3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ACX N Wood Arrows???  (Read 443 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
ACX N Wood Arrows???
« on: January 05, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Think I've got it about right, I'd just like to hear from you fellas that have been shooting wood arrows for a while..

I have an ACS CX it pulls 52 lbs. @ 30.  I am pulling a consistent 29.5'.  So 51 lbs??? Somewhere around there..

I built the shelf out with one piece of velcro and then use a Martin Rug Rest.  

My woodies are 65-69 spine and are 30'long. I've shot them and they hit well, broadhead on them hits well and paper tune looks real good.  

Does this sound about right? Could I go up one spine and still be ok??? Or would you leave it alone right where it is? Thanks in advance... Steve
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ACX N Wood Arrows???
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Not to me it doesn't. I would think you would need to shoo at least 7-=75 spine if not a tad more. Mine liked to be about 20-25# over my draw weight for woodies. Shawn
Shawn

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
How heavy are your field points & broadheads?

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
Steve, given that you built out the sight plate and therefore reduced how far past center the bow is, having shafts that are 15-20# over-spined sounds about right.  If they are flying well then they are right!

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Tips are 125 gr.  The side is built out the original side plate that came on the bow and then an extra rug rest, so it is pretty thick???  Seems to shoot well.. Paper tune well?? I just figured it would still need more spine?  But John you should know, you made them didn't ya?
Blessings,
Steve

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
If they shoot well at your desired range, I don't really see the need to ask this question.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
New to woodies is why I ask.Just trying to make sure they aren't so under-spined they are shooting left. Someone told me that happens at times?

Out to 30 yrds. they are flying well...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
My ACS is 52#@28, and I also built out the sight window a bit.  I shoot woodies from 60# to 80# and they all shoot good, though the 60s are a little on the light side.  It likes 65# and up.  No doubt, I could shoot spines heavier than 80#, but I don't have any.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
I have a 54# at my draw length and I have 75# spine with a 140 grain head. it shoots great.

If yours shoots great what do you want.....

We all want the arrows to shoot great so we tinker until it happens. Your release and draw all factor in. I would venture to say that everyone could shoot another persons bow after it is tuned for the owner and not shoot the arrow the same out of it.

SO I would say you have minor tinkering to do..brace height nock point and shelf and you can tune your bow to those arows anyway cause you are in the ball park.

Just my thoughts

Jer Bear

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
If your arrows are grouping a little left, they are overspined, not under if your right hand shooter

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
For my bows that are cut to center or past I use woodies that are #15 in spine weight over draw weight when shooting off the shelf.

For my DAS and TT Titan with elevated rests and plungers I can go down much lower in arrow spine weight generally 5-8 lbs over draw weight.

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Steve, If they paper-test good then you have your answer.  I would have expected a higher-spine shaft though.

I shoot 70/75 out of my liberty.

Hey I got another bow you need to try...A Sky Rouge longbow.  Pretty radical r/d and seems to be a quick bow.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Paul Jalon from Elite arrows told me that all woods are not the same spine. At some shops they don't rate them the same....now if you are doing your own spine testing maybe that's better.

I bought some from Kustom King and they said the spine was 80-85 and they flew nice and then Paul sent me some at 70-75 and they flew nice out of my ACX. So depending on where you buy them they maybe different.

All I know is if they paper tune and shoot like you want them too the rest is real micro fine tuning. I think you have it pretty close now

Jer Bear

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
bareshaft one, you'll have your answer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©