3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 09(My Final Thankyou!!)  (Read 27114 times)

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 09(My Final Thankyou!!)
« Reply #1300 on: February 25, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
On 2nd thought who ever found it should keep it and know she's seen some miles...enjoy    :bigsmyl:
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1301 on: February 25, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
To Indiana Bowman. That beautiful little bow you described was made by Bamboo, better known as Mike Robin. He does beautiful work and I keep telling him he's in the wrong business and should start making bows for a living. I'll pass along your compliments when I see him though he's probably already seen your post.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1302 on: February 25, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Briarback Mtn.......   :scared:      :scared:   the mere thought of it makes me tense up......As we started on the hour long trek through the densest and biggest briars you will ever see, I stepped on a log and into some briars, promptly my feet went out from under me and my butt was suspended in briars with my feet in the air.....I just laid there for a second while Keith kept asking if I was ok.  I got up and mumbled something about never doing this $*&^%$(^$ push again!!!!! We made it throught the first section, and then started on the second, with me and Mike down along the creek edge on the bottom, Doug and Brent just above us.  A bunny busted out from up high and came right down past us, it was so quick none of us even brought our bows up.  Mike and I found ourselves crawling thought the briars while pushing our bows in front of us, man I hate that place!!!!  We came to the next opening, and above us guys were preparing to surround a rabbit when I heard Big Ed say he had a rabbit in front of him.  I started towards him, there was a point of land that he was entering from the backside saying the rabbit was in there in front of me.  As he said it I saw it hopping along, Big Ed moved and the rabbit moved, I was the only one in position to see it.  I climbed the creek bank and saw him sittin there in ultra thick briars about ten yards away......somehow I found a hole and got an arrow through it and heard the thump of the arrow hitting home.....the next thing I see is the rabbit with my arrow flopping off of the five foot high creek bank with my arrow still in him.  Off the bank go my rabbit and my arrow.......only to have my arrow get caught up in the briars, with the rabbit still attached and hanging in the air.  I threw my bow down, and dove into the briars, losing my hat, and a bit of blood.  I had to reach out over the bank to my arrow, and pull it and the bunny back to terra firma, then fight my way back out to where Doug and Big Ed were standing.  Thanks Ed for the help......here is the result......one dead Briarback Bunny....

Believe it or not, it gets better from here.....just remember Big Ed and Doug......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1303 on: February 25, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
David you aint telling the truth when you say you hate Briar Back MT.Its just like a wife that you sometimes dont see eye to eye with but you still love dearly when you sit back and think on it.
                      Izzy

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1304 on: February 25, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
One of the finest family's I've ever met and hope to do more hunting with. Terry's(Indianabowman)bunny....

Izzy and son Noah....

John ?, but I know he's Bill Langer's bro-in-law.....

Jamie(ishiwannabe)....

more to come soon...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1305 on: February 25, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Huntrdfk:
I threw my bow down, and dove into the briars, losing my hat, and a bit of blood.
David
Those briers grow thick with all the blood-meal fertilizer. And if you've been there you know most of it, by far, is not bunny blood.
Keep the stories coming. I'm relieving every Briar Back Mo. moment of pain and aggravation, and enjoying every bit of it.    :bigsmyl:
Thanks,
Aram

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1306 on: February 25, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
David you aint telling the truth when you say you hate Briar Back MT.Its just like a wife that you sometimes dont see eye to eye with but you still love dearly when you sit back and think on it.
                      Izzy
Izzy that's what Keith said!!!!!!!

David

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1307 on: February 25, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Look at that smile on Noah.  He sure looks proud of his Dad.  

He's a veteran of 3 bunny hunts now.  His first was the year with the big snow, almost taller than him.  Izzy had him on his shoulders most of the morning.  Move ahead 2 years and that young man toughed it out and hunted hard all day both days.  

Izzy's been a killer on these hunts and Noah is a big part of why.  He's a good luck charm.  He offered up a little luck to me on Sunday's lunch.  He said he had 1005% luck in him, and that he would give me 5%, but the other 1000% had to go to his Dad.

Doug, The young guy in your pic is Drew, Chris' brother.  He don't look tired to me, he's got the string taught looking under the brush for bunnies.  He knows where to find them.  ;)

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1308 on: February 25, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Huntrdfk@Work:

Originally posted by Izzy:
                      Izzy
Izzy that's what Keith said!!!!!!!

David [/b]
David,  How did you get that from "SHOOT ME".

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1309 on: February 25, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
O.K., O.K. So I didn't get all bloody. Had my leather lined hat on and was ready for a head charge into the thorns...... But Shawn never picked me for a brush buster.  :rolleyes:  Guess he thinks I'm too old or too short or something.  :p

I've gotten a free ride too many years in a row. You all have my word on this. Next Year I'm Gonna Be A Thorn Diver! I dig shooting at bunnies. Missed five on Saturday. Got a gift shot Sunday. Now... I WANT TO BE THE DOG!!! Only thing is if I get hung up in a rose bush, please don't leave me there. Please.......

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1310 on: February 25, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Doug, the same goes anytime. My door is always open. Enjoyed the time together, hope the time is shorter between our next get together. Only just this past week end meeting Doug felt as if we had been friends for ever. Now I got me a little cowboy buddy.LOL. Someday we'll float some flies or fling some arrows, at least shoot the breeze. All time well spent. Hoping its with a few of our Tradgang bros. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1311 on: February 25, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Don't worry Waysiah, You are just "short" My Brother!!!!!

You can walk UNDER all that thick tangly stuff.Just get on a track and dog that bunny like a big old buck!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1312 on: February 25, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Doug, The young guy in your pic is Drew, Chris' brother. He don't look tired to me, he's got the string taught looking under the brush for bunnies. He knows where to find them.  
Yeah, that was Drew. He sure was shot by the end of this hunt. Amazing how a little food and water perked him right up. I really wanna thank all of you though. This whole experiance (both the bunnies he shot at and the people he met) has really set the hook for his bowhunting future. Thank you all, guys...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1313 on: February 25, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
Chris, great young man there. Sorry I mis-identified him.
Im sure he will grow to be a very successful hunter, just like you.

Man I cant wait until my boy can tag along....
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1314 on: February 25, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Keith, it was about the time you told me how much I loved Briarback and would always come back to do it........

More hunts, after the next push on Briarback we came to a small opening along the creek, there were a couple of guys looking into the woods, and as we got closer we saw more guys about ten yards into the woods circled around a briar patch.  Big Ed, Doug and I were walking by when Ed stopped and said, "is that a Bunny?"  He and Doug looked hard, Ed's bow came up and his arrow was off......thump!!!!! Another dead bunny, Ed jumped into the briars and retrieved his bunny, all in front of others standing around the patch....here are Big Ed and Doug with Ed's bunny.....great job Ed!

As we moved along, Doug had asked me how far we had to go, I tried to explain it but as we continued, we could hear hunters in front of us screaming BUNNY!!!!! I told Doug it was over the next ridge and there would be a big bowl with rabbits everywhere......we topped the ridge and started into the bowl,  I stopped and told Ed I was going to kick a brush pile, I did and two rabbits came out, one fast and up the hill, another slower and towards the hunters lining the bowl ridge.....I hadn't gone ten more yards when the yelling told us the rabbit was headed back towards us. Ed was slightly ahead of me on the left, Doug slightly behind on the right.....I saw a the rabbit coming, he disappeared ina briar patch and I saw Ed draw and shoot, then draw and shoot again, then draw and shoot again, and again and again all the while telling me the rabbit was right in front of me.  I could see Ed's fletching in the briars but no rabbit, then Doug worked his way in from the right.  I see Doug draw and shoot, and hear the familiar thump, another dead rabbit, this time with Hope, and killed by our guest.......Here is one of my favorite images of the hunt.....

I'll be back later.....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1315 on: February 25, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
Guys, these stories are what this hunt is all about. The memories that we all can share and actually re-live through their telling!! I can see Curt and Cade on the end of briarback mountain drawing and shooting almost in unison as the shouts of BUNNY and coming at ya ring out in the snowy, damp air. It makes me proud to help bring us together and create all these lasting memories!! Keep them coming guys!! Great stuff!! OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1316 on: February 25, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Looks like a great time! Hope to make it out next year Shawn. Dang Doug..........nice shot!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1317 on: February 25, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
David, one of the best pics. yet!! Great shot that Doug made as well!! I can even see the 1/2" thorns on those multi-flora rose shoots!! OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1318 on: February 25, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
No way am i going to miss this next year. Great job Shawn and all who helped. Good cause, Good people,= Great Time. Keep the pics and stories coming i was there in spirit. TD.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1319 on: February 25, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Great pic David! but did you wait until you guys were in the nice stuff to take it?

Oh, and I just got yet another thorn out of my arm. Only one to go...I think?

There was just as much action on my end of the push. That bowl is no joke! Rabbits anywhere, everywhere and in between-and if Shawn ever runs out of arrows, all he needs is clippers and time...I know I left a few there that were just to far to get to.
Besides, I had some serious beagle-retreiving to do on that upper end. I was lobbing bunnies out to the shooters every five minutes it seemed. Kinda reminded me of the grenade range at Benning...

Does it get any better? I think not...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©