3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching  (Read 274 times)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching
« on: January 02, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
I have been reading all the info I can find on fletching for arrows. I can't find the info on someone who was shooting 2 fletched arrows and another who was shooting 3 inch feathers.  My 5 inch fletching I am suspecting is hitting the shelf before the arrow leaves the string and would like to try smaller fletching. Where can a person find 3 inch feather fletching?  How does 2 fletched arrows work? Thanks
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
I've never tried that but I have had success with 4" straight offset fletched shields shooting Bear Razorheads years ago.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Greg:
If your fletching is hitting the shelf, you have a spine problem and smaller fletching will just magnify the problem, yes you will get some feather wear with a finely tuned arrow but you shouldn't notice it visually. An yes two fletch does work I know two people here in Hamilton that use them.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
The fletching on the arrow is only 1/4 inch or so from the shelf when placed on the string and not pulled back. The Shrew is braced at 7.5 inches. But with the forward handle design there is only about 6 inches from the string to the shelf. With 5 inch feathers and fletched 3/4" from the end, the fletching is very close to the shelf before the arrow leaves the string. This is why I thought smaller fletching would help

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Historically the Hidatsa used a two feather twisted fletch.  I could not find any original photos, but I made some for a friend and they performed well at shorter distances.  The feathers were long and tall.

My best luck with a short feather, both length and height has been with a four fletch.  I especially like the 105-75 angle better than the 4x90

Spine may be an issue, but the Shrew looks like it has as much or more shelf clearance than most bows.

I think you could get the same stabilizing surface with 4 x 3" feathers as you would with 3 x 5"
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
That's what I was thinking but where can I get 3" feathers? Forgive me if this is a stupid question. Can I just cut down 5 inch feathers?

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
Had same problem with wear on shelf I went to left wing solved my problem . If you have a chopper its very easy to cut down feathers to what you want .
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
I was just reading a site that mentioned using 2 feathers and 2 vanes. The feathers were for the shelf contact and the vanes were for rain/snow performance. Any one here tried this?

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Greg Owen:
That's what I was thinking but where can I get 3" feathers? Forgive me if this is a stupid question. Can I just cut down 5 inch feathers?
Sent you a PM about 3" feathers.I'm not sure if I can post a non sponsor link here.

You can't cut down 5".Well,I guess you could but is it really worth your time?
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 06:14:00 AM »
Kingwouldbe uses the 2 fletch arrangement (to good effect by all accounts) I use 3" parabolics myself. I fletch in a 4-fletch, 90* arrangement. I must admit that getting my bareshafting right was a lot more critical, but the advantages I've found far outweigh the extra work involved (You only need to bareshaft once. When it's right, just note down your weights/measurements for next time.
I've found that the small fletches fly faster, flatter, quieter & don't flatten down so badly in the wet. I shoot the big Magnus 1 two-bladers, 99% of the time & have zero trouble wih stability.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 06:51:00 AM »
Have you tried cock feather in, instead of facing out. Since I did that I don't even notice feather wear. I believe Eichler shoots his arrows this way.
Duane
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
I had that problem and tried shooting cock-feather in:  problem solved!

ben
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©