3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ACS or WIDOW????  (Read 541 times)

Offline dadto2

• Trad Bowhunter
ACS or WIDOW????
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
I am gonna order a new bow and want some of your input.Its gonna be 58" 42@27 let me know some pros & cons
Thx ARV

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACS or WIDOW????
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Tough question...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
I think the resale on a new bow would go to the ACS...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Both are great bows-ACS is quieter-pros and cons will be subjective-ACS is a bit faster.
I have shot both a lot and own 3 ACS's and a 4th on order-so my input will be biased.
Spend some time with both-pretty easy decision.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
My $.02 worth, from personal experience--both are great, but in different ways.  Your best choice might depend on what you'll be doing the most--target or hunting.
Both bows are way up there in performance and quality.
Black Widow:  Tough as nails, heavy and stable, good performer, classic design, company has an excellent track record.
ACS-CX:  Fast, modern technology, lighter to carry, limbs are a bit "fragile", newer company with positive track record.
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
I just got an ACS and I think it's worth any penny.  I've got a PTF5 Widow coming - we'll see if it's as good as everyone says they are.  I have a feeling I won't be disappointed.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
As between those two, I would definitely choose the ACS. By way of comparison the BW is a one ton pickup and the ACS is a Porsche.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
I've had a bunch of Widows and currently shoot a PGA. I have an ACS on order.

Own both, then you don't have to worry about it!!

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
"the BW is a one ton pickup and the ACS is a Porsche".     give us a break already!!!  

both are GREAT bows but, something new always gets the attention "for a while". Widow's have been around for more than fifty years and everyone still compares everything else to a Widow. dosen't that along say something?? I have three Widows and would like an ACS CX someday but, I hardly think the 'turtle and the hare' compairison is accurate. shoot'em both and then you'll know which one 'YOU' like best.

isn't it great having choices??
    :thumbsup:

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
I sure like my A&H bows, several....  I've not shot a Widow longbow..

I'd like to add that the folks at A&H are top shelf in every way. I'm sure the Widow people are as well so my guess is you could take this out of the decision.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
I have owned 2 Black Widow longbows (PL) and a PSAV recurve.  Have owned 5 ACS CX's of varying weights and riser combinations.  If you are comparing a PL to a ACS, the ACS wins out for me.  Smoother, faster, defenitely quiter.  The big difference between the two would be the grip.  The same goes for the recurve, the main difference would be the grip.  Although I did find the PSA to be a very stable and accurate bow for me to shoot.  All this being said, I am currently shooting a 16" RC riser from A&H.  It is the best of both worlds for me, recurve grip with longbow limbs.  Both companies are tops when it comes to customer service.  Good luck in finding the one that fits you.

Cade
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Online happy1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
I have both and I like my 58" ACS CX the best.  The ACS has no hand shock, easy to tune, faster and very quite.  And I love the small grip on the ACS. And it is very accurate and forgiving to shoot.
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
That is a very tough question.  I own both and can honestly say that my ACS CX is the best bow that I have ever shot.  However most times lately, if I am heading to the stand, I grab my Widow.  If I were to buy a new one right now, it would be a new Widow PL.  
  The ACS is faster and the Widow does have a little more vibration at the shot, though both are very minimal with the ACS nearly nonexistent.  I do have more of a feeling of bomb-proofness, with the Widow.  Although the ACS is not delicate or nothing.  You just feel like you could throw the Widow off a high building and still pick it up and shoot it.  
  Customer service from both companies is excellent!  Grips are definately different and may be the deciding factor for you.  That two piece locket-socket is pretty awesome for the Widows.
  Both have great resale value and short wait times.  Good luck!

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
http://www.bowreports.com/longbows/bw-plx/plx.htm

BlackWidow PLX review with some specs

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Take this from a fella that has shot them all/ owned them all... I will say this, but others may disagree...

The ACS CX Longbow is without doubt the best shooting longbow made.. I had to get a low wrist grip on it & get the 16 riser to make it work, but once I got those two things, it is a great bow.

A Black Widow recurve is without equal in recurves..

If I was gonna shoot a recurve, BW would be it...  Since I have a thing for longbows... ACS is it...

I have two bows right now at my house.. Both are 52 lbs. @ 30 inches.

One is my ACS. the Other a Widown Recurve... The ACS is quiter/ and Faster/ even when shooting an arrow that weights 50 grs. more... With that being said, it is 66' long and the Widow is only 60'.... I'd rather have a 60 bow in a tree stand, but from a shooting standpoint / 3D / target/ stumping/ ground hunting, I like the longbow...

Hope that helps... Steve

Blessings,
Steve

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Forgot to add... Roger and the Gang at widow are great customer service people/

Dan/ John and teh Gang at ACS are equally as great!

Either way you go, you will have quality!

I'd advise this...

Longbow= ACS
Recurve= BW
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
I know there is no one anwser for every person to the ??? I am going to ask but here it is: Say you had a 58" ACS 14" riser longbow and a BW PSA 58" Recurve which do guys think would be more stable and easier to shoot to the average person? I know the ACS is going to be faster and quieter but I expect the PSA to be a bit more forgivening with the extra mass weight.

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Steel, I just got a 58" ACS and it's EASILY the most forgiving bow I've ever shot.  I was fouling up my release on purpose last night, shooting it at 20 yards - the arrow wouldn't be in the bullseye, but it would be pretty close.  Shooting normally, WOW - there ought to be a law.

I had a pleasant surprise new years eve, Dan from A&H called me just to check and see how I liked my new bow, if I was having any problems, etc - those kinds of little things are what's going to make me highly recommend A&H to anyone who asks about them.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Everybodys got their opinion, but my limited experience after shooting both says ACS !

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
You need to shoot them both, preferably more than just for one day.  No doubt, both are great bows, but one man's fortune is another man's folly.  Just because everyone else likes one, it doesn't mean you will.  Good luck.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©