3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why archery is better than golf.  (Read 1013 times)

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why archery is better than golf.
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 03:34:00 AM »
I'd like to build a golf course, instead of fairway bunkers I'd have fairway food plots, instead of sand traps food plot traps. Now as a member of my golf club you can take your bow while golfing. The course marshals will be instructed to keep play and hunting moving along. Anyone taking excessive time stalking a deer would be ask to pick up his hunting gear and resume his golfing. When any deer is shot all play will be suspended until the deer is recovered, all members will encouraged to assist in tracking. Anyone taking unethical shot will be penalized, maybe I'll hire me some of those Ole boys like on Deliverance, that should insure broadside shot only. I bet you some of those deep pocket guys would pay a 1000$ a round, heck if I fence it in and put some exotics I could 3000$.

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
I really dont understand the whole golf thing...a waste of hunting land...I honestly think alot of these people have never tried 3d archery...I mean think about it...would you rather be a golfer or an Archer?...Archer sounds so much cooler...Archery is still the sport of kings...literally

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bear Heart:
I don't play golf but believe it is the closest sport to archery.
I'm an avid acrher. My father's an avid golfer. Every time he and I golf together I'm reminded how much alike the two sports rally are.

A local lady who's a former multi-time NAA champion once told me that anyone can nock an arrow, pull a string and make an arrow fly. But the real challenge, the difficulty, is being able to put it where you want every time. In that regard, anyone can swing a golf club and hit a ball. But hitting where I want? I could spend a lifetime and never figure that out.   ;)

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Because golf is just an over sized version of a yard game that allows those who have no athletic ability whatsoever or who have lost their competitive desire to pretend.  Golf has no meaning at all.  

There is no end as there is in the success or failure of a hunt.  In fact, it is so silly that if you do not like your score you just buy the latest equipment to improve and pretend that it was you! (And we aren't talking compounds here.)

Plus, there has never been a greater waste of natural spaces then the "pretty" - artificial looking and chemically loaded land that is a golf course.

Send golf back to overcrowded Europe where it belongs!

Offline Downwind Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
Wow Mr. Witherstick, I respectfully don't believe I could disagree more with your post.

I'm way more competitive golfing than I am shooting my bow and hunting. Both require similar athletic ability - concentration for hours, ability to walk for hours, you must use your repetitive muscles exactly the same over and over, it's necessary to adjust and improvise as necessary based on the situation.

Buying the latest driver is no different than buying a new bow or trying a different arrow - it doesn't help a lick unless you practice. You only get out of it what you put into it.

I love the beauty of watching the sun rise over the ridgeline or over a well maintained course. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

That said - I always park my clubs with the onset of the fall weather.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
Downwind Lefty,
Suffice it say there are those that don't get it and never will get it.  That's fine.

I appreciate golf as much as archery, fishing, shooting rifles and shotguns or any other sport that takes more than a rudimentary amount of skill.

You do too.  And those people who don't will never have the satisfaction of making a truly great golf shot or playing a great round with a good friend.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Mark Twain said it best "golf is a good walk spoiled"

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Thought I'd share some pics of a charity archery/golf shoot held on an 18 hole golf course south of Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
All traditional gear, long arrows w/blunts for the fairway shots & flu-flu's w/blunts for the "putts".
We play with regular golf scorecards. The "Putt" is a short shot at a small whiffle ball on a PVC pipe.
It's a blast!

Photos taken by Mike Teifer.
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Online Witherstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
Downwind Lefty and reddogge,

While we will have to agree to disagree on this one, I did try golf for a couple of years with some friends.  I broke hundred the first time out and never shot worse than a 96.  My second summer while on a par 3 course I scored a whole in one.

Still, the notion that I had to follow this prescribed course as dictated by the hand of man left me with little satisfaction.  No, I suppose that I will never get it when it comes to golf.  Honestly, I hope that I never do.  

But, what a boring place it would be if we all agreed on everything!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Toxo

Only in the south could you have an archery golf setup with sponsors on the tees.

Very cool!!!!
Otto

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Otto, Yep, this has become a big annual event for a very worthy cause.  

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Otto,
Sorry if I sorta "hijacked" your topic to post the info about archery golf.
As a former golf addict and current archery addict, I would comment that archery is similar to but better than golf in many ways.
Even though I loved the game, I could never get over the feeling I was wasting a lot of my time when I played golf. It's not that way for me with archery. Golf courses are beautiful places but are somewhat artifical.  Being in the woods with 3D or hunting is closer to heaven.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
One thing Golf and Archery have in common is that you have to be able to judge yardage....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
The people!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
One of our local golf courses opend a deer saeson on the course this year due to too many whitetails. There were over 30 deer taken in 2 days of hunting... Not for me but the others took advantage. One succesful hunter told me he set his DB blind up close to the 18th hole.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Golf, maybe when I get old and can't shoot or hunt. But for now its not for me. I know to many people who used to hunt and now golf.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Montyc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
I do both.  To me they are similar in a lot of ways.  The concentration it takes to make good shot in golf and in archery are very similar.  When I am playing really good golf, and when I am shooting really good with the bow it is the same.  I'm in a zone where nothing else bothers me, and it becomes very easy.  In golf terms your in the field.  I know this sounds way out there, but I actually think I see the earths energy waves on the course, and when I am shooting my bow.  You can actually manipulate them to help your shot.  Ok enough of my rambling.  I'm addicted to both, and both feed my soul.  With that said if I had to give one up it would be golf.

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Archery is as much or more fun than golf and it's a lot more family oriented, too.
That said, I sure wish I could learn how to "fade" or "draw" an arrow around an obstacle!

:archer:

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
Nice shooting, but honestly Tiger could probably make that put in his sleep haha
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Nate1990

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
i have to agree with a few others, golf courses just look fake. Maybe its just the courses i have been to. I was a lifeguard for a summer at one and i had the best view of the whole thing...i couldn't stand it. If only they would let the grass grow into a meadow!

but i do think archery is similar to golf. At lest the comradery of a 3d or target shoot.
I. Love. Arrows.

"i just HAD to do it the hard way..."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©