3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ups sux w/pics  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ups sux w/pics
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
I once shipped an osage orange stave, 2 1/4" by 1 1/2" by 74" long to a friend here in the the midwest using, you guessed it, UPS.

The stave was inside a schedule 40 PVC tube with end caps.  Couple weeks later my buddy sends me pictures of the tube with one end cap busted through and a 61" long stave with one jagged end inside.  

Folks, osage is tough stuff.  I would wager I could have levered most of UPS's delivery trucks out of a mudhole with an osage stave of those dimensions.  I can't imagine how they did what they did to a cured piece of bodark.

Six years and I haven't shiiped anything with them since.  USPS gets all my buisness now and does a fine job.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Doesn't matter how well that bow was packaged (or the stave for that matter)--the force it took to break it would have broken any packaging, short of a steel vault.

I use USPS, and so far so good.

Chad

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Several of y'all have said repeatedly to "file a claim", etc..  I don't mean to be blunt, but "It ain't gonna do any good!"  Been there, done that...pictures, statement from the driver, TV news crew...It's a waste of your time..spend the time making another bow and you'll be way ahead.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Ya know what, contact your states attorney general and than contact your attorney. I have heard what the others are saying, but I had to file a claim with them concerning a broken bow and another about merchandise stolen off of my porch. I got re-imbursed, both packages were insured though. I had to do what I stated above and my attorney wrote them a nice letter and they paid. It cost me $35 to my attorney. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2007, 03:24:00 AM »
The only time I'll even consider using UPS, is if the item I'm buying is valued LESS THAN $20.00 CDN.  Though their "tracking" is easier, there's NO way I'll ever consentually use them again.

(And don't get me started on their horrendous cross-border brokerage fees - a.k.a. "border piracy"!)
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
Florida used to have a "Consumer action reporter" on the local news channel. They loved stories like that, and usually got a lot of results. You might go that route, if your TV channels have anything like that available.
Big companies hate bad publicity.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline jmack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
I just came upon this post, and remembered an episode from a few years back.... I had a friend whose father was the district/regional/state whatever supervisor of the UPS distribution center in Kansas. I went there with my good friend one day to get something from his pa, and got a small tour of the place while I was there. You wouldn't believe the kind of soccer and baseball games go on inside that place with the packages as the balls. I've never used UPS after seeing this, and strongly suggest that no one else use them either.
"Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."--Galations 6:9

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
I've had quite a bit of experience with my small businesses both shipping and receiving with all the carriers. About 10 years ago I had a custom bike shop and received orders daily via UPS, most came through ok. The local drivers were great. But about the time of the big strike it seems there service went away and their attitude with it.

I have shipped hunreds of items USPS Prioriy Mail over the last couple of years and their record is perfect and the price resonable.

If you are shipping to another country USPS Global Priority Mail is an excellent service and reasonable and arrives in about a week.

Jeff, I can't imagine how they could break an osage stave like that accidently. The force required to break it would have to tremendous.

I've heard that small claims court rules in favor of the customer and not UPS most of the time.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
UPS seems to be loosing popularity about as fast as Walmart. I'd be happy to see them both go away.

I had friends in college who worked as holiday help at UPS. They told the same stories about "package soccer" and warned to never ship UPS.

Dont even get me started on my own experiences.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Why do think there Trucks are "BROWN"
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline jean marc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2007, 04:48:00 AM »
Personally I never had somes problems with Us postal and Ups from Usa Towards France  only with the French post office towards the foreign country !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©