3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow or Recurve for a newbie???  (Read 432 times)

Offline inthebox30lbs

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow or Recurve for a newbie???
« on: January 04, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
What would be best for someone starting out a longbow or recurve.  What would be easier to shoot and more forgiving.  I would Appreciate any opinions.  Thanks alot
scott

Offline cvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow or Recurve for a newbie???
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
Im afraid that is all your going to get --opinions.I would reccommend you try both out for a time and figure out what works best for you.If you are interested in hunting I know Howard Hill would say the longbow for its forgiving nature (stable/accurate).

Offline seany916

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Go with what you WANT to shoot. Which makes you happier? Then you'll shoot more and you'll be better with that one.

It's not the bow, it's the archer. (And how much he enjoys shooting his bow).

Just another opinion.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
It won't matter much but stick with a very manageble weight to start.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Starting out I honestly don't think it matters as you won't likely have picked up any preferences or bad habits. I shot a longbow better in the begining but quickly switched to the recurve because I liked the lines and reports I had read about their superior performance characteristics. I recommend that you try both and ignore the debate about which is better. One will likely grab you over the other or you may switch-it's all FUN!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
If you are talking training a person that has never shot before, as I have with hundreds of youth, I cannot reccommend strongly enough that a good fitting recurve, as long as they can comfortably hold.

The grip with a shelf will be easier for them to hold.  The longer the bow the smoother the draw.  I like to use a rubber arrow rest that has the little 'hook' in it to help keep the arrow on the rest.

Once you have taught them the basics of stance, hold, nocking, aiming, release and follow through - then you can move onto other styles of bow.

Even if they are bound to go on to training wheels, the techniques learned in traditional shooting form will help them from developing bad habits with other bows.

I love shooting the longbow without a rest more than any other - but I also believe that is a harder technique to master.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©