3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "D" style longbows...  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
"D" style longbows...
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Maybe looking at a "D" style longbow this summer or fall.

Looking for ideas; Dwyer, Kota, Great Northern, Northern Mist...

I don't have set price I'm trying to stay under but would like something in the $450-$650 dollar range.  I want it to have a locator grip though; I guess that is my only requirement.

I'd like to say around 62" in length also...will that be okay or should I extend it to 64", I draw to 29".

Please post pictures of what you have and what your experiences with them have been.

Thanks,

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "D" style longbows...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Hey there Josh,
                If you are looking for a true "D" style look no further than Howard Hill archery. Give Craig a call and have a chat with him about what you want. He is a great guy to talk to and will take the time to really get a feel for what you want. The prices are right in the neighborhood of what you want as well. As far as length of the bow, I personally would go longer, to me the longer they are the smoother and more forgiving they are, a lesser angle of the string and less limb deflection, equals a more forgiving bow...and oh so quiet. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.
                              -Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
dwyers are great bows. i have shot a couple.
i like long "longbows" i draw 28 and everyone recommends me 64 or 66. i always stick with 66".
just my 2 cents

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
I would advise shooting at least one of whatever you choose.I just don't buy bows any more I haven't tried.I've sold too many that way.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Great advise E. Texas HillBilly gave you. I love D style longbows. I also prefer longer D style bows of 66 to 68 inches. I shoot a Liberty English. I also like Northern Mist and Hills. There are several good D style bows being made.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
the horne taditionalist is slightly reflexed/deflexed when untrung, but is a d shape when strung, and, imo, the horne bows are some of the best out there.  the traditionalist is not a "true" d bow like the HH's, but is has the traditional shape.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
The bows the others have mentioned are all good, but take a look at a Mahaska also. I just got one recently and have shot another, I really like them.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Man Josh there are alot of bows that fall into that catagory. First I would decide if I wanted a true D shaped Hill style bow, or a mild r/d that approximates the D shape. If you like the Hill style then either Hill, Northern Mist, Great Northern, Belcher, Toelke, and St. Charles all make excellent bows in your price range. For mild r/d, Mohawk, Northern Mist, Liberty, Yellowstone, and Great Northern are the ones I have experience with and recommend. For Hill style your probably going to be happier with at least a 68" bow and 64-66" with a mild r/d but talk with your bowyer of choice and listen to thier recommendations. If your the least bit handshock sensitive but like the Hill bows best then go with a Northern Mist Shelton, Sunset Hill, or David Miller string follow bow as they have virtually no handshock at all especially with FF strings. As you can see this is going to be a hard decision - better go shoot some bows to see what you like!

3 Hills and a Pete George.

Northern Mist Classic

Miller Old Tom string follow.

To name a few  :)
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
for a true 'd' shape look no further than a Hill and go longer in length...66". For mild r/d the Liberty Contender and the Mohawk are the best bang for the buck out there and both shoot like a dream. Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
Does a "D" bow mean that it has no r/d and is straight when unstrung?
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline E. Texas HillBilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
Bakes 168,
             For the most part yes, it is straight when unstrung. My Hill is about 3/4" past straight, on the limbs when unstrung.
                Hillbilly
The quiet, still watcher sees the most. -Paps

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Spanky pretty much sums it up.  Lots of experience with these style bows and good advice.

Bakes:  Pretty much.  It's actually the strung profile that yields the D shape, but straight and/or slightly setback limb bows usually form the "more perfect" D.  However, bows with a little r/d also form a D, just not as pronounced as the former.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »
Thought so. I have a Bear Montana that has some r/d but it forms a pretty good "D" when strung.
With that said, I would highly reccomend a Bear Montana Longbow. They are not too expensive, very tough and dependable, and VERY quiet. Although they do not have a locator grip like you want. It's a straight broom handle grip with an ever so slight dip, not like the Hill's pictured above. I shoot a 55#er and it's pretty quick. For the price you can't beat it....JMHO   :archer:  

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
John McDonald Big RIver Bows builds an awful nice Hill Style bow. The one I currently own has the classic deep core, narrow limb design. It features four laminations of bamboo under clear glass. John builds his to take FF strings and they are very fast and have no handshock. I am selling off all my recurves and plan to buy every used Big River I come across.

One with a locator grip:

One with a straight grip:

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
bakes, ive heard nothing but good about the montana, and at 280-320$, they are a steal.  next bow i get the montana will be on the list.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
If you do not mind a mild r/d unstrung that has a D shape when strung look into the Mohawk.  It fits your price range too with $ left over.

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
All of those mentioned aboove are great bows - and a fair price for the look of them.

Are you wanting the modern glass backed materials?

Have you considered and all wood or wood laminated bow of a more primitive style?

They may not have the full cast that a bow with a back and belly of glass, but they do work well and can be a lot less expensive.  If so send me a PM
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
I recently had Dan Toelke make me a 64" "D" bow of Texas Ebony/Myrtlewood and I could not be more satisfied. On top of being beautiful it is dead quiet and though Dan told me I might feel a tiny bit of hand shock I cannot detect any. The bow is 57 lbs.@ 29 1/2" and I am shooting 655 gr. Douglas Fir arrows with "cat whiskers" and B-50 strings. It shoots superbly and Dan's delivery time is weeks and I am sure he can provide you a "loaner" if desired. Contact him at  www.montanabows.com

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Oliver, you goin to K'zoo? There will some dandy LB's there to try. N.Mist, Dwyer, Kohanna, Fox, Great Northern, Robertson and some others.

My favorites are N.Mist, Robertson and Dwyer.

Eric

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies...I'm looking at all options.  I currently do not know if I want a true Hill style or a mildly reflex/deflex bow that is still a D shape when strung.  If I go with a Hill style I’ll try a longer 66” or so maybe even a 68”.

I’m going to the Traditional show in Kzoo here in a couple of weeks; I’m taking Friday off and will make it back down on Saturday for a while also.  I had a lot of fun last year but could only spend time there on Friday, this year I will also be going on Saturday for a while.  I plan on trying several again…this time I have some money saved up.  I’ve shot Great Northerns and Northern Mists and looked a Dwyer’s on several occasions, I love traditional shoots.

I don’t know when I’m going to make my final decision…I’m keeping an eye on the classified section; maybe one will catch my eye.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©