INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in the 'New Year' @ Solana Ranch....  (Read 28049 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in the 'New Year' @ Solana Ranch....
« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Good "eye" bigriver    :thumbsup: ...when Jack sent the bow and I unpacked it.The first thing that struck me besides it's beauty, was the eye looking at me. Hence the name "Cy", short for Cyclopes.....  

Michael, Never did get to say goodbye bud.....just as last year,it was a pleasure hunting, talking, and spending time with you   :notworthy:

..That evening I hunted the tri pod Sky shot his hog out of,as David had a trap he's been waiting to spring, We all hoped Skyler would get his buck!

This was actually also the spot Terry had shot his "haunting" buck out of last year.

It's a great spot, and almost immediately I heard hogs,but they never came in. Best buck of the evening was a nice 8pt with a broken off g-2. Nice, but he needed another year before I'd have shot him. Several does and fawns also made the sit interesting...good stuff!!

Next morning found me in another great spot that offered up several shots at does and young bucks. I was still hesitant to shoot a doe, fearing I'd spook an un seen shooter buck. But I'da shot a hog had they showed up.......Another great sit!!

I sat the same stand in the afternoon and was barely settled in when my phone vibrated again, it was Sky telling of Dads success!!! Don will tell that story though.....

Again several does and a couple small bucks where it. These were the calmest does I'd seen in two years of hunting Solana. Big does too, but once again, I passed fearing that I'd spook an un seen shooter buck. We headed for Don......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Holy cow guys!  You all really cleaned up over there!  Looks like an absolute blast!  Rob, your ability to take a great photo never ceases to amaze me.  Great stuff.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Did you guys do all that in only 4 days?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Yep...and like stated earlier...there's 2 more bucks and 4 more does that came in after that original group pic.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: January 07, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Wow.  Sounds like some pretty awesome hunting.  Looks like a hell of a good time.

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: January 07, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Curt, I really enjoyed every minute of it. Next year I will get a later flight.

OK I'll try this again.

Now Thats A Hog!!!!!!!!

The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: January 07, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
On a side note....what I did see ricocheting off was the front part of my arrow as we found the fletching end still in the buck sheared off at the exit hole.

On the last morning heading into camp for the last time we had to pass right by the killing tree, and I asked David if we could stop and look for the other half of my arrow.  We all got out and looked, but found nothing.....reason being it was lying on my bed when we got back.  Micheal Sunny Hill hunted the killing tree that morning, and I figured he or his guide found it....anyone know who found it?

Who ever it was, THANKS, that was just too cool!!!   :D  

Here's another pic showing some of the beautiful TX scenery I had from my stand....

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: January 07, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
I found it Terry. It was laying between the hole on the left and the tree. As soon as it got light I saw it.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: January 07, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Here is another pic of Jeffs buck.

Billy Ellis

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Thanks Michael......It looked like it flew on the other side of the road....never even looked on the stand side.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Like other's have said before, it aint at all just about the animals....its the folks that run this hunt, the property, and the food that make this place so special, and when you got a full boat of Trad Hunters its even better.

And Yes....having Skyler in camp made it even more special.  Don is raising a fine young man for sure.

I certainly enjoyed meeting and visiting with everyone, but no, we didn't all get enough time to visit enough.  Seems like we were alway hunting, eating, sleeping, tracking, and picture taking....and not much of that was sleeping, bout 4 and a half hours a night 5 and a half if you were lucky.

It's really cool reading about these hunts by guys that weren't in your truck, as we got to see the animals and hear bits and pieces, but the written stories here with the details are just great and nice to relive the hunt with them.

Thanks for all the comments from those that went, and those that are reading.  I hope to put this together again next year for sure, and it wont come soon enough if I do.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Sure hope there are some open spots. This is one I would like to get in on.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2009, 03:46:00 PM »
Now to back up a bit to Thursday's AM hunt...

When I got dropped off we actually ran a deer out of the area, which only ran a few feet into the scrub.  More corn was strategically placed by Robert on the way out and I'd scurried up the to the tree stand and got settled.  Literally before the truck was out of site there was a deer back in feeding on the new corn layed down.

That deer continued to feed until it was light enough for me to see that it was a buck, a very respectable 8 pointer.  As the sun came up and it was light enough to see well quite a few more deer had entered the area.  Maybe upwards of 20 different deer were now in feeding.  Low and behold the feeder finally goes off and WHOOSH!!!  Not a deer to be seen!  

Less than 10 minutes later they all started coming back into the site with the same big 8 leading the way...  now, more deer upon more deer are heading into the area, probably 30 or so total.  From behind me I hear several turkey yelps, and what sounds like a small army making its way over the hill.  It gets louder and louder as they approach, and they all gang rush the feeder.  Of course this scares all the deer out of there.

Now there are 50+ turkeys in and around the feeder working hard on the corn.  Not a beard among them!  Just last night Terry, Curt, and I had discussed the turkeys and if we needed to have a tom or not...  Never did get a definitive answer on that one, would have been nice given my scenario...

Not knowing if I can shoot any of these I decide to wait on a tom or nothing to be on the safe side.  Then out of the corner of my eye I see three of the does working/fighting their way back into the area to claim some more feed.  One of which gets pushed back to right out in front of my stand at 10 - 12 yards right in my shooting lane.

I slowly raised my bow and drew down on her concentrating on the bottom of her chest right behind her front leg as she stood broadside with her head down facing to my right.  And the next thing I know she is laying on the ground with what looks like WWIII going on around this feeder with turkeys getting with it and taking flight to get the heck out of Dodge!

I grab another arrow and draw down on my spine shot doe who has made her way to 15 yards now quartering away to my left and put one through her lungs.  She expires right there in the middle of the feeder opening.  Now I know I'm supposed to stay in my stand, but I'm pretty sure nothing else will be coming into feed with a dead deer laying right there.  So, I did the unthinkable and got down, gathered my arrows and drug her back under the tree I was in and got back into my stand.

Then it dawned on me that the first shot was a spine shot pass through.  I've never had that happen before, and with a Magnus 1 2-blade which has a pretty wide cutting diameter of 1 1/2".  Bob makes a heck of a bow.  ;)

Less than 15 minutes later a small group of bucks make an appearance, three 8 points, a forkhorn, and a spike.  They feed contently until a 900 lb Angus walks through and scares them off...

The morning passes along and Peanut shows up with Robert and a load of my fellow hunters.  I get everything situated and am listening to them as they get out and assess the situation.  "There's blood right here" and "It must have happened right here" and It looks like a spine shot with a follow up" were heard as I decended the stand.  I just turned around and said, "Well, sounds like you all already know the story"  ;)  

We loaded her up and headed back to camp for breakfast.

Two hunts, and two deer down with three complete pass throughs.  Also got confirmation from Peanut that toms are the only turkeys we can legally shoot.  WHEW!!!  I know there are several of those hens that almost bit the dust!  ;)

Another great hunt, with the Solana/Texas deer boogy thwarted... barely...  ;)
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Looks great guys. Sorry I couldn't make it this year. I thought last year was good, but this year seems even better. Hope to join you next year. Congrats to all.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Good to hear your stories Jeff...but I believe there's one more that involves some shootin'    ;)

Bill, Thought we'd see ya while we were there...maybe next year bud...

Michael, Terry thought that was the coolest thing ever when he found that broken arrow on his bed...you should have seen him smile    :goldtooth:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
Here is a little action from the video camera....

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
Jeff I sure am enjoying reading your stories. I am going to agree with thomas and say I dont think my spot will be open if I can avoid it.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Sorry posted under Dad's log in
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
The next morning, David sent me back to "Blue Chair". I could just barely make out the shapes of several deer out in front of me. I looked to my right and what do I see? A familiar looking, tall 8-pointer. I stood up to get ready to make a shot if one presents itself. He was about 40 yards out in the field, but he was slowly making his way in closer to me. At this point there are deer everywhere. About ten does, 3 or 4 spikes, a 4-point, and another 8-point, this one about two and a half years old, and about 14 or 15 inches wide, a very nice buck but nothing like the big 8.... I could tell the deer were alot more skittish than the last evening. Any time I just barely moved the deer would spook and run about 40 yards and come back. The big 8 never would get closer than 25 yards. The buck kinda just grazed away after a while. David had told me that I could shoot a doe after 8:30. The last deer left at 8:15. Close again. But I guess the big 8 just wasn't the deer I was supposed to kill............
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Thank You all for the kind things said about Sky......Ya'll know how to make a Father proud....He really enjoyed meeting every one of you.....Don
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©