3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 09(My Final Thankyou!!)  (Read 27091 times)

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 09(My Final Thankyou!!)
« Reply #1380 on: February 27, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
I got to see Curt shoot at that bunny in Rabbit Valley...here comes the rabbit and Curt draws back and lets one fly, looks to me like he connected, next thing I hear is, "Hey I think I hit it", then Curt drops his bow andd takes off on a mad dash after the bunny, I'm laughing like crazy as I watch both the bunny and Curt run out of sight.
  Shortly after that Curt comes back and I ask,"did you get him?". "No, David shot him in the head".
  That's one of the great things about this hunt, sometimes you cut hair, sometimes you run them down, and sometimes you put them right in the lap of another hunter, and when they make the shot, you are just as happy for them as if you'd shot it yourself.
  Shawn, glad to hear the arrows work for you.
  I got to handle the knife that Ru made and Bamboo won...it was hard handing it back to him, sweet knife for sure.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1381 on: February 27, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Yep I seen the whole thing , If David had not shot that bunny he would have been plowed over   :biglaugh:
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1382 on: February 28, 2009, 05:11:00 AM »
I saw Curt's shot and then the chase   :bigsmyl:  Curt yelled to me that David had shot it. This was all taking place when I shot mine it actually came from their direction with lots of yelling here it comes, there was sure a lot of excitement going on at one time. It will be nice to see the footage Bill shot just to see more of the action, I'm sure there are hundreds of stories and memories that are untold.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1383 on: February 28, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
Good memories    :clapper:

As we talked about earlier, Hunter gave Cade his bow that he'd outgrown. Jeremy had given him an incredible custom knife for his first. I knew just what I was going to add to this to make it an even sweeter package. I've been saving this quiver for something special.....check out this set-up....

Now add Jeremy's knife and it's perfect!

As you can see it all "fits", what a cool little package.....At the hunt he asked me for a "quiver with more arrows" after "Briarback Mtn"....

Here's the Knife Vermonster gave Cade that was just like my first knife my Dad bought for me when I started hunting(wish I still had it, lost after guttting my second deer)...Schrade "Sharpfinger"..

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1384 on: February 28, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Congrats Curt! your daughter will love it.

I've been super busy this week and haven't had time to contribute much but I'll tell a little story about my bunny from "rabbit valley".

When we finally started out from Shawn's house it looked like an invading army was heading for the State house in Albany (yeah, wishful thinking, anyways) Mikey (mcgroundstalker) and I decided to just hang back from the crowd to help make sure no one got lost and any newbies were in the best position possible. I kept trying to get some pics of the whole crew but there were just so many hunters that it was impossible. This picture is about as close as I could get, and I think this is only about 2/3 of us.

I think Mike and I are of the same opinion that this hunt is much less about the kill and so much more about the actual experience and comrade. The funny thing is Mike and I both had many shot opportunities even though we weren't in the thick of things so to speak.

When we got to to the circular field, there were plenty of people covering the hill side. Mike and I were standing on top just watching when I noticed a rabbit over towards rabbit valley that was getting the heck out of Dodge WAY before we got to that drive. Having been here before I knew there was a series of holes in one corner of Rabbit valley that year after year the rabbits try to get down. I decided to beat feet over to those holes and try to plug up as many as possible before the hoards had every bunny in the valley going underground. Now most years we have plenty of snow to kick in the holes but not this year. I was left to pick rocks and branches to stuff in the holes. Once the circular field drive was done, Shawn sent several people up along the top of the corn field. I tried to get several people to stand up in that corner, but they all seemed to want to go down the hill and be in the middle of the drive so I ended up staying there knowing that before it was over there would be plenty of rabbits heading for that corner.

As the drive progressed I watched a half dozen rabbits blow out the top of the valley into the cornfield. In years past we never had that kind of cover in that field and I think the rabbits used it to their advantage. Eventually one rabbit decided to try to get down one of the holes I was covering. I didn't ee him until he was at 10 feet and closing fast so I snap shot from about 3/4 draw and managed to skewer him just before he made it to a hole I hadn't seen. He managed to make it down that hole but still had my arrow attached so I dropped to my knees and went in after him. I got very lucky in that the arrow kept him from getting too far down the hole. Someone took this picture for me and I really appreciate it.

One last picture. This is from Sunday in the middle of Brier Back Mountain. This is right after Big Ed had emptied his quiver at a bunny and Doug is trying to pull the rabbit out the other side. I'm only about 25 yards above them in this shot and I never saw this rabbit, but I sure laughed my butt off watching everything unfold.

Thanks again Shawn and family for hosting such a great hunt for a great cause! I can't wait for next year!
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1385 on: February 28, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Way To Go Brent! We had "The Back Door" covered most of the time. Guess it's just that I'm a sloooow walker.  :rolleyes:  Think it has more to do with watching the group get all set up and diggin' what's happening from afar......

I LOVE THIS STUFF! Can we do it again? And Again?

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1386 on: February 28, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
That's the group of us trying to make our way out of Briarback right after Ed built a fort of arrows around a rabbit so Doug could shoot it....there's me, Big Ed, Mike, Doug near that tree to the left, I'm not sure who the other two are......I was pretty happy to be gettin' out of that mess.....  :bigsmyl:  

Great pic Brent, and nice job on that rabbit too.  :thumbsup:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1387 on: February 28, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
Looks like Ron W and Izzy. Man that pic brings a smile to my face, as well as all the others. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1388 on: February 28, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Great pics. Brent!! Glad ya made it to the hunt as well!! I believe that next year I will take the Mikey and Brent approach. i pushed every push thi syear and although i had 14 shots over the two days, I did not kill a bunny. I agree this hunt has become very much about the friendships and the comraderie, but I still like to stress we are here to hunt and hunt we shall do!! 19 rabbits is a long way from the two we killed at the first hunt and I hope we can continue to kill some every year, but most importantly I hope we can continue to gather and raise money for the kids!! Thye are our future and to see so many of them coming along and growing before our eyes makes me proud to be part of such a great group of folks!! OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1389 on: February 28, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Hey Guy's, I have pulled a few all nighters and I am getting close to finishing our story on film. Going to the post office this morning  to see if any pics have come yet. Hope to have copies ready in about 2 weeks....

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1390 on: February 28, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
Anyone else read this with a perpetual smile?

Wish I had pics for ya Bill. I usually do, but my camera went on vacation with my mom....lol.

Glad Cade made out so well. Looks like his sister will too!

Awesome stuff.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1391 on: February 28, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
Big Ed, what a pleasure it was to meet you for the first time.Your enthusiasm is is contagiuos and I wont soon forget the rabbit standoff with Doug and you.What I wouldnt give to be watching that from a birdseye view.Hope to cross paths with you before too long.My father in law lives in Matamoras, PA so I get down there from time to time and Ill be down for Denton as well.If you ever travel north give me a shout.

Izzy

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1392 on: February 28, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Same goes Izzy. I'll stay in touch with you, we'll try and hook up at some point this summer. Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1393 on: February 28, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Big Ed, the Muzzy shoot is in Aug. ya ought to try and make it!! Great time there as well. I would hunt with you anytime my friend, I was so glad ya finally made one of these hunts. We do know how to put on a bunny hunt!! I am off to get a jacuzzi suite with Cindy. She deserves some RR after the last month or so. I will post more tomorrow!! I sold the Centaur guys, just could not shoot it with the low brace and when i raised it, it lost its performance. Good news is I have a new RER LX longbow on its way!! Check it out on another thread about RER bows. Have Fun and I will check in tomorrow!! OOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1394 on: February 28, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Bill, the pictures should get there anyday.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1395 on: February 28, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
What about the second day?????.......
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1396 on: February 28, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Im sure they are mentally editing those stories Mike...

And I finally got the thorn out...or my wife did, while I twitched and whined....lol.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1397 on: February 28, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Terry, They were not here today so I will check again on monday. The footage is fun to watch. I know you all will enjoy it.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1398 on: March 01, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
Bill, was I supposed to send my pix, if so I'll get them to you asap....

I have my day 2 pix loaded and ready to post in a little while.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1399 on: March 01, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
 I have my day 2 pix loaded and ready to post in a little while.....  
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©