3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow and airlines?  (Read 435 times)

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
bow and airlines?
« on: January 01, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
I usually only carry on luggage when I fly. I was wondering if a bow is in a case, like the tube types three rivers sells, will the airlines allow those to be carried on. Or are they considered a weapon?

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow and airlines?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
You will have to check it as checked baggage. They will consider it a weapon.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Well a bow is a weapon .. .Isn't it?

Only in the checked baggage.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Definately not.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
I would send it ahead of time by USPS - PRIORITY in a PVC tube. I wouldn't trust the airline to safely carry any luggage.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
I have flown with that exact case (by Viking Voyager) many times.  With both the longbow and recurve version. You cannot carry the bows on the plane.

Every airline I've been on considers the bows "sporting equipment" just like skis and includes them in your "free" checked baggage allotment.

Most evertime I fly my bowcases go to the "oversized" baggage area; so while waiting for your regular bags find the oversized area and you will get out quicker.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
I would send it ahead of time by USPS - PRIORITY in a PVC tube. I wouldn't trust the airline to safely carry any luggage.    Pat
Tom that's probably the best way to go if you're going to take a couple back with you.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
What about a 3 piece TD bow? If its in a TD case can it be carried on or does it also have to go in your checked luggage? I've got a trip planned in October and am wondering what the best way to get my bow there is...Thanks
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
You guys suggesting to send ahead of time by USPS Priority Mail should re-think and consider another idea. I have a bow in the mail sent from PA to IL for 3 weeks now and they(USPS)have no clue where it is. Good thing it was insured for what he paid for it. Plus, if you send it USPS Priority Mail it travels by air just like your luggage does. Sorry for being a little hostile but this whole thing has me quite ****** off. Well, nobody bats a .1000  IJ
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
I have flown with my bow all over the country.  I stick my 3piece takedown in the center of my military duffle bag and surround it tightly with clothes no problems yet.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
I've sent bows, arrows, staves, bundles of hardwood shoots and raw cane, all USPS, priority and never lost a thing. One of our local postal clerks told me if you want to ship anything of value to send it priority...fewer hands touch it that way. If you need to track the package get delivery confirmation. I rarely insure what I send because most are raw materials or things I have built myself and USPS doesn't want to accept value of handmade items. For commercial bows I would insure them.
   I went to Colorado 2 years ago on an elk hunt. I shipped 2 bows, a dozen arrows, all my camping stuff and hunting cloths, etc. All got there in a few days and no damage occurred with anything. I shipped it all home too with the same results.
   I never check baggage at the airport because most of the time it isn't where it is supposed to be when I get there.      Pat
    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
I figured that a bow couldn't be carried on but just thought I'd ask.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
Well, I used to work for Delta as a mechanic and have flown quite a bit with a bow (I was able to fly for free).  But more importantly, I've seen thousands of planes loaded and unloaded and I've seen ramp operators in action where passengers don't.  99.9% of the time all goes well but when things get hectic, accidents happen.  It was a running joke at the airlines that any letter written by an employee to explain an accident or incident that put him question always starts with "While rushing to avoid a delay...."  It's a very fast paced job at times so, $h!t happens.

A couple things you can do to help ensure the safety of your bow are:

1.  Always use the most heavy duty case you can afford/find.  I've had two of the heavy schedule 40 pvc cases busted.  Both times the bow was ok and the airlines paid for the price of the case.  PVC and the fittings/endcaps are not cheap and it takes close to $40 to build one

2.  Always put your bow in a bow sock and then find a big piece of soft foam like an old sofa cushion.  Cut two circles about twice the diameter of the tube and shove one of them all the way to the bottom as a cushion on that end.  Then, cut a slit in the center of the second piece and slide it onto the top limb of your bow about 15 to 20 inches.  Slide the bow into the case and when you get to the foam on the top limb, compress it around the bow and force it into the tube.  That will keep the bow centered in the tube so it doesn't flop around.  It also serves the more important purpose of keeping the bow snuggly in the tube if an end cap gets broken.  Both times my tubes were broken it was on the ends but since my bow did not come out of the tube, it survived.  Put a third piece of foam over the top end before screwing the end cap in place.

3.  When checking in, request to have it "hand carried" or "gate checked".  This is common for skis and fishing poles.  There may be a small charge but not likely most of the time.  If it is gate checked, when you come out of the plane into the jetway, to should be waiting right there for you in the jetway.  Gate checked items are the last on the plane and the first off.  The ramp operators usually have them out of the cargo and into the jetway before coach starts to deplane.

4.  Modify your tube so that it can't roll.  You can use two blocks of wood cut to triangle shapes with a hole bored in them to fit over the tube and glue them in place before the end caps are put on (If making your own) or you can cut 3 pieces of wood like an old broomstick and use glue or heavy tie wraps and fasten them to the outside.  Evenly spaced, they form 3 "corners" and the tube will not roll.  If you have access to a strap banding tool, that works great.  This is important because a tube that rolls can roll off the baggage belt loaders and get run over or get stuck in the airport terminal conveyor system, cause jams, get broke etc.  I once watched from the terminal window while waiting to board and saw the rampie driving a belt loader to the plane with my bow tube on it and as he turned, the tube rolled off and right in front of a tug pulling a bag cart.  Luckily the other guy stopped in time.

And, as someone else pointed out, sending it via mail carrier avoids pretty much none of these issues.  It all has to get shipped by plane.

Also note, I've been out of the industrie for about 3 1/2 years and security changes may have occured that prevent gate checking at some airlines.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 03:06:00 AM »
Once heard a story about a guy who told the flight attendant that his takedown recurve in a carry case was a fancy wooden coat hanger and two sock stretchers....  He said she believed it.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 03:43:00 AM »
All this talk about bows in airplanes and mail systems and such makes a guy with a bow in shipping nervous...   :pray:  

My Kota Kill-um shipped Monday from North Dakota and will be here hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.   It’s been a long 7 month wait and I’m sure my mail guy is sick of me stalking him, I had to get my snow camo out last month.  I didn’t want to call Mr. Finley again after I talked to him earlier in December, he thought he’d have it quicker…so I just look everyday when the mail guy comes to my door.  Tim called Saturday to let me know the bow would ship on Monday…kid in a candy store comes to mind.  :jumper:  

It's being shipped priority mail for the record...I'm blocking the image of someone out there having their hands on it.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
Dave you ideas are great but #3 gate check would be fine but security will not let you in the secure area with a bow to begin with.I think I am right.Kip

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Yup, that's why the last sentence was:

"Also note, I've been out of the industry for about 3 1/2 years and security changes may have occured that prevent gate checking at some airlines."
Dave

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
I 2nd the usps re thinkin... I shipped a widow td longbow and it came up missing..after a month or so they paid the insurance which was less than what I had taken out on it as they figured it was worth less ???  anyway the bow showed up about 2 months after that in a nearby town.. someone at usps had stolen it and sold it to the local archery shop which I was friends with.. I will never again ship usps....plus thier tracking sucks..
yea.. I get pretty riled up over that...!
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©