INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in the 'New Year' @ Solana Ranch....  (Read 28046 times)

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in the 'New Year' @ Solana Ranch....
« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
My arrow disappeared into his chest and he went down and then was on his feet again. He only went about 30 yds.....Then the shaking began........
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
awesome buck guru!! that pic has just about got me convinced to use 160 snuffers next season!!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
He was a good buck and I was very happy with him. I said a thank you prayer and just set and looked at him for a good 30 minutes.....wondering how Sky, Curt and Terry were making out with the morning hunt when I got a text message from Curt..........
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Here's some pix of Don's buck.....

He'd made another good shot!!!

Just as we were finishing up the pix of Don's buck, the rest of the gang showed up to share and add to our experience......I swear, it just doesn't get any better than this......

Sorry if I post a a lot of pix, but this means an awful lot to me....

This one is with David, a guy that I've only spent 8 days with over a two year period, but have come to luv like a brother...It's hard to leave the ranch when you have to say goodbye to him......Thank you so much David!

more pix tomorrow......still got some catching up to do.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
I can't descibe the emotions that I felt when I read the text messege....."I just drilled the freaky buck"....A huge smile just came over my face.....sitting here looking at my buck and less than 150 yds. away, Curt was having the time of his life.......I couldn't wait to go help and congratulate him....Live pic of "Curt's Buck"......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Afew pics of the stand, etc...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
The stand was comfortable but unique...a ladder stand that started about 10 feet off the ground.....I love it.....Skyler has a few more tales involving BIG Bucks and there's still more tales to be told by the other guy's including Mr. Lamb........Don
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ole shep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
With my Tradgang admint.arrow between two fingers a qiver of misfits and a vintage bear bow in same hand. I stare up at the new step scewed in to replace the one that pulled out last year leaving a 257# bow hunter hanging upside down blood rushing to head. Scent lock coveralls,wrangler blue jeans and top of snake boot hung securley on next step down. A quick look down confirms my fears.If I do come free Ill go head first into three or four long rebars I had drilled holes and drove into the mighty liveoak not to mention the honey comb lime stone at ground zero. unable to right my self other options came to mind. How am I going guys,slow enough??
Bob Sarrels 56" 56lb {shoots Its self}. Kanati  ( On our honeymoon) There is nothing a dip of snuff won't make better

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Good to see you again David We're ready for the story, sure to be a good one......I've got to leave it with ya'll for a few days....headed to Indy for a Trade Show. I'm sure Sky will take up where he left off......More Pics.......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Here's one of the best pics of the trip......OLE Shep and Sky.......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Man Skyler is shooting up there. Every new pic he's an inch taller.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
OH YEA!!!!!    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
nice going guys.

Interesting that you'r aiming Low on all the deer they must be pretty Jumpy, do they get shot at a lot?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
I dont know how much they get shot at but as Michael said there are not many good things that can happen to a deer at a feeder. lol. I can tell that they are fast as lighting.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: January 08, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Great stories! may I vote for this to be added to memorable Hunts!

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: January 08, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
Continuing on with Thursday brought a mid-day tracking adventure that found Curt's hog and Terry's buck.  Weather is hot, and the wind continues out of the south...  We got back just in time to head back out to the field.

I found my crew, grabbed my gear and we piled into the truck.  Before we got out of the main driveway Robert was on the phone with David "Ole Shep" finalizing stand locations for everyone.  We got into the main gate and another quick call was made as we pulled off the side of the road and Ole Shep's truck pulled around us.  After a few minute conversation Robert looked to me and said "This is you," and gave me directions to the stand.  

The stand site was easy enough to find, also found a tripod stand on the downwind side with a postage stamp for a platform.  Interesting getting in and getting out of this stand!  Very comfortable to sit in though, very well hidden within the tree it is set up in with a nice shooting lane to the feeder which is about 25 yards away.

A few minutes after getting into the stand I see a the back half of a deer about 125 yards away that slips out of site into the scrub.  In the next hour and a half I can literally hear the dogs barking at the main camp.  Then the feeder goes off and still nothing else seen...

About 20 minutes after the feeder went off I see a deer in the same place I saw the back end of a deer earlier.  At this distance it looks like a doe, and I just so happen to still have a doe tag to spare.  ;)   So I ready for a shot as I'm only catching bits and pieces of this deer heading to the feeder...

Finally this deer steps into my shooting lane and low and behold it is a small 3 point buck... and off limits for me.  So, I just watch him feed for about 10 - 15 minutes and he moves on.  A few minutes after that I have a yearling walk right in under the feeder out of the scrub, looks like a doe but is small and possibly a button buck.  Shortly after a larger deer with no horns limps in... she has had an injury to her back left leg at some point and was not using it at all.  She feeds for quite a while and won't come any closer than the other side of the feeder.

On a side note: I truthfully don't think this stand gets used very often as the deer seemed to be almost normal.  They were not nervous or jumpy like every other deer I've seen on this property.  Refreshing...  

I continued to watch these two deer for another 30 minutes or so and confirmed that she was not going to come any closer than she was... although she was standing completely broadside, very calm, head down feeding on corn.  

Sorry, another side note: the doe I shot last year was very similar to this one, long ways off (32 yards) very calm and feeding and didn't jump at all at the shot, but rather just lifted her head at the shot and took the arrow right where I was looking.

So, I slowly move into position and draw concentrating directly on her heart.  Not the base of the chest, normal shot for me directly at the heart.  Next thing I see is my nock and feathers tracking to her direcly where I was looking, and like clockwork she simply lifts her head and the arrow strikes about 2" above where I was looking.  Off she goes directly away from me with my arrow in her up to the wrap.  She hits the scrub and disappears then all fell silent again.

I feel very good about the shot, and at 27 yards everything needed to be perfect for me to drop the string.  The arrow actually had to go between the legs of the feeder to get to where she was standing, but with the small spot I had picked out they were not even in my thought process.

I sit back and relax for about 10 minutes just reliving the shot and what transpired after.  Then another deer steps into my shooting lane and snaps me back into reality.  I take a quick glimpse around through the branches and leaves that have me so well hidden and realize there are five deer within 30 yards of me.  Three more does, a button buck, and another very respectable 8 point buck.  They are also very calm, and just work their way in and feed.  

They stay there until dark and slowly move off into the scrub.  Well I wait for Robert to show up, but now it is well after dark.  Do you remember the stand being interesting to get into and out of?  Try it in the dark!  I finally got out of the stand, thankfully without the help of mother earths gravity, and slowly work my way back out to the main road.

Another 15 or 20 minutes pass and Dave "Ole Shep" pulls in and picks me up with an empty truck.  He lets me know that Robert has in fact had two flat tires and is in kindof a bind, and drives me back to the main camp.  When we get there I pile out and start setting my gear down and Ole Shep grabs his dog "Cisco" and heads out to track an animal shot by his group.  

Peanut happens to be working at the grill cooking some sausages and asks how my hunt went.  I told him about the shot and that she ran off with the arrow in her.  Now pardon my French, but he lets out in his Texas accent, "That B!+(# ran off with your arrow!?"  "Well lets go see if we can get it back from her!"

So we grabbed his dog "Hib," piled into his truck and off we went.  We arrived there shortly and I walked over to check for blood which there was plenty and he got Hib ready.  Hib got the scent and worked his way directly down the trail where she had gone.  Less than a minute later Hib's bell stopped ringing.  We caught up to him and at end of the flashlight beam I saw Hib "marking" my doe.  I worked my way into the thicket and praised Hib for a job well done and grabbed my doe.

Got her loaded up and headed back to camp for another spectacular meal.  Three hunts, four shots taken, three complete pass throughs and one pass through with the arrow still in the animal.  Total recovery distance of all animals taken 105 yards.  It doesn't get much better.

What I learned on this hunt is you need to read the animal, get a sense of how keyed up they are and pick your spot accordingly.  They are jittery at a standstill 99% of the time, but from time to time you can find the "normal" deer even in these highly pressured circumstances.  Distance of the shot seems to play a big role too, the further they are away from the shot the less they seem to react.  Just little things I've observed and take it for what you will if you ever find yourself on this hunt or one like it...  Oh, also, I haven't taken a single shot at a game animal while standing on this ranch.  I just never felt I would be able to stand up without not having anything to shoot at when I did get to the standing position.  Learn to shoot while sitting, it will greatly increase your chances of a successful shot while here.

Great hunt, great folks, memories that will last a lifetime.  I'm also with Thomas, David, and Randy... My slot will not be one of the "open" slots to get filled in the years to come!

Friday morning on I'm hunting hogs and turkeys as I'm tagged out on deer...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: January 08, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »
What can I say about Solana that hasn't already been said. What a great time, great place and the best huntin partners a guy could imagine.

Shaun and I arrived in Shaun's usual way. He didn't know for sure where the ranch was, but it didn't stop him from keeping the truck moving. Zen navigation is a wonderful thing and I think Shaun is a master of it.

While we weren't the first ones there like we thought we might be, we certainly weren't the last.
Guys were showing up every minute for a while.

It could be hard to get past the parking area...  

Bob Morrison seemed extra tickled to be there. Of course he seems that way anywhere you run into him.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2009, 06:35:00 AM »
Imagine walking into a camp where you know everyone already. That was Solana.

Hell, I hadn't ever personally met most of the guys there, but it made no difference. We were friends from before the introductions and only got to be better ones as the week went by.

Of course you know my buddy Curt "Guru" Cabrera was there and I really had been looking forward to seeing him again.
It had been years.

Terry Green would share the same bunk house. He appears confused as to what piece of equiptment he'll unpack next in this photo.

Rob (Paleface) was busy unpacking as well and at this stage of the hunt I was still into name memorization.
Since remembering names is a personal problem for me, I spent the first three days refering to him as "camera dude".

Very nice guy in a group of really nice guys.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2009, 06:50:00 AM »
With a few hours ahead of us before we'd head for the stands we busied ourselves doing the things that bowhunters do before a hunt.

Arrows were readied and edges checked for razor sharpness one more time. Decisions about proper clothing and the weather forecast were made.
New guys (me) tried to milk all the information they could from veterans of the ranch.

Of course in the end all the stuff had been prepped at home and there was little that just had to be done. Matter of fact, I don't remember anyone saying they'd forgotten some major item.

These guys knew what they were doing.

I snapped this picture of Tom hitting the practice butts that first day. It was a routine we'd all follow over the course of the hunt.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©