3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longhunter wool shirt  (Read 941 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Longhunter wool shirt
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
I just ordered the brown one and was wondering what some of you wore under it in 20-25 degree weather.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longhunter wool shirt
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
A 100% wool sweater from the GoodWill Store!!!!!

Probly run ya about $3.00     :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Yep, i got a woolrich and ll bean sweater from goodwill, between the 2 it cost about 5 dollars.  very warm fro laying.  let us know how you like the longhunter, i am planning to order one or 2 myself, they look great!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
I keep looking at the Goodwill but all I've found were a couple of silk aloha shirts...
Nice shirts but they tend to spook the deer.  :D  
I did get a good deal on a heavy green plaid Woolrich shirt at a website store tho and it is nice and warm.

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
I have been hunting with the Gray Longhunter from Ron LaClair, I think it is a little heaver than the brown Longhunter. I too use a Ragwool sweater under mine with a light thermal shirt under that. I stay nice and warm all day long. I also have the hood that covers your shoulders and neck. I think it makes a BIG differents with keeping you warm and dry. I have had mine for the last four yrs and plan on ordering another one or two!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Good Luck!! I know you will be happy with your new Longhunter shirt!! I also like the new striped wool shirts Ron has on his site!  :thumbsup:  

Raven >>>>--------->

P.S. I LIKE all of Ron's hunting gear, throwing knife, and Shrew Hawk! GOOD STUFF!!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
The wool shirts that I've seen on Ron's website look to be of excellent quality and very reasonably priced for new wool garments.

It is definitely worthwhile to keep an eye on thrift shops. I've seen some of the high dollar 'wool' garments sold at the local outdoor megastore (that starts with 'C') and have found that most are actually wool blends with barely 50% wool.  I have found much better made 100% wool shirts, sweaters and pants of various thicknesses in excellent condition at the local thrift shop / goodwill stores.

I've bought about 4 100% cashmere shirts (and several 100% merino sweaters)  All for less than $10 each. For me, the material of the garment is far more important than the camo pattern - it is very easy to dye a camo pattern into the wool. A couple of the sweaters already have a pattern that camoflauges as well, if not better than any commercial camo pattern. For shirts and sweaters, make sure they fit loosely enough so you can wear several fairly thin layers (each subsequent layer can be a bith thicker) without any restriction of movement. This will also help trap air between layers.

For pants, I prefer one layer of thin (microlight) merino long johns and one pair of wool pants over top.  The thickness of the outer pants I select will depend on the temperature range I'll be in, but the long johns will always be very light weight.  I have a few pairs of wool pants that range in thickness from superthin (for hot summer weather) to thick military surplus ones for the -40ish late season conditions.

For my base layers, I will buy new. Base layers should always be thin. The best value for the money I've found is the microlight merino wool garments from MEC;

boxers  

long johns  

T- shirt

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm going to have to order one for myself pretty soon also. They should work well.

Offline Janne Nilirova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Here is some Longhunters.  http://www.shrewbows.com/wool_shirts/
There is no Dumb question..

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
i have one of Ron's wool Longhunte shirts and in one word AWESOME!! i wear it often and keeps me plenty warm. use a sash with it and you can stuff your lunch, gloves and a wool had in it.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
My wife got me the brown one as an early christmas present from Ron.  I tell  you what for the money it is awesome.  the first time out, I had to shed my wool coat for it was so warm.  Has a doe come 15 yards from me without knowing I was there.  I will be getting the heavier grey one, just for when it really get's down to 0 or below.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
todd,what did you wear under it?

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
I wear a light thermal shirt, then my Grandfather's WWII wool shirt with the grey longhunter on top.  I have been very comfortable.  I do wear a fleece around my neck since I do not have a hood for my shirt.  The length of the shirt is the best.  Great to sit down on that cold metal stand and not feel it!
I was worried about the grey not being camo.  I have had more deer look right through me with that grey shirt on.  I have seen no dis-advantage w/ it not being camo.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
i wear a long sleeve shirt, light wool wool shirt, and heavy wool sweater under it. i stay warm in very, very cold weather!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I've got the grey one and for sitting on the ground (so far this year down close to 0), I'll wear a thermal undershirt, flannel over that, nice and cheap wool sweater, the longhunter and a filson mackinaw vest over that.

I may be a cold weather wuss, but I'm a waaaarm cold weather wuss.  :-D

That's way too much for stillhunting in the same weather, btw.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
Does he make a 3X ?
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 06:50:00 AM »
not sure of 3x but they run VERY BIG. mine is a 2x and i like loose fitting clothes and to me this fits me perfect as i can layer a lot of clothes under it.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Does he make a 3X ?  
Yes, 3X on special order. Right now we're out of our heavy weight gray wool but should have more by the end of the month. We do have enough of the gray to make the shirts that are on order.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Doug A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
My wife got me a brown shirt for Christmas.  I wear a heavyweight polypro shirt, the longhunter, and then my Columbia wool jacket.  I have been very comfortable on stand near 30 degrees and still hunting in freezing drizzle.
Member UBNJ, TANJ

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
My wife got me the Grey Longhunter for Christmas and I love it. I wear Under Armour cold gear and a Woolrich wool sweater under mine and can sit still in 20 degree weather with no problem. IMHO its the best $60.00 you can spend on hunting apparel.   Glenn
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©