3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2008 Kansas success thread......with pics.  (Read 817 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2008 Kansas success thread......with pics.
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Dang nice deer!! Congrats!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the story and the pics!

I always like to hear of other's success with trad gear.  Especially when they are from "home".

Offline digicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  I was really happy for my father-in-law.  He took up bowhunting a little later in life (funny...about the time I married his daughter....I'm a bad influence) but hunts as hard as anybody I know at any age.  I began seriously hunting traditionally about 5 years ago and Andy started about 3 years ago.  

It is like starting all over again.  We kind of had each other to 3D shoot with, hunt together and learn from.

As for the deer, they were very nice.  But Hey, it's all about where you hunt and how much time you have to dedicate.  If you spend enough time in the areas, that we hunt you will get an "opportunity" to shoot a good deer, maybe only 1, maybe if your lucky 3 or 4 in a season.  I wish I could claim some great skill but that would be a lie, and any real whitetail hunter knows thats the truth.

One of the first things I look at on harvest threads is where the animal was taken.  There are some guys on here that take some animals in very populated, public ground settings....those are real accomplishments, ones to be commended regardless of animal size.  I have hunted elk many times on public land in Colorado....I know what it's like.

Thanks again,
Mike

Offline Langhorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Would like to say thanks to ya'll for posting.  I feel your pain when it comes to posting, however, I just plain enjoy getting to see other hunters "fruit of the field".  I finally posted my pics and came to realize that it wasn't that hard to do.  A huge congrats to the both of you!
Hunting the World....Southern Style! 2010 IBO HHW World Champion

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Congrats. very,very nice!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Congrats to you both...makes us Michigan boys envious!
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
that is a great story and a great buck! congrats
Bet your glad you went out!!!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
I knew this would be impressive coming from Kansas.  You boys are really letting them grow big.  Great job and congrats

Offline digicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Mo huntin.....good point.  One thing all "trophy" deer states have in common is, they do not rifle-hunt the rut.  If your state of Missouri would do the same you guys would see drastic inprovments.

Mike

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Wow, that is one crazy big buck! Both are nice. Congrats.    :clapper:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »

Well here is my Kansas buck that I got with an outfitter. He is an old fighter but I thrilled I got him. A friend and I flew to wichita and then a two hour drive put us at the outfitters place.

The next day I was hunting a strip of cedars between two fields. At first light some does wandered through and i was amazed that they didn't look up once. Being from Long iland NY the deer walk through the woods checking out the trees. Around 10:30 when i was going to meet from friend to drive back to the house we were staying at along comes a 130 class 10 pointer down a trail that wound through the cedars. The only shot i had was a quartering to shot since he followed a doe before he could give me a broadside shot. He was beautiful and really had me excited. Once again he never looked up once. The next few days all i saw was bucks smaller than the 130 class minimum we were allowed to shoot.

The outfitter decided to move me to a place that was what I only dreamed of before. There was a 100 yard strip of woods with a stream through it and fields on one side a plum thickets and prairie on the other. There was rubs and scrapes all over the place, same as my first spot. But this spot was what I always dreamed what great whitetail habitat would look like. Sure enough I spotted a monster chasing a doe the first morning but I couldn't rattle him in. I did rattle in 3 120 to 125 class bucks that day and saw all kinds of deer that day. I was thrilled to say the least.

The next morning it was 18 degrees and knew it would be a great day. The guide had told me there were two big six pointers that were mature and wouldn't score higher so i could take either one if I wanted along with any other deer scoring better than 130 or 4 1/2 years old. Come first light a 125 class buck comes cruising through with frost on his back. It was great. Then a 1/2 hour later I heard bucks fighting and it seems the bucks were waiting for the does to come across the plum thickets to the woods and were waiting by an old deer trail. I see the big six fighting with a big ten point and was speechless watching them from 70 yards away. The ten must have won because here he comes chasing a doe on a trail that will parrellel my stand.
   But it was not to be, I called and tried to stop him but it was the chase phase and he wasn't stopping. This happenned three more times but he was just moving to fast in the brush for me. Then the six came through but i didn't have a clear shot at him either. About a 1/2 hour later here come my buck up from behind me, I take a quick look and I thought he was the big ten. As he passes by my stand at 10 yards I draw and then realize that is not the buck i thought, i hesitate a little bit, hit my achor and shoot him to far back. I was crushed making a bad shot so close! He is gut shot and my arrow is sticking out both sides while he stands aboutthirty yards away but brush is in the way. He walks off a little bit and then beds down. I figure well i have a plenty of time maybe he will expire right there or I'll get another shot.
About 15 minutes later in come a 125 class 8 and gets my buck up and scares him off.  I waited about a 1/2 hour and then sneak out to the fiels quietly. As i getto the trail where the deer were fighting here comes that big six and big ten point. I crouch down and each one walks by me at 15 yards giving me perfect shots.
   I leave the vehicle for my friend that is hunting about 700 yards away from me and decide to walk back to the house very disgusted with myself. Well we give the buck 6 hours and go outto see if we can find anything afraid of coyotes finding him that night. The guide tells me they lose 50% left overnightto coyotes. Well we find some blood and trail the deer to the creek and a bed under a cedar but then after another 50 yards the trail dries up. It is starting to get dark so  we mark last blood and head back. The outfitter gives me a 20% chance of finding the deer and suggest I get up at first light with my binoculars and plant myself in the field to see if I spot blood faced coyotes leaving the plum thickets to go back to there dens in the woods and he will meet me a little later to take up the trail. First light I'm glassing and don't see any coyotes but see  a nice buck chasing a doe. The guide shows up so we walk the couple of hundred yards to go to last blood and as I am entering the woods I call the guide back and tell him " I smell a gut shot deer" , the guide says well the wind is coming from that direction and sure enough there is my arrow sticking up ....and my deer. He had circled around and ended up dying next to his blood trail. I swear he took pity on my and knew what i was going through so he decided he would die so i could find him. I thanked him, God and the guide. He might be beat up with a bunch of broken points and not as big as the other one I saw but to me this buck will always be very special and humbling.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline digicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
Jeffrey, Great Story and congrats on a fine deer.  I love the rack......and certainly don't fix a thing on it.

Is this the first time you have hunted Kansas?  Is this the first time you have gotten to experience the whitetail rut like this?

fantastic isn't it.

Mike

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
NICE!! Congrats to all 3
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Yes, it was my first time hunting kansas and I loved it all. Hunting on Long Island public land you tend to always have someone coming through your area, whether it be a nother hunter, mountain biker or dog walker. Plus the deer are so pressured and the doe buck ratio so messed up true rutting behavior is hard to see. In the 5 days I hunted kansas I experienced 10 years worth of deer behavior back home. I already started saving for a trip hopefully in 2010.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Nice buck, Jeffrey, he's a campaigner!  :thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Nice buck Mint, he looks like a fighter for sure!  :thumbsup:  

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
Thats terrific! Congratulations!  :thumbsup:
Steve.

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  good story and some great looking bucks. Congrats to you on such a nice trophy.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
Another good buck from KS,Jeffrey !! Looks like he was a scrapper!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©