INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in the 'New Year' @ Solana Ranch....  (Read 28159 times)

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in the 'New Year' @ Solana Ranch....
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Wow!  Sounds like everyone had a great time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Congratulations to all on bagging the most elusive quarry of all---a good time. I'm happy to see that, even with such a bounty taken, you "smelled the roses".

I've been going out there for ten years or so and those folks at Solana are like my second family (even if David does deny it when I tell folks that) and I'm really proud of the job they do. John, Peanut, Robert, Jim, Gary and my other brother David really pride themselves on making sure their hunters have a good time, are well-fed and have plenty of shooting opportunities.

I usually stay at the guide shack (to spare my fellow hunters my loud snoring) and i can tell you they lose sleep when they feel they aren't "successful" enough.
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline ole shep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
I got joel iooking for me a bow, yall know any thing about sarrels bow. These texans seem to like them and the man that makes em.
Bob Sarrels 56" 56lb {shoots Its self}. Kanati  ( On our honeymoon) There is nothing a dip of snuff won't make better

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
Congratulations to all the guys who went to Solana this year. I'm glad all of you had a good time and made the trip a huge success in every way, especially the comradery among fellow TradGangers.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
Great to hear these stories each year. Must have been  'awesome'.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
Wow!!! Congrats to everyone who attended.  Looks like you all had an awesome time.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :archer:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Jeff and Randy, cool to get the whole story on your bucks...hadn't heard them before,congrats again to both of ya    :thumbsup:  

I'm wading thru over 220 pix and getting them ready to post. I'll try to go day by day.

Ol' Shep(David), What can I say...but what I told ya at camp..."You're the hardest guy to say goodbye to" . I mean it brother, you're just a pleasure to be around and hope someday to bring my boy to meet and spend a hunt with you. I'm getting "lumpy"(like Terry said to me)just typing this...Luv ya man!

I rode with and was guided by David(Ol'Shep) and was also with Terry, Don(DW) and Skyler Wilson. That's a truck full of the finest folks walking gods green earth. It just doesn't get any better! It's a real privilege to share the company of such fine people.  And that's just who I actually hunted with! The camp was full of the same kind of guys. How's that for something to look forward to after hunting. Coming into camp and sharing stories with each other, and better yet, just spending time with each other.....boys and girls...IT JUST DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER!!!!!!!!!

some pix to start off with.....arriving at camp.....

lots more to follow....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
WOW.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:   and it sounds like the fun has just begun!!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Great stories and pics! Glad to see evryone had a good time.
hunt it

Offline pistolero

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Thomas and I have made a lot of memories together but killing two good bucks within ten minutes of each other is a memory I will reflect upon for many years to come.

Now, I must say, Jeff had more words in that post than I heard him say all weekend!  And I hunted with him everyday and was there when we found his buck.  While a man of few words, I'd hate to be down range when you start slinging arrows buddy.  Jeff drilled everything he decided to shoot.  Good hunting.

An interesting observation.  I've hunted with groups of compound hunters a bit and I'll say that their wound ratios were higher and kill ratios less than what I saw with this group of hunters.  Good job.  That's not to bash compound hunters, just a good testimony to the effectiveness of traditional equipment!

Now, my buck is suffering from "ground swellage" and I think I need to go look at him again before he busts right out of that freezer!!!

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
while everyone is waiting patiently here are some pics of the gang....

"Some Prickly Pear Practice"

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
A few more of some of the gang as they get ready to head out into the Texas Bush....

>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
The first couple of days I sat a few stands by myself to capture mostly video, but I did manage to grab a few still pics with my camera.  

some of the landscape around "Solana Ranch"

both of these bucks would have been shooters in my book. Guess in a manner of speaking they were, I just shot em with my camera instead of my bow. This time anyway.

>~Rob~>

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
Man it looks like you guys had a hoot!!Quite an experience.Im looking forward to reading more.Waiting, not patiently but waiting!
Bill

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
here's a couple of pics of "ole shep"... let me tell you he's a pretty good shot with that "Bear Bow" Not to mention a dang great guide...

>~Rob~>

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Joel, You and Matt were surely missed bud. Hopefully next time. Saw a pic of your hog from Dec...congrats!!

Rob, Great pix!

Dave, I don't blame ya...he's a good one!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
Don I was glad to finnally get to meet the young skyler. You have a fine man there. It was an honor to hunt with him. I hope that I get the oppertunity again.

I thought that was great that ole shep joined in the fun too. That old bear is a shoting machine even with that twisted limb lol.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Why is it that every photo I see of "THE GURU" he's so un-kept and always in need of a HAIR CUT    :clapper:      :clapper:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
My first stand the afternoon we got there just happened to be a place I've thought about getting to hunt again since last year....It was almost a like David knew...but I hadn't said a word to him about that....it was just fate I guess.....

I had already decided before I got there that I wouldn't pass up any buck on the first day, that I'd be glad to shoot on the last.

It didn't take long and I had several does/fawns and three nice bucks around me.All 8 points, two were what I figured 2 1/2 yr. olds, and the third looked a year older. I thought for a while and decided I'd try for him....

I took a perfect shot, I shot a great arrow, but he just didn't "follow the script" about dropping at the shot.....Let's leave it at that,I ended up very disappointed, nuff said.....

But when we went to pick up Terry, he had a great story to tell...which I'll let him tell when he's ready...I have some nice pix to add when he does......

When we got to camp, it was already buzzin'!! Game was falling already, this group was taking no prisoners, that's for sure!

Vance, Don't you know I have an image to uphold    ;)  
Every meal was fit for a king buddy, absolutely the finest camp food I've ever eaten!
Curt } >>--->   

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©