3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: recurve vs longbow speed  (Read 455 times)

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
recurve vs longbow speed
« on: January 08, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
Ok, I'm looking at getting a new bow, Whisperstik recurve!
Does a recurve have better performance than a longbow, for example will a 50# recurve perform like a 53# longbow?

I have shot everything from 47#'s to 70#. I can shoot them all but I really enjoy shooting the lighter weights. I'm just trying to close in on MY perfect weight. Basically, best performance from the lightest most fun to shoot bow.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline mdwatts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: recurve vs longbow speed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Performance can be opinionated, but you will definitely experience more speed, pound for pound, out of a recurve.
Best regards in traditional,
Marion

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Whispersticks really rip an arrow. I own one and have owned another. They outperform many popular brands, per chrono. So what?? Agreed, but they are quiet and easy to shoot for a curve. The one I have right now is by far the most beautiful bow I have owned, and ranks with any other I have seen. Cocobolo riser with bacote limbs and osage core. Super smooth to shoot and draw. My current bow is 46#. I cannot draw heavy bows well, but shot JD's heavier 56" bow and it is very smooth. This is the only recurve I own, all others are longbows. I just cannot sell it. Just get the one in the weight you feel you shoot best and the performance is great!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
In general yes, but the very fastest traditional bows being crafted are longbows.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
There are longbows that are shooting the same speeds or better than the best recurves. Today the blanket statement of Recurves are faster is not true.
Check out the reviews availavble on line and see what the various bows are doing. I have a few reviews available at  www.peteward.com  and Blacky has reviews at his site,
 http://www.bowreports.com/longb-select.htm

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
IMO, it's all about what you shoot well! The fastest I've shot is a longbow, but I seem to shoot a recurve a little better. I shoot a lighter weight bow better, but IMO it's what you can draw and hold comfortably. Lighter is better for me when it comes to accuracy!

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
You won't have to worry about speed with a whisperstick, they are quiet to boot.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
I shoot a 50# recurve and a 50# longbow. Over 50# my accuracy and enjoyment go down. So I stay at 50#. I think if you get a modern recurve, like a Quinn or a Morrison you might get more speed pound for pound. But if you shoot an old recurve against a modern longbow, like a Shrew or a Whisperstick, the modern longbow will be faster. Somehow, I can shoot faster and more accurately with a longbow and I can't tell you why. And the longer the better.

sam

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:56:00 AM »
I shoot Harrison's longbows and they are as fast as my recurve.  A modern r/d longbow made w/bamboo and graphite plus a protective layer of glass will shoot with the recurves.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
A few years back, a buddy and I did a side by side comparison between a well known company's recurve and r/d longbow.  We took turns shooting each bow thru the chrono multiple times and in the end, the recurve averaged not quite 3 fps faster than the longbow shooting the same gr/# of arrow weight.  Now, those numbers can vary depending on the bow design.  I'd expect the spread to be much larger if the longbow was a straight limbed design or had a milder reflex.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©