3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skunked Roll Call...  (Read 1018 times)

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skunked Roll Call...
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 06:44:00 AM »
I had a very tough year myself. But 09 started out better already.

Offline Rufus 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
Our season closes 1 March... so just maybe I'll have some luck.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
This is my first year of trad hunting so can someone send me the recipe for tag soup ?  Should I use all four of my tags, or would that make it too hard to swallow?    :banghead:  

Honestly, I had a great time, saw a lot of deer, and now I'm hooked!

Offline osiristheclown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
Hunting regulations should allow unused tags to be used as food stamps after the season closes.

I can't remember exactly the recipe for tag soup, but I think that it called for lots of bullion cubes. Yep, pretty sure..........   :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
Yep,the boy and I bothed mmmmissed are only shots of the year 5min apart day before rifle season back in Nov.But we still had a great year and saw some things that most will never get to see.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
im workin on a five year drought myself
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Worst year ever for me.   :knothead:   The only thing I have going for me is January 1st Started Winter Bow. I can still hunt until the second week in February.   :archer:   I hope 2009 is a little luckier for me   :pray:   . .

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
Ours ended yesterday - Zip. I won't even allow myself to partake of good ol' tag soup this year - because it is my third skunk in a row, so I deserve nothing even that close to "good". This year I only saw one deer (during shooting hours) and it was too far off and going away. I only carried trad all year but it wouldn't have mattered if I'd had a bazooka! I'd have had to take out about 3 or 4 trees to get that one I saw - LOL.

I am soooooooooooo dejected, now that it's over - guess I'll have to go back to hunting pigs in SC (if I can hold up under it), if I want a chance at anything before next Sept.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Had a shot...   :)  
Hit a twig...  :(  

I did get a nice fat doe with my muzzleloader during rifle season tho so not a total "skunked" season for a change.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
Big Ol' Goose Egg for ME!!!!!   :bigsmyl:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
Like Jason, until I bag a turkey it is a bad season. There is something about them, don't know what it is, but they seem to be arrow proof.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Montyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
I got skunked on Turkey and whitetails this year.  Second year in a row for whitetails.  I just did not get any close enough for a good shot.  Well now I just need to wait for spring for turkey's again.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
Put a lot of time in with the longbow and never took a shot at a deer.  I reverted to my rifle to put some venison in the freezer but it felt more like harvesting than hunting and I don't think I'll ever do it again.  Other than that I think I'm gonna pay more heed to a wise quote I read the other day. "Never pass up an animal on the first day that you would be excited to take on the last day"

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
I'm on my 3rd year of skunkdom. These last 3 years I've been shooting only primitive equipment so I limit myself to what shots I would take.  I only saw one deer this year(opening weekend) but she knew something wasn't right. She never saw me or got spooked but just walked off with her ears cocked back. Also, this year my heart just wasn't into hunting.
   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
Yep, nothin......but in the long run the memories were worth it.  With all the tag soup floating around I think I am going to have to put mine on the BBQ or something don't want it to get boring.
Allan

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Skunked with the bow for the first time in 4 years.  Killed 2 with the shotgun though so I still get to eat something other than my tags  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Not sure about everyone else, but I just have not seen the numbers of deer I normally do. Some of the agricultural practices have changed on my hunting area. A lot of the areas that used to be grass were put into soybeans. Although this may have increased the amount and quality of food, after they were harvested it left a "desert" as far as cover was concerned.

Since our devestating ice storm last year it is nearly impossible to move around in the woods. Huge limbs and trunks down every few feet.

Most of the normally used trails went without traffic this year.

All of this and a lot of jacking around by fellow hunters during season didn't help either. The hunting was a little slow so the guys thought it might help to get out and "walk 'em up". I try to be polite and considerate, but it aggrivates me when I sit in a stand and watch other hunters walking around close enough to hear their conversations.

Oh well. I have the last 6 days of the season off. We will see how it goes.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
I still have until the 18th. I taken a few shots but no luck. Hunting whitetails has been the hardest thing for me. I see deer evertime im out but just can't seem to make it happen. Its been fun.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
I still got 8 days left but this year has been rough for me. I lost my Dad to cancer back in April and it's just not the same for me, really miss being in the woods with him. I lost some of my ambition when he left this world but I keep telling myself it'll get better with time and I'm sure it will. I did have a good shot at a fat doe standing broadside 12 yards from me, even had a small leaf right at her vitals to concentrate on, it was perfect and ya know what......I couldn't do it.....for whatever reason I let her go. It's been bitter-sweet for me...........IJ
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Haven't had a good shot opportunity in two years !! (never took a shot!!) Alot less deer and a hellava lot of pressure on all the neighbooring properties plus the tresspassing shotgunners shoot everything in sight. Usually take my one deer a year. (all I want to eat). Friends have also seen alot less deer in the areas they hunt. They got skunked too !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©