INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in the 'New Year' @ Solana Ranch....  (Read 28050 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in the 'New Year' @ Solana Ranch....
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2009, 06:07:00 AM »
Well, I'm not gonna start spinning my yarn until some others get theirs going... first liar doesn't stand a chance, you know!
  :D  

Shaun deposited me safely at home yesterday around noon and after a bowl of Billie's finest chili he got on the road.

We had a few weather concerns and almost bought the farm somewhere near Ft. Worth but otherwise the ride home was fine.

Much to do today, with trips to the meat store, taxidermist and getting pics downloaded and ready for the Gang.

Until then, I'm just chillin.

Talk to you all later.  :campfire:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
:coffee:    :coffee:  

Mornin' Charlie   :goldtooth:  Looking forwards to the rest of the stories!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
ICA, These deer are as tough to kill as any I've ever hunted.....that's no lie!  And I've been fortunate enough to hunt some amazing places    :thumbsup:

These guys might be more visible than deer in other parts of the country, but that sure doesn't mean they're any easier to kill. They are weary to the highest degree!  

Like Ol' Shep(David) said,  "you kill an old nanny around here, and you can kill a deer anywhere"...absolutely true!!!!

Steve O, Food was all included, and it is incredible!!

Terry, I'm sure it'll be "an all TG hunt again"...no doubt!  
 You've done a great thing getting this Trad Gang hunt started at Solana buddy. It's a very, very special place my friend. The staff is amazing, the food is amazing, and the company is a step above that! I'm sure all the others, like me, feel forever in your debt for all you've enriched our lives with.

If Terry does have any spots open when it's all said and done...anyone that loves a top notch adventure would be a fool not to jump in on this hunt. It just doesn't get any better folks!!!!

"Cy", my Killer Kempf Kwyk Styk....can you figure out what Cy is short for?????

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
Shaun & Charlie, glad ya'll made it home safe and sound.....now tell us a hunting tale......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Cyanide   ;)

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
School is delayed a couple of hours this morning because of flooding so here goes......The next evening proved to be even MORE eventful. David and I discussed it and we decided that I was going to buck hunt for a day or two. He took me to the "Blue Chair Trap"( a trap is an area without a feeder) where he had been seeing some really nice bucks. He told me not to shoot does or some pretty 2 1/2 year old bucks that would probably show up. We were after the big boys. So David lets me out at "Blue Chair" and I got situated. The stand is a wooden platform about 12ft off the ground with a blue swivel lunchroom chair in it. I wasn't there for 15 minutes when I head somthing to my right. I looked over and there stood a doe and two yearlings. I watched them for an hour or so when deer just started appearing everywhere! At one time I had 9 or 10 does posing for me at 15 yards and closer. So tempting! But I knew that David told me not to shoot does for a reason. At around 5:45 a look to my left and see a REALLY nice 8 pointer walking out of the trees. I slowly stood up to get ready for a shot. I just knew he was gonna give me a shot.....but it wasn't meant to be. The only time he ever came into range for me, he was quartering to me. He finally just grazed off at dark. But that wasn't the last I'd see of him............
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
TEXT Message Quote from Sky....."I almost had him Dad. Really Tall 8 pt    less than 20 yds but just would not turn    he never gave me a shot     Don't Stop Believin'"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
If any spots open up for next year it won't be mine or Davids  !
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
Congrats Skyler nice howg!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Curt: is "Cy" short for "Cyborg" as she is a clone of "Timex"?  ;)

Terry: I just want to reiterate what Curt and many others have said when I say Thank You for sharing this place with us and making this hunt what it is!  You are the man, and your excitement and passion in everything you do is infectious.  So a sincere and heartfelt thank you to you again!

My most memorable of this trip was one where I didn't even draw my bow.  I was dropped off first and saw a lot of deer.  Not sure how many but 35 - 40 would be a good guess including a nice 8 point that hung around within 20 yards of me for a bit over an hour.  Here are a couple of pics of him...

Long about 9:00 they all slowly walked out of site in front of me into the Texas scrub.  I didn't draw my bow for a couple of reasons.  One, I wanted someone to shoot that buck!  ;)  And two, I was already tagged out on deer and was hog hunting... those stories later...  Also about one half hour after all the deer had worked out of site I had a big bobcat trot across the road in front or me at about 125 yards and headed right into the scrub where all the deer had entered.  No camera ready, and of course no shot opportunity...

Nice hunt none the less, but the most memorable part of my hunt will be in my next post...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Curt, that bow almost looks like a one-eyed monster!  Hint, hint.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
On to the most memorable part of that hunt...

Robert came and picked me up, and I let him know what I had seen and we were off to pick up the other hunters in my party.  Fred had seen a few does and a coyote with no shot opportunities.  David was next, and let us know that he had shot a big 8 point and felt confident about the shot.  Yeah!  Then we picked up Thomas who said he'd either made the best shot of his life or the worst... ???  His big buck had done the Solana boogy when the arrow was released but was hit at a steep quartering away angle towards the off shoulder... would just depend on how high it went through everything...  Yeah?!?!  Then we went and picked up Randy who had seen a dandy buck and some does but no shot opportunity.  Off we went to get Taz...

We got to David's stand and a short blood trailing by Taz and his buck was found.

Yes!  Great to see!  And we were off to Thomas's stand.  Taz worked a bit, but a short while later the buck was found!

Yes!  This is good stuff!  

Thomas and David have been friends for a long time and have hunted together for 10 years, but with the area they hunt just don't have access to this caliber of deer.  It was so nice to see them both tag out on mature whitetail bucks 10 minutes appart from each other.  Short trails from great shots, excellent hunting from both of you!  I was humbled just to be able to share a little part of that moment with the both of you!  Congrats again!

Oh, and for those of you that were not there... David is/was severely allergic to something in the Texas scrub and this is what we had to work around to get good pictures of his buck...  Sorry David...  ;)

And thank you David for your compliment on my luck on this hunt, as you know there has to be a little luck when dropping the string on these high strung critters!

Great hunt, with great folks, all brought together by the "cyber campfire" that is the Trad Gang.  Words don't/can't really describe...

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
I was thinking the same thing as bigriver.  cy=cyclops  

Thanks for sharing this hunt fellas.  Definitely something to keep in mind for the future.  Looks like you all had a blast...Mike

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Last Tuesday I traveled to Chez Lamb for a fine steak dinner and start of a week of driving and hunting with Charlie. We drove diagonally across MO as the old story teller gave me a running history of his bow hunting and game warden days in the Ozarks. I may have added a tale or two myself before we made it to Waco, TX to lay up for Wednesday night.

Thursday we wandered into the Solana ranch headquarters to find a bunch of the T Gang unloading and claiming bunks. It is a real treat to meet the folks who we share this site with and one of my new favorites is a whipper snapper that ain't even a teen yet - Skyler

It hardly seems fair that a kid would have shooting form like this. He does not even have to release the arrow, you can tell he's right on. Where does he learn this stuff?

No wonder. Dad's form is spot on too.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Yeah Shaun, but they're both "backwards"...  ;)

Aw, that's better...  ;)

Loved sharing camp with you again Don, and was great to meet you finally Skyler!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shaun:

Where does he learn this stuff?

I have a good idea Shaun.....   :D
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Here's a few more of my buck.....

Here's Curt giving me capping instructions on just how to cape out a deer as to have plenty for a mount.
'
'

All Done.....

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Here in this thread is why Trad Gang is unequaled. Every person there was genuinely excited or disappointed not only for themselves but for each other as well.

Here are a few quick pictures.
Davids Elusive smile!

Randys hog:

Another one of David and Thomas

The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
"I don't know about all that picking a spot stuff....all I know is she stepped out and then left out....with that administration arrow stickin out" - David Shepard

David...ya better git to telling it....or someone else will.......    :readit:

We'd rather have you tell it....in your own special 'style'.    :goldtooth:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
wow!!! way cool terry congrats
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©