3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WARMEST winter hunting clothes?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline DelSnavely

• Trad Bowhunter
WARMEST winter hunting clothes?
« on: January 02, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
I live in NW ND and we regularly get - temps as a high in December and sometimes in late November. Most days with at least some wind, and many days with winds of 20-30mph or more. It get's rough out there...lol This was my first year that I really got a chance to bow hunt here since we moved back, and I need much better clothing. I wore 4 layers of clothing. One was insulated coveralls, and I wore two pairs of socks. None however were wool based.

I would like to know what your thoughts are on reasonably priced winter hunting clothes, from boots to hat. What works for you, or what would you buy?

Let's hear it.

Thanks!
Del S.
I don't know how WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with "sticks and stones"...Albert Einstein

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: WARMEST winter hunting clothes?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Del,
Better get you some good wool baselayers right away. I know they are costly, but Ullfrotte' Smartwool seems to be the best out there. King of the Mountain sells it on their site. If you are going to stay warm in ND you gotta build your system from the inside out. If not, you will not be able to evaporate properly and once you get wet underneath all those layers you are done !

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
None however were wool based.

There's your answer.  I was in the same boat this year.  I have been spending a lot of time at goodwill and other consignment stores scanning for cheap wool clothes.  I got lucky this summer and picked up a scentlok top and bottom for $25 at a garage sale.  I use that as an outer layer and I wear poly pro long underwear with various cheap wool clothing layers over the top.  without the camo over the top I tend to look like a demented Mr. Rogers but those old sweaters I have been picking up for 5.00 or less are certainly keeping me warm enough.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
merino wool thermals, merino wool socks. work up the layers as mentioned above. a good hat is a must keep your head ward will help keep your body warm.
i recently got a Filson mackinaw cruiser jacket it is buy far the best jacket iv ever worn for cold weather.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Bill Bouman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
Go to Sportsman's Guide they have some wool hunting clothing on sale right know at a good price.

Offline seanc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 04:49:00 PM »
Bill beat me to the Guide.  Make sure you check out their mil-surp.  My E. German pants and Brit sweater from last year kept me plenty warm with my new Polish baclava.  I also have this'n that from Goodwill.

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by NoCams:
Del,
Better get you some good wool baselayers right away. I know they are costly, but Ullfrotte' Smartwool seems to be the best out there. King of the Mountain sells it on their site. If you are going to stay warm in ND you gotta build your system from the inside out. If not, you will not be able to evaporate properly and once you get wet underneath all those layers you are done !

nocams
ulfrottee stuff is very very nice.its not cheap but its very warm.send for the catalog or brochure book and read about the wools many different kinds.but this is the foundation i would recommend anybody to build off of its just not cheap

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
Del,
I have lived in MN and hunted MN and WI for the past 40 years. It is almost always in single digits or below 0 in December so I have purchased multiple pieces of King of the Mountain, Sleeping Indian and Filson. I still froze. What I do like is a heavy sweater with windstop under my KOM jacket, wool bibs/pants and the best underwear money can buy. I also wear a rabbit bomber cap and -100 Sorrels.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
one nice thing about the ulfrotte wool is it is so soft u can wear it next to the skin and they recommend that you do,plus you can wash in hot water and put in dryer or hang dry and no shrinkage.

i own a couple 200 gram sets 400 sets,acouple 600 pieces too along w/ a bunch of socks.

it has a terry cloth knit to it

i wasted alot of money till i found this stuff that works

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
I lived out thier and i have a secret.Wear rain gear under your coat and pants.wind cant get through.And KOM WOOL.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
The Browning Hydro Fleece is awsome stuff.

Windproof, waterproof, and warm. It also has the sent sorb stuff inside.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Its -6 and -22 wind chill in grand forks right know. Regular hunting gear dosent work in those condtions.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Its been like this here lately...

Anyway, when its really cold and I'm sitting: liner socks, wool socks, and bunny boots on my feet.  Long undies of some sort top & bottom, warm fleece or wool pants and coat.  And over all that a pair of Wall's BlizzardPruf coveralls; mine are dark blue.  A large pullover over the coveralls of a quiet material eliminates the sound of nylon on nylon.  Good luck finding a piece of clothing that does all that, without paying a lot.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline DelSnavely

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks a lot guys. I know now that it's going to take wool and some sort of fleece to do the job. You can bet I won't freeze my butt of again next year.

Thanks again!

Del S.
I don't know how WWIII will be fought, but WWIV will be fought with "sticks and stones"...Albert Einstein

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
Guys, What type of liner socks are you using?  I have very cold feet and some merino wool socks that help, but use cotton tube socks as liners.  What's best?  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline DelSnavely

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
I hear ya flatlander, and what kind of boots? I need new boots too.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
Get an outer layer of windbloc material.  It can be thin.  Doesn't provide the best in warmth, but since it truly kills the wind it helps a lot in your efforts to keep warm.  Its also quiet which can't be said for cotton, nylon, etc.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
Can't say what socks are best but I can pretty much guarantee that cotton is the worst!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 01:55:00 AM »
I use capilene or polypro liner socks, its another layer and staves off blisters.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline sharps4590

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
what chinook said.  When we lived in NW Wyoming a friend of mine often said "cotton kills" in the winter.  I'd have to agree with him.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©