3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help,please, identifying Magazine ?  (Read 317 times)

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
Help,please, identifying Magazine ?
« on: January 06, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
Several yrs. ago I was greatly impressed by a cover issue article on this Gr. Britian guy, drawing these 150#+ ELB's.  I think there was a pic of him on the cover-- I believe he was a black smith-- It may have been an issue of Primitive Archer.- Not sure.  Anyway, I was greatly impressed by the photo of him pulling one of these bows,and need it for a project Iam working on.  Anybody remember, or have an idea how I  :coffee:   can identify the Mag. and the issue, and/or obtain one.  Thanks.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help,please, identifying Magazine ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 12:01:00 AM »
I believe Primitave Archer site shows pictures of their covers and they(back issues) are available.
Sorry, I don't remember.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
Primitive Archer website has a War Bow thread that may have a pic or 2 you can use.
   Pip Bickerstaffe's book, "The Heritage of the Longbow" has a pic of Mark Stretton shooting a 160# war bow on the front cover and the author pulling a 100# war bow on the back cover. I believe the pic you are talking about is of Mark Stretton.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
You are right it is Mark Stretton- and Iam now fairly sure it was Primitive Archer.  I went to the site and viewed all the covers, except those of Volume 2- which they are out of.  Iam guessing it was one of those Vol. 2 issues.  Any one got one, or could help me out by making a copy of the photo?  Need not be in color.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
I'll look through my back issues and see if I can locate it. Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Chuck, I've looked through my back issues(I have them all) of Primitive Archer Magazines and the only pic I can find is in an article called "The Old English WarBow (partIII), by Gene Langston. I believe it is Mark but there is no caption. The pic is on pg. 51, Vol 10, issue 1, Spring 2002. The cover has a drawing of the battle of Agincourt.
     Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
Cant help with the magazin, but it sounds like Mark Stretton to me also. Here is a pic of him

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Pat I appreciate your  dilegent search thru primitive archer issues, So now I know it must have been Traditional Bowhunter. I'll check there, but if nothing comes up, I think I can use the photo you provided Falk w/ some modifications-- again thanks guys.  What Iam wanting to do is Make an approx. life size silhoutte out of 1/4" ply. to mount at the Gabled end of the Wood shop Iam putting together here at home. It was orignally a room planned to be a Mother in Law room. " She was dangerously ill, but now is dangerously well again."  M.Twain

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©