3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wow - Bear recurves  (Read 669 times)

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow - Bear recurves
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
I have a few older Bear recurves as I like to play around with the older bows. They were nice little bows and were a cheap passion.

But I've noticed prices of the late 50 and earlier 60 kodiaks on **** lately and wow!

What is going on out there? I've been priced out of the hobby in the last few months.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wow - Bear recurves
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:26:00 AM »
I don't go on that site often but have noticed a huge jump in prices, even for 2nd rate bows that shouldn't fetch more than $40-50 are going for $80 or more. Add the rediculous price gouge for shipping and you could pay over $100 for a piece of junk bow.  

I think people get caught up in trying to win the bid and are overpaying for stuff, which drives the price up for everything else because sellers think it's in high demand. A vicious circle. Vintage Bears are nice, but I think only a handfull of models are worth what I have seen some lesser models in rough shape go for.

.......I like it here better.   ;)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
Where's Here??

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
Ummmmmmm......here on this site bro.  :biglaugh:

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
I've noticed a drastic increase as well.  Bows I purchased a couple years ago are now doubled in price.  Dunno?
Best regards in traditional,
Marion

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
That "site" is an auction site, so it is still the buyer who determines the price.  I bought two bows yesterday and don't have $150.00 in the two of them; one was a Bear Kodiak Special, and the other a very nice Shakespeare RH-200--a bow that will rival just about any one piece recurve, even now.

If you go over there and look at some of the "Buy It Now" prices, yes....they are inflated, but they don't sell at those prices. You have to have some common sense and know what you are buying.  

If you look at bows that have already sold, you will find the prices aren't all that bad, except for the 59' Kodiaks and early takedown models.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
With a modern custom bow hovering around $1k it seems like a bargain to me to pick up an old Bear recurve for a hundred including shipping. From the mid 50's to the early 70's Bear made some fine shooting bows that rival much of what is made today. These are especially fine bows for beginners as they are many in the 45# range.

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Boys, the circle of old bows is diminished every day. The fewer there are the more they will cost.. Doesn't matter if it's old cars, guitars,you name it.If every American bought a Kodiak in '59, there would be so many you couldn't give 'em away. Just the way it is.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
George, just curious, does that $150 include shipping?
I admit that some of the Grayling Bears are worth what people are buying them for.
 Some common models like 70's Grizzly's in the 45# range, Kodiak Mags, stuff like that, shouldn't be more that $125 shipped in good shape. Maybe I'm blind to the value of things.
 I don't understand people charging $25-30 for shipping. Is that crazy?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
To ship a one pc. recurve priority insured by the USPS across country will most likely cost you over $20.  A fellow from NY send me a 60" Kodiak, and the total for shipping was over $37.  Good for me our deal was TYD.

...but a '65 Kodiak selling for over $800 is crazy.
Lon Scott

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
I agree with all that has been said so far. I think folks get caught up in "got to try it, he likes it" craz sometimes. Then there are those who believe in the old saying "he who dies with the most toys wins". Me, I fall somewhere in between.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
Arwin, it depends on how you package some things.
A balloon charge can raise the price quickly. I consider any bow shipped for under $25.00 to be fair, since most I ship can range from $15.00 to $25.00.   I sent one out last week that cost $26.78 from Pa. to Kansas.    Lots of times the bows with high shipping don't bring the same price they would if the shipping were lower, so you have to know what you want to pay as a total.

The price I gave was without shipping; however, shipping for the Shakespeare was a flat $15.00, for the Kodiak Special, which included a box of arrows, it was $19.85.  So I'm still under $180.00 for both bows.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
We will see prices start to fall off sharply in the coming weeks. There has been a seasonal ajustment every year. The hard collector bows-A handles and Grumleys will maintain their value-the rest will soften.

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Hope you're right Bjorn.  I've been wanting to pick up another one, or three.
Marion

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Hi Arwin,
Its just you seem to be mad about what the bows on the big E are going for (especially Bears)
we all have different idea's what old bows are worth,the big E is just the largest market I know of, it kind of dictates what the unwashed masses "think" there bow is worth.

I was just wondering if the pow wow forum was that different from the collecting/history forum?
friends talking about the bows they love to hunt and shoot??
Some looking for deals, others pay whatever is necessary.

Hope you find the deal your looking for

Love your avatar
   Kurt

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
I'm always looking for a good deal, but to find some of those bows around my neck of the woods would be next to impossible. I love those old Bears and I'm willing to pay a fair price for the ones I want and can afford, most of the prices of late haven't been bad.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by kurtbel5:
Hi Arwin,
Its just you seem to be mad about what the bows on the big E are going for (especially Bears)
we all have different idea's what old bows are worth,the big E is just the largest market I know of, it kind of dictates what the unwashed masses "think" there bow is worth.

I was just wondering if the pow wow forum was that different from the collecting/history forum?
friends talking about the bows they love to hunt and shoot??
Some looking for deals, others pay whatever is necessary.

Hope you find the deal your looking for

Love your avatar
   Kurt
Thanks for the compliment!! They are some of my favorite hunting buddies!!
 Never mad bro, just confused.  ;)  Life is too short to let Flea-Bay get me down.  I guess that prices are justified to whoever is doing the bidding, but some bows seem to be going for way more than what I would pay. I know if I buy from a well known member here, I'm not going to get a bow that I'll be unhappy with.   :D

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
So if the auction site is high, why is it most bows listed on the classifieds are auction prices + 10-15%
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
Hmmm..... I thought most of the bows in here were cheaper and in better shape than the auction site. I know I see more sellers who are bow hunters or have knowledge of bows, but anyone can pick up our lingo with terms like "no twist or stress".

I have noticed most bids start out at $70 by the seller and add the $20+ for shipping. Kinda high out of the gate, I could find one in here for the same amount and not have to battle bid for it.  Then you see the "Buy it Now" prices set at $199 + shipping for a Grizzly in rough shape made in early 70's. I know those bows aren't worth that. Maybe a 62'-68' Grizz.  BTW I send all of my bows  USPS Priority confirmed and insured and I have never paid more than $20. Most of those bow packages were over 64 inches.

We can banter all night about the pro's and con's. If people want to dig out the cash for something I feel is over priced, then have at it. It's not my money, I just share a similar opinion with the original post. I have seen more than my share of disappointed buyers who paid what they thought was a fair price,  an ended up with a bow that the seller really knew nothing about.

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
There's a "Greenie" K Model Hunter going off in about an hour and a half.  It's already at $227.50!
Marion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©