3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiver Census  (Read 747 times)

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiver Census
« on: January 07, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I am at a cross roads as what to do about my quiver situation.  I am currently shooting a Black Widow PMA  with out inserts or a quiver attached to the bow.  I am thinking about sending it in to have inserts put in the riser so I can attach a Thunderhorn or Selway quiver.  Should I do this or should I go with the models that use the limb bolts for connection?  If I go with the limb bolt connection models does that affect the performance of the bow?  Should I even have a quiver attached to my bow when I hunt mostly out of treestands for whitetails anyway?  Any thoughts and shared experience would be greatly appreciated.
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quiver Census
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
I like the Skookum Quivers from Alaska Bowhunting Supply....They mount with a simple ziptie.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
I have a GN limbbolt mounted quiver on my LB, and after trying a few differnt bow quivers, I like it the best.
Now if I could find a back/side quiver that I liked for all my back up ammo...  :D
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
I like my Kanati strap-on. No, the limb bolt models won't affect the performance of your bow. I like having a quiver attached to my bow for hunting anything, whether I'm in a tree or not. I would definitely look into the strap-on or quick detach models before I decided to send the bow off to get inserts installed. But it's all about what suits you the most.   :archer:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
On another note, every time I have put a quiver on my bow, I end up having to take a week to "adjust" my shooting, I hit high left with a quiver.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
Just my opinion but you asked for it so I don't like a quiver on a bow when hunting unless you do something to camo those feathers.  I feel it is like waving a big brite colored flag at any animal that comes in.  I was hunting on a new place with a buddy and we split up and I got somehow walked in a giant circle and noticed my friends florescent green quiver from 150 yards in the woods and imediatly realized what I had done.  I hang my quiver on the back of my tree.  This is not perfect since if you need a follow up shot it is tough but I don't usually get follow up shots any way.  I do think the mass weight on the bow makes me shoot better when I have shot with one on though.  What ever.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
As far as the bright colored fletching goes, I believe that deer will see it, or at least be alarmed by it, only if it moves. I know that, when wearing blaze orange while I'm bowhunting during gun season, I have had many deer look right at me and not even see me. I got my first traditional deer kill with a recurve during black powder season at 18 yards while I was wearing an orange vest and hat. I was only 10 feet up a tree.

Whatever the case, I do make sure that I practice my shooting with the same setup as I use for hunting, so I keep a quiver on my bow at all times.   :)
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
I have 5 Widows and most have the inserts,the others I wish they did.I also use the GN BW quivers.They are very well made.I think the bowquiver is the only way to go.Wherever the bow is,so are the arrows.Walkin thru thick stuff you can slip thru w/bow&quiver,and if you need to take a shot less movement to pull one from the bow then from your side or back.I also like the added stabability it gives the bow.Again my opinion.
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
You gotta move your bow in position on a deer or turkey when it comes in that is when your 6 arrow flag is going to get you one day in a tree stand.  I know I know a lot of guys kill all kinds of stuff with quivers on and even orange but you have to think of all the deer that you spotted when you saw that little bit of white on a deers ear flicker. We all want to be the best we can be and that means the little details

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 05:38:00 AM »
Thunderhorn Boas, fast and easy. As for the feathers I know deer will see them. I got picked off 25' up by a big doe this past season. I use a fletch cover now no more problems.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
I've pretty much given up on bow mounted quivers.  Been using a GFA Quiver for the last couple years and like it far better than any bow quiver.

I shoot several different bows depending on conditions so with the GFA I don't have to mess around with multiple quivers or switching a quiver between bows...

On the rare occasions when I use a bow quiver, I opt for a Boa...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
I gave up on bow mounted quivers too. I use Cat Quiver Mini and it keeps the feathers dry.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
My favorite combo for my MA was the stick on solo quiver Black Widow sells.  Stick a big Magnus I in the solo and carry the others in a Selway hip quiver and hang the quiver in the tree once you're up.  That only works with 2 blades though.

I would get the side mounts installed if you're set on the bow quiver.  Just seems to balance better on that bow.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Catquiver on the back, and the Ace-In-The-Hole stick on for an extra arrow. In thick stuff a bolt on quiver gets hung up on everything.
…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Arrowmaster by Safari Tuff - light, fits to the back well, arrows don't rattle and are protected from the elements. Great for stalking into the stand, and easy to hang in the tree...

Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Any bow quiver will affect the tuning of your bow, but it may not show up with big fletching... I personally believe ya should tune and hunt either with it on or off.. if ya deciede to ground hunt it will be attached and may affect ya some.. that said the lighter quivers ie: great northern quivers vs a widow 5/7 which is a heavier/stiffer one will affect it less.. usually a bow quiver makes your bow need a lighter spined arrow.
    anyway I have a psa that has inserts but rarely use them as I mainly use a cat quiver. I just dont like the added weight/bulk of a bow quiver. that plus when ya move your bow ya are moving a lot of mass in the way of fletching etc to catch the eye of your intended quarry..and your fletching is open to the elements...
 just my 2 cents..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Just bought a Jack Bowers side stalker that I'm going to try, I also use a Kwikee Mounted to the bow. Comes off easy when I reach my spot.   I have said it before, If a Kwikee is good enough for Barry Wensel its good enough for me!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
I still like my old Bear clamp on bow quiver that I use on my Browning Explorer II.  It holds 8 arrows - I carry 5 broadheads in the front and 2 stump arrows and a flu flu in the back.  Usually plenty of Grouse and bunnies to play with when I am hiking around the woods getting to where the whitetail stand or elk wallow is.

When I take the longbow, I have a canvas back quiver that my wife made that I can use on back or hip.  I tried a small bow quiver on the longbow but it affected shots too much.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Keep these coming as I am "once again" looking for a better quiver too.  

What I have learned:

I like the convenience of bow quiver but like the feel of the bow better without the quiver on it.

I like quivers that have 2 holder clips and no foam (like the bohning bowquivers) yet these are bowquivers and mainly for compound bows.

I would like the quiver to protect my fletching yet I don't want just a quiver.  What I mean is I carry enough stuff pack, bow, treestand,etc. and I don't want a seperate standalone quiver.

I know folks mentioned some quivers that do some of these things, but I haven't found one that does it all though maybe one of the catquivers.?

Anyway watching this thread with interest.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©