3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First arrow of the year!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
First arrow of the year!
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
It was Jan 3rd and I had not even shot an arrow from any of my bows. The NJ gang was going out for the winter bow fun and I had to work that day 3-11.  I decided I couldn't make that hunt.  I figured I would drop in the woods near work hoping to catch early afternoon movement before heading into the lab. I wasn't out long and a lone doe came cruising in to my blind location headed toward the corn fields. She stopped at 15 yards just after passing me. She turned and looked back at when I drew, but it was too late for her. My first arrow of the year let out a loud crack as it entered the shoulder. She took off running with her head down, my arrow sticking out both sides. I watched her go 100 yards and lay down. (open woods with snow on the ground lets you see pretty far). I backed out and figured she would be done when I got out of work that night and I could find her then. Well....... 11pm and I'm in the woods and I hear her move off into some brush. I couldn't believe it! I thought my shot was a done deal. I went home and figured on coming back Sunday evening before my next shift 11-7.  I drop into the woods only a few yards and glass the area below. Right off I see the deer laying there with my hot pink fletch sticking out of her chest and she has her head up. (I got the hot pink idea from those fellas that hang with the Skipper. Thanks Joe.) Any way, now I'm totally feeling ill. I stalk down near her and she gets up and moves 10 yard and drops back down. I know this deer is hurting , but I can't push it .  I'm going to give it till morning after work. I got relief early at work, so I was back in the woods at the crack of dawn. When it is light enough, I see her looking at me. I decide she must be very weak and I can't stand to let her suffer another day. I get up and run with every thing I have at her. She gets up and the race is on. I ran her down after about 120 yards of getting my face beat by branches as I put my all into getting her.  I pulled out my knife and punctured one lung then the other with two blows of the blade and it was over as her last breath blew out her sides. Thou I felt bad about the long time it took to recover this deer, I let out a loud praise to my God for giving me the wisdom and physical strength to do what I did and tag this deer. I don't normally like to share such a hard story, but I need to share how I gave every effort to get this deer. I found my arrow entered through the shoulder missing the lung and cut a slice through the esophagus  and came out the lower part of her neck. The pink fletch allowed me to pick out the deer a long way off on the days I was checking up on her. So Joe, you kind of helped me with out even knowing it. I thank The Lord for answering my prayers on this tag.       :notworthy:       This is my first longbow deer and my first deer in a couple of years.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First arrow of the year!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
...wow..Congrats on your doe.   :thumbsup:

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :archer:

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Your perseverance and dedication to ensuring a successful comp[letion to this hunt shows you to be a true hunter. I also use the flurecent pink fletching. Though I got mine from Stokes Sporting Goods and not from the Skipper, though he may have given them the idea.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Almost forgot to thank Sharpster for turning me on to the hunting spot. Thanks Ron.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
nice work. I had a similar experience earlier this season with my wheel bow. and it sure feels good when you can finally recover that lost animal.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Good for you Jerry! That's awesome!!   :clapper:   The Big Man Upstairs really gave you the strength and insite to get done what you had to.   :pray:   Congrats Bud!   :goldtooth:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
Nice going Jerry...keep it up and you just might make it as a member of Team Pink    :thumbsup:  

Except for the part where you ran it down and finished it with your knife...LOL....perserverance pal...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Wow Jerry! You are a member of Team Pink in my eyes. Mike Bamboo is My Hero this week so you gotta wait for next week to be My Hero. OK?  ;)

Looking Foward To Meeting You....

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Great job Jerry, how to stick with it......Joe, he looks a might bit younger than us, I don't know that I could run a deer down even if my membership in Team Pink depended on it!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
let's see ol' Tred Barta top that one!  Wicked story!
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
What a story...way to go

Jer Bear

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Well done and congrats!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
Incredible story Jerry,

Now that's the way to bring in the new year!  :thumbsup:

No need to thank  me.   :notworthy:   I'm sure you would have found that place all by yourself. Glad to hear that the 'ol stompin grounds are still producing. Well done.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Congrats! So for educational purposes, where did you actually hit her and why do you think she lasted so long? It sounds like you got extremely lucky in recovering her.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Well, I never really got vitals. Because of the quartering away shot, the arrow went through the shoulder and I guess some shoulder bone helped guide the arrow so that the arrow angle changed and went up into the neck just passed the front of the lungs and out the neck. I only sliced the esophagus, so she could still get air into her lungs. She did bleed a lot at first but subsided after she bedded. It was a big enough trauma to the shoulder and chest that it put a very big hurt on the deer which allowed me to finally catch it. The front shoulder were a waste as far as meet. Amazing what that arrow does to a body. I butchered the back straps and hind quarters this morning along with any other meat I could salvage.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Way to persevere! I had to run down a hog once to dispatch it. Congrats.

Offline stikbow4148

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
nice job,congrats on the deer..well earned and deserved..john
"when bows shoot faster than 300f.p.s it ain't called bowhunting no more.."FRED BEAR"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©