3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: black widow with bow bolt ?? (update)  (Read 587 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
black widow with bow bolt ?? (update)
« on: January 04, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
i was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to have bw install a bow bolt on a bow. i like the psa takedown, but i think a pa wit a bolt would be sweet! just curious..
   :help:  
jamie
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: black widow with bow bolt ?? (update)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
I don't know if they will do it but if you find out please let me know.  I had thought of that right after they started producing the PA.  It would be my ultimate Widow... in grey please!
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
i might call them today to find out. nobody wants to touch this one at all... come on widow shooters, im sure dan and myself are not the first person to think of this!!

jamie
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
I would call widow. Just my .02
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
I think it would be a great idea to get them to add it as a Custom Option.
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
well, i just got off the phone with bw. i was told that it is "out of the queston"!!  :mad:  
so apparently they want nothing to do with it!!
i am curious as to why. i would have asked him, but he seemed offended that i would even ask such a question!!
oh well..... there goes that..  "[dntthnk]"
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Seemed like a good idea to me, too.

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I thought the same thing myself about 4 years ago when I first developed the Bow Bolt and I sent them a letter with all the information and offered to give them one to try.  Never heard a word back form them.

But can you really blame them?  They have a system that works well for their bows.  Why change something that is working for them.  

Beyond that reasoning, I would be interested in knowing why it is "Out of the Question" and why they would be offended when an existing customer of their's asked the question.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
yeah i thought it was a little odd  craig. after all, if the customer wants it, give it to him.
i have yet to her one bad thing about the bolt, and combined with aguably "the best bow" how could that be a bad thing???

it would be cool if sombody put one in their bow by themself. i would be just too scared to ruin the bow!!
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
:banghead:      :banghead:      :banghead:   I don't WANT their current takedown system.

It may be that the fellow finds it offensive to convert a bow specifically designed to be a one piece when they offer a similar takedown in the PSA series.  

Of course WE know what we want and although I do love the PSA this would (theoretically) be the better bow option for me.  Too bad they won't consider it.  

I think their current takedown system it ugly.  Sorry.  I like the "hidden" bow-bolt.  I wonder if they would even consider using their current two piece takedown system or if they are just opposed to a takedown PA altogether.  Perhaps there is a question of structural integrity (sounds sills to say).  I don't think that any reason is enough to take offense at the question.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
i agree 100% danny! the psa bows are nice, but i dont like seeing allen screws. the bow bolt would be awesome.
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
You need to understand that Widow does everything now on CNC machinery To do one bow for you would require a new program, plus testing as I'm sure their insurance would not cover any devation in construction that has not tested and found safe.
Its kind of like asking Ford to put a Jag engine in their F150 Pickup and then I supose you want a full guarentee also!!
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
As a machinist I can tell you it probably has more to do with value earned for risk taken. Why should they take on the risk of working on your bow and maybe ruining it for a small amount of profit when compared to building bows from scratch. If you don't like the outcome, they have to stand behind what they do. The risk is to high for the profit earned. There are better things to work on from a business sense than to add bow bolts to peoples bows. That is why you find very few people willing to take this task on. You have to take on a lot of risk for a small amount of profit. It doesn't make good sense from a business model. Black Widow can keep busy and turn better profit without risking the outcome of a lost bow that you would demand they replace if it didn't come out right. I don't blame them for staying away.
  By the way, you didn't say what you would be willing to pay to have this option added to your bow. It is a $200 option on most bows when it is being put in right from the start. What do you think might be a reasonable price for someone to take on the risk of ruining your bow?
  Also, you will find that most bowyers are now using phenolic, micarta or stronger materials in their handles that they plan to use the bow bolt system on. This can't be accomplished on an already manufactured handle. The last time I talked about ordering a bow bolt with a well known bowyer, he would only add the bow bolt if the handle material was micarta. He had to much trouble with bow handles that weren't specifically strengthened for adding this option. Just some food for thought. jwingman

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
i appreciate you responce james. here is the deal, i didnt want them to put a bolt in my bow. in fact i dont even own a widow.   :rolleyes:    (yet) i was just wondering if it was an opptoin on NEW bows. and  if anyone has ever done it before..
i was told by vernon, at BW that its "out of the question". that is on new or used..   :saywhat:    

i just think its odd is all. i would bet if i called up, say horne, or zona, or striker bows and asked for a specific t/d model they would oblidege. i could be wrong though, it has happend a time or two!   :banghead:  

jamie
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Scooter Trash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
I don't think they are opposed to a takedown PA.  
  It's called the PSA.

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Hey Jamie, I'm sure they have a good reason's for not wanting to use the bolt system. They do offer two take down systems currently that are pretty much boom proof, six different bow models, eight different limb lengths, and almost any kind of wood that you can dream up. And they do all of this with only 9-1/2 employees.  

These guys are top notch in everything they do. That is what sets them apart from the pack. They have always gone on and above for me and every one else I have ever talked to.  

It's nice to know I can call them and someone will be there to answer the phone. And they have been there for me the last eighteen years that I have been buying bows from them.

Give me a shout if you want any info I might be able to help with. I have been to their shop so I can tell you first hand what it's like there. Glen

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
I talked to them about a two piece recurve
(SA Style) several years ago, ken told me just not no but he77 no!

I wanted it for back packing, I hate having to deal with allen bolts wrenches and BS

Prime example I shot a MT goat was going to take my BW down for the pack out and lost the allen wrench---ended up tying the bow to my pack cross wise, because I needed both hands free to get out.

I now have a Big River Recurve that is two piece and is my #1 back pack bow!  thanks Black widow
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
dont get me wrong, i am not intending oon "bashing" BW. but i just thought they would be a little more open to other forms of take downs. i will still buy a bw someday regardless..
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
I have installes a couple doz. bow bolts in bows for my customer.  Have had no trouble at all.  Just a little more time and expense.  But I build my bows 1 at a time and I am my only employee.  I agree with jwingman that the cnc operation would pretty much nix that bolt idea.  I suppose I put a bold in about every 50 or 60 bows.  Don't think Widow would find that kind of assembly line breakup profitable at all.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not sayin Widow is not a custom type bow, and a really good one but they do have a production system that I would think could not be varied to much, imho
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Allen bolts wrenches, I hate them too; this is the reason I use the beautyful antler knobs that are very pratical and enhanche the look of your bow.If you don't want affort the price you can use thumb limb bolts. That easy
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©