) handed me another knife to give to Cade. A Shrade Oldtimer "Sharpfinger", smae as the first knife my Dad bought for me when I was getting ready for my first hunting season...Thanks David!!!!! We looked for you, Cade wanted to thank you personally, but you dissappeared....

Can you imagine...and new bow and his first two knives and the hunt was just getting started. I'd like to personally thank everyone for making Cade feel so welcome, all the kind words about him. Espscially Cindy, Nichole for keeping him occupied while he was at the house without me. It was good to know he was in such good hands...thank you so much!

And I'd like to thank Doug, David, Shawn, and Big Ed for watching over him when I was pushing...you all left a huge impression on him!  

A quick group photo and we were off for the hunt!!

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1284 on: February 24, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
After seeing how many kids where there this year I had to make a few trips to the truck. Wanted to make sure there were enough raffle prizes for all of them. Tried to be anonymous about it but Shawn's ladies caught me loading it up and gave me a hand. Drewsbow and Tom Phillips were a big part of that as was Mike Mecredy.

Glad Cade likes the knife. After reading how you lost your's in the knife forum and knowing that Jeremy had a replacement for me I figured Cade would be a good home for that one. Lot's of hunting left in it and it is a very experienced blade though it pales to that beauty Jeremy made him.    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1285 on: February 24, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Curt, awesome pics. man. Cade is growing up quick and Cindy and Nicole said he was a fine and polite young gentleman!! Kids are the future of our sport and i think we hooked a few on this hunt!! OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline homer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1286 on: February 24, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
Hey guys just wanted to say hi- love all the stories that have been posted- just wanted to tell you sometimes during the work day I find myself laughing and want to scream "bunny!". Hope to get the pics up soon and hope everyone is well.  Thanks again Shawn and family.

Matt
Work is for people who don't know how to hunt.  People who don't know how to hunt, don't eat well.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1287 on: February 25, 2009, 06:51:00 AM »
It's gonna be a looooong year waiting to do this again. But Well Worth It! Thanks Again Everyone!

... mike ...  :wavey:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1288 on: February 25, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
Matt, It good hunting with you bud. I'm sure Shawn will say the same thing...you can hunt with us anytime bro! You were a bustin' fool!  It was a lot fun to be next to you and Greg on the Briarback Mt. push as those bunny's came boiling out of the bowl and between us....I know Cade got 4 shots,and I got 5.....bet you and Greg got at least that many each also....that was fun! See you at Muzzy!!

more pix coming.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1289 on: February 25, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Way too long Mikey......

Curt, it was my pleasure hangin' with Cade, I wish we were close enough to do it more often.  I swear he must have drawn Jeremy's knife from the sheath 50 times if he drew it once to show it to me or to simply look at it.  I know Hunter enjoyed the time he spent with Cade also.

Sunday came and I gotta tell you, every part of my body was tight and sore, but after a couple cups of coffee,(8 or 9), some shooting, and lunch we were raring to go.

One of the highlights of of the pre hunt shooting is the "running bunny" shot, a wooden disk which is flung along the ground at various speeds.........here is a group of shooters readying for the next rabbit.....

Same thing, but from the other end of the line....

Those disks took a beating on Sunday morning......

Sunday was also the day that Keith and Hunter got into it a little, in a friendly sort of way.....I don't know how it started or why, all I know is it ended in a shooting competition at Mikey's "Gong" target.  With the pressure on and a "whole lot of cash" on the line, 12 year old Hunter somehow managed to ring the bell once more than Keith did.......Hunter had no qualms taking that dollar bill from Keith and stuffing it in his pocket.........

Stay tuned, Briarback Mtn is coming soon!!!!

:scared:    :scared:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1290 on: February 25, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
More pics! More pics!
It hurts so good to see all the fun, all my friends, all the friends that I didn't get to meet this year!   :banghead:

Aram, Spirit is so glad you like the sheep. It was out of her "private stock" and had never been slobbered on. She has only given one other sheep away, and that was to Brent Rudolph, because she felt that the creator of the "Sheepeater Spirit" bow must be kin somehow. Tell Nikita congratulations on his bunny from me!

I sure wish somebody would send me a large file pic of the group shot, Guru.  
   :pray:    

Another incredible hunt, Shawn!
And yes...Cindy is a saint!
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1291 on: February 25, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
Bunnies lived this weekend because you weren't here Killie, we missed you.......you have a pm.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1292 on: February 25, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Briarback was a blast. Dave and I had one cornered at the creeks edge,I knew it was there but couldn't see it and couldn't move. Dave made one heck of a shot,then went in head first after it. Hope some one post the pics, His head was a mess but the smile never left his face. Then as we were regrouping with the pushers Doug and I happened along a sitting rabbit. Sitting in the knarls of Briarback. I made sure it was a rabbit with a clean miss, then anchored him with the second. The harvest was just icing on the cake. hopefully Doug and David will pick it up from here. Man you want to talk about fun. Shawn,Curt,David,Doug,Damon,Terry,Bill, and the list could go on for miles, Hope we have the pleasure to cross paths before the Next Bunny Hunt. My door and camp is always open. Can't wait to see you all again. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1293 on: February 25, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Man, I dont know about you guys, but I get an involuntary twitch every time I read the words "Briarback mountain". I still have one thorn to get out...too deep for conventional methods.

Killy, you were missed. I had a hard time deciding if I was donating your arrow or not...but decided I would in the spirit of things. Maybe someone will bring it, or another, next year. I also heard one of your arrows was found? Lose any last year?

Great pics guys...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline homer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1294 on: February 25, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Hey Curt- thanks! I appreciate the note, any time you and Cade want to come and hunt here in CT let me know, I would love to take Cade out and get him a turkey with his bow.  And yes, Briarback Mtn was a blast I got 4 or 5 shots and if I wasn't laughing so hard at myself I probably would have gotten more. Hope to see you guys sooner than later, maybe we can get together and shoot for an afternoon.

Matt
Work is for people who don't know how to hunt.  People who don't know how to hunt, don't eat well.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1295 on: February 25, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
We did miss you greatly Killie.Please put in for your time off soon, like "TODAY"I kept looking around from time to time expecting to spot you in the crowd of blaze even though I knew you were not there.There is a reminder on its way to you tomorrow.I wish it was sooner but I got busy preparing for Mrs.Leonards hunt.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1296 on: February 25, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Hey Mikey, I just ride a tall horse   ;)  

Killy, it would have been great to have you there.

Brierback Mtn was quiet a place, I came out with both ears and a few other things bleeding, my legs later looked like I had chicken pox or something even with brush pants on. I witnessed Dave going in after that bunny and took a pic you gotta see but it's on his camera, I'm sure it'll be coming soon   ;)  

My favorite picture I brought home. Big Ed is my Hero and welcome at my fire anytime!! We ran this bunny a couple circles in the rose briers then he tried taking refuge under a log. Shooting thru an incredible bunch of trash Ed pinned him in with a quiver full of arrows   ;)   I was able to finish the job shooting Miss Hope, one sweet shooting bow by the way!

Brent, sorry again about the little mishap with Izzy's rabbit...    ;)  

Here's a couple of pics that speak for themselves, don't remember which kid it was but by the end of day one I think he was tuckered   ;)  

Thanks again everybody for the great welcome to NY and the warm hospitality!!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1297 on: February 25, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Kinda looks like Joe to me...but who could tell. That is a perfect depiction of how we all felt on Sunday Im sure...
                         -Jamie

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1298 on: February 25, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
As far as I know, I only lost one arrow last year. It was the one I was gonna give to Shawn, but the last I saw of it, it was wagging on the back of a runaway rabbit, and we think it went under a shed.

Bummer, Shawn.   :(  

I had my leave slip in, and it was approved, but there is a national count of rural routes going on, and no substitute can or will look for and record all the stuff that I am supposed to be getting credit for. Matter of fact, I know I can't be catching all of it either! But my route's rating, hence my salary, and even whether or not I get a day off are on the line, and I have to be here.

I filled out the forms in triplicate, and jumped through all the hoops, and was supposed to be born independently wealthy. Dang shysters! Here I am, not two nickles to rub together, and I can't go back and try again.
Double bummer.

Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1299 on: February 25, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Actually I lost the arrow killy gave me last yr as I've been carring it and a couple others for awhile now.It'd be awesome if it somehow came home...I looked hard on Sun after I noticed it gone...one of the down falls of a back quiver
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©