3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas City Area Trad Hunt II. Adventure continues  (Read 4490 times)

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
Kansas City Area Trad Hunt II. Adventure continues
« on: January 03, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
What's going on fellas? I thought I'd start a new thread for the new hunt. We need to start throwing dates and location around. If you all want to go on the Kansas Side, Valley falls, I think would be a great place. Also, if everyone wanted to go back to Platte Falls, that would be great too. How about the 32nd of January, or first Saturday of February? What do you guys think? Tripper
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas City Area Trad Hunt II. Adventure continues
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
January 32nd  :saywhat:    :D  

Lots of public land around Valley Falls, I used to hunt up there alot in the 80's. Good wabbit country for sure.

I have two more surgery's this month and the bad one is the 29th so I'm out  :(  But if I can help I would be glad to.

Dang it man   :knothead:    :banghead:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Tracy, Shoot a date out there when you will be able to attend. Tripper

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
I'm in this time for sure.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Reporting for duty! I’ll help any way that I can.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
ttt

Offline kskickapoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
I'm in again with one exception...will be in Branson with my boys for our annual trout fishing trip from the 16th thru the 19th.  I'll check with Mike (the beagle man) and see what his schedule looks like.  Said he had a great time and would do it again...We went out on NY day and Hunter got his first small game kill..twenty yard shot with his youth 20 on a rabbit.  He was stoked!

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Ok, so I just looked at a calendar and noticed that there is not, nor has there ever been 32 days in January. You guys are forgetting that I was raised in Oklahoma and my favorite color is clear. Ok, so I guess that the 32nd of January would theoretically be the 1st of February. How does that day sound to everyone? Excuse me while I go take my med's. LOL! Tripper

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
That's a Sunday and would probably work ok for me but maybe Saturday the 31st might work better for some.

Also, can you find out about non resident licenses?  Do you have the one day permits like here?

We gonna do the breakfast again?

Have disc, will travel.....   :campfire:    :coffee:
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Dave, the best I could find on the website is that all hunting requires a  hunting liscense, which for a non-resident is $72.50. Kind of steep. I will try to call them on Monday and find out all the details and what it takes to hunt in Kansas as a non-resident. I think breakfast will be a great idea. Tripper

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
Depending on work and or family stuff I might could make it. Tracey is right, there is a lot of public land up by Valley Falls and Lake Perry. The bad part is that Kansas can be down right greedy when it comes to out of state hunters and licenses...  :mad:  

(I'm not from Kansas I just live here...  :p  )

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
Tripper, I looked also and don't see a one day or five day type of license like they do for fishing.

They change the regs every year anyway it's worth looking into.

I'm the weakest link here as far as planning anything, Exspecialy January so I will just plan on seeing everyone if it works out. Crutches don't work to good for bunny hunting  ;)  

Tracy  :archer:
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
Tracey,
We'll just park ya in a comfy chair with a warm blanket and close to the buffet table...  :D

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Lucky me... I bought a lifetime Kansas Hunting license years ago (grew up on the Kansas side) Now all I gotta do is find it.

Guess I'm in for Ks or Mo.

WoodsyDave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Boy, that is kinda pricey!!!

Hate to say it but it might make the difference this time of year between going and not going.  We'll have to wait and see.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Sounds good Paul sure would like to see everybody again.  :goldtooth:  

Hang in there Dave, Lets see what Tripper finds out over the phone.

Tracy

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
Went to the website and it appears there is no way around the fee unless you are under 16 (Discounted fee) or dissabled (free).

No mention of ANY type of short term or day pemit.

Did find an excerpt from the site about the rabbit hunting.  They make it sound pretty good.

Here it is:

Quote "Although found statewide, cottontail concentrations are greater in the central and eastern portions of Kansas. Kansans don't hunt them heavily, so populations can be very good -- so good, in fact, that nonresidents travel hundreds of miles to Kansas from states where rabbit hunting is a tradition.

Grassy and brushy habitats are rabbit factories, and many cottontails are taken incidentally while hunting upland birds or other game. Ideal cottontail sites include shelterbelts, thickets, and woodlots, especially when located close to crop fields. Abandoned farmsteads with heavy weed growth, dilapidated buildings, and even old farm machinery can be cottontail hideouts.

Due to their natural camouflage and preference for thick cover, cottontails are often hunted with beagles, which move the rabbits in a slow circle through cover, and finally back in front of stationed hunters. "Rabbit roulette" might be an apt name for this technique. However, beagles are not necessary, and "spot and stalk" rabbit hunting can be excellent when snow is on the ground and rabbits can be easily seen.

Excellent hunting opportunities can be found on wooded public hunting areas and Walk-In Hunting Access land. Permission to hunt on private land may be easy to obtain due to lack of competition from other hunters.

Rabbit hunting is one of the best ways to introduce youngsters to Kansas hunting. Most hunters use a .22 caliber rifle although small gauge shotguns are used, as well. Healthy rabbit populations, coupled with liberal hunting seasons and bag limits, make rabbit hunting in the Sunflower state a fine option for small game hunters.

Rabbit season is open year round. The daily bag limit is 10, and the possession limit is 30. Kansas hunters 16 through 64 years old must have a valid Kansas hunting license, unless exempt by law. All nonresidents must have a Kansas hunting license unless hunting on their own land." Unquote
Dave

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
The only short term lic. is for waterfowl.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
I'd be in for Mo.  I can't do the Non-res. for Kansas.

If we couldn't do the federal ground again, I say we go up to Elam Bend.  WoodsyDave and I were there on new years eve to pull stands, and there were rabbit skins in the parking lot.  So there must be some good rabbit hunting up there.

Or, Tom and Chris K. went to Bilby Ranch up by Maryville and said there were a butt-load of bunnies up there.  Its a good drive, but we could car pool etc.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
Maybe the Missouri side would be a better choice for everyone since it is a lot friendlier to small game hunters from out of state...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©