3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Bear in Minnesota  (Read 227 times)

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Bear in Minnesota
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Does anyone know a good bear outfit that has some knowledge of traditional equipment.  I should draw this year, for black bear here in Minnesota and need to make a few contacts early.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks Much
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Bear in Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
PM sent.  i guide stickbow only on 2000 acres 25 mi north of duluth.

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Most of the guides that I know have there stand's with In 15 yards of the baits. I don't use a guide but I know a good amount of them In the area that I hunt In. I think you'll be alright pretty much anywhere you go as long as you talk with the guide first and tell him/her that your an up and close hunter.

Offline nockinaround

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Frank House from Ray Mn has a baiting operation. I think he still has a resort on Kabetogama. He baits around the ash river and rat root river.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
All I can say is do your homework......and wish you the best of luck.
Since you're in the state, I wouldn't rely on published and internet info and such. Go take a look for yourself. Anyone in the state can become a bear "guide" so tread carefully.

Last time I steered a trad party to an area "guide", it didn't turn out so good.  I've always done it myself on private land and used to be 50% (hoping to draw next year   :D  )

Pick your area and talk to the locals. Find out who can help and who is the real deal....and 20....30? .....( a hundred I once read) bait sites they start off with. I always wondered what that meant about how much homework they do before the season....if any. But it doesn't matter.....ANYONE can buy a guide license...even yourself or anyone who has never prepped a bear site in their life.

Hate to be the bearer of truth here, but some of the bear hunting rules here in MN simply stink and I hate to see people get screwed.

On a positive note, there are some really nice areas and bears to harvest in MN and bear hunting is a heck of a lot of fun ! From McGregor, up northwest to Northome....and all across to the north shore is great habitat.

Here's the last one I teamed up on for my buddy Ken. His first bear... not a bruiser by any means but the pay-off of a lot of sweat equity and he couldn't have been happier.  We had an absolute blast that season !
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline oneeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Take Gordy's advice - be carefull with the outfitters.  If it is at all possible for you to do the baiting yourself I highly recommend it. To me, it is as much or more fun then the actual killing of the bear.  I ended the '08 season for the second year in a row with an empty tag.

The number of hunters in my area (51) was way down last year.  But, it was also a tough year for baiting due to the amount of natural foods in the woods.  Late season was productive for many people after the food sources dried up.

Online Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I do not have a phone number but Chris Ford out of Williams Mn. He is a big time bow hunter himself. He like getting close. He sets all his baits for bowhunters. The gun guys only need a shotgun and slugs.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©