3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Bucks, Best Books?  (Read 303 times)

Offline Monte

• Trad Bowhunter
Big Bucks, Best Books?
« on: January 03, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
I am looking for some really good books on bowhunting those wise older and bigger bucks.  I have both of Roger Rothaar's books.  Can you recommend any others from authors who have been successful in pursuing the big whitetails. Thanks

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Bucks, Best Books?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
"Come November" by Gene Wensel. Just alot of common sense from years of experience.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Anything by the Wensels is great, as are both of Rogers books. I also like the book that Don Higgins wrote.  It's a great book for those who hunt small woodlots surrounded by open fields such as I normally hunt. I have heard the one by Bobby Worthington is also very good but have not read it yet.  Also Wary Buck, (Bryce Lambly) wrote a very good book called "My Neck of the Woods".  It is not all about whitetails, but the majority is, and Bryce has been knocking down big whitetails for awhile now.

I just about have "Come November" memorized!

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
The above mentioned books are top notch and great reading. If your state is a heavily hunted state like mine here in Michigan then check out John Eberhardts books and DVD 's, they are great!  :thumbsup:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
mapping trophy bucks by brad herndon is pretty decent too.i have the worthington,higgins and eberhart stuff,and the book i mentioned.

depends on where you hunt but there really is no secrets,lots of scouting, playing the wind correctly and putting as much time in the field as possible.and the BIGGEST ONE[hunt where big bucks live]  

most books give you the general knowledge but its up to us to apply the principles correctly

hope you find the interesting reading your looking for

Offline pacopperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
this site alone if read thoroughly has i bet almost everything those books do somewhere on here.

there is a lot of good stuff on the bowhunter interview section on this forum too.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Wensel's & Eberhardt's for me.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
I heard Mike Mitten almost has his book completed.  Knowing Mike, and judging from some of his pictures, I think it might be a good one also.   I know I'm getting a copy when it comes out.

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
I haven't read the others out there, but Eberhardt's books are great.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
Hunting Marsh Bucks by Blood Brothers outdoors is a unique look at hunting big pressured/public land deer.  I'll be trying some of their tactics this coming year.  One of the common factors I seem to find universal in successful big buck hunters is scouting after the season(January-April) and scouting a lot.   Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
Hey Kevin, I did not know Mike was writting a book.  For sure that will be a "must have" for me also.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
2 thumbs up for Bryce's book " My Neck of the Woods"
DonD

Offline Monte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I look forward to more reading, and definitely more scouting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©