3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the size of your groups  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the size of your groups
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
I have never seen a baseball group average from a barebow stickbow shooter at 20 yards.  Thats a 3 to 4 inch group.  Half the compound guys I no can't do that every time.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
I have a freind that use to live right on the state line, several times while shooting with him there I could not keep my 5 shot group all in the same state! With that being said on most days I can keep then around 4-5 inches at 20 yards.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Let's see.....a 3-4 inch group average from 20 yds......

A ping pong ball is 1 & 1/2 inches in dia, a baseball is 2 & 7/8's inches in dia, and a softball is 4.5 inches in dia.

I guess if you shoot a ping pong ball sized group on Monday, then a softball sized group on Wednesday, then a baseball sized group on Friday, you would have averaged a baseball sized group.

The group I posted on the 1st page of this thread measured 2 inches....from 25 yds.  No, I can't do that every time...but on average....from 20 yds....I bet there's more guys capable of that than you think.

And with a compound, with sights....sheeeeeit.  Ray Charles could do that with a compound.
Otto

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
I like to pin a business card or a playing card to my target. One shot at a time, retrieve the arrow and repeat. Finish on a good hit. Trains my brain to aim small, miss small and pick a spot.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
I don't need to see Ray Charles do it just the normal hunter to shoot 2 300 rounds in a row(even with sights and a release).  I wasn't trying to knock anyone just like seeing honest answers.

Offline NewtoTrad2008

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
I was having issues at 20 yards shooting at just the target, my son (5), suggested we shoot a picture of an animal. I printed off a picture of a grouse, and low and behold my groups are getting tighter. He's so smart, he knew I needed something to concentrate on! Now I am shooting about 5" @ 20 with the ocassional drifter.
Kanati 56" 55#@26" missing :-(
Mohawk 64" 60#@28"
Ben Pearson KM Special 50#@28"
Matt

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
I shoot 3 arrow groups. 6" @ 20 yards consistantly  :archer:
Steve.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Grrr... I was struggling to shoot a pie plate group at 17 yesterday and was pretty mad. I watched on google vids some korean guy win a major tournament and he said to the camera "My father always says "Keep your bow hand up and your bow shoulder down."

It really worked for me today. I tightened right back up.

I just wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. I've never met another traditional archer much less shot with one so I never knew how my shooting compared to anyone. I'm glad to see I'm alright. I honestly thought folks were ripping stuff at 30 yds.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline markfromark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
First of all, I'm not being critical of ANYONE here!  I'm just stating my personal feelings about my own shooting.  I haven't measured my groups, but at 15-17 yards I expect to be able to put every arrow within 2-3 inches of where I'm looking.

I also agree with batman, that after I'm confident I am tuned (bow/form) then I'm a lot more interested in where my first arrow goes than I am the group I shoot.  I enjoy shooting and shoot a lot of arrows, but I am a lot more focused and intense when I shoot the first arrow of the day.

Now if I could just get all this to equate to meat in the freezer, I'd be doing good...   :)
Blood bought - twice born - heaven bound!

Offline buckrunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
Shoot a Bob Lee take down recurve @ 55lbs off the shelf, My avg. 300 round is in the 230's with a high of 251.

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
mark we expect to see you in the olympics then. them danged koreans are making us look like fools.

So exactly how many knocks do you break a day with those 2 inch groups at 15 yds?

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
Hey, here's a couple questions about this:
If Mark's goal is to put every arrow within 2 or 3 inches of where he's looking, could he actually have groups as big as 4 to 6 inches and be within his goal?
Does it mean those folks shooting 2" groups are putting every arrow within about 1 inch of where they're looking?
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline Mark Fedrizzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
.5  too .75---oopss that is my 22-250 at 100
Keep Em' In The Kill Zone

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
uhh...I'd rather not go there just yet.  :(  

Still trying to get back my instinctive eye I lost about 14 years ago.  :(
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
thats a good question tox. I didn't think of it like that.

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
40 yards - shrew longbow

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Based on my first question, and the premise that you try to take your hunting shots at less than 20 yards, then hitting a paper plate every time at 20 yards would really put you "in the kill zone" for most medium and large game. Hitting a softball size target at 20 yards would put you there on most smaller game.
One more question on group size:  You fellas who are consistantly scoring 250 and higher on the NFAA indoor "300" blue-face targets.  Are you scoring that in indoor match competition or in your back yard? (there's a BIG difference!)
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Toxophilite: Great Quote
My one shot groups are outstanding.

My groups vary from 3" to couldn't hit a bull in the $$$ or the broad side of a barn.  Thats from any distance..But I like to shoot anyway

But like  Toxophilite:  I'm pleased with my one shot groups most of the time

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Sorry, but very few guys and I mean very few can shoot a 3" group at 20 yards every time. I have been at shoots with a couple hundred guys ther and if 1 or 2 could do that consistently that would be a lot. I am not saying there are not quite a few out there, but we are talking out of thousands of shooters. Sorry but don't see it!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
I agree Shawn.

You and I and most everyone else can do it SOME times,but it is the exception rather than the rule.

I've been to shoots with 500-600 registered shooters and I haven't seen it yet.

Also,everyone is the king of their own back yard.

Not trying to knock anyone or their posted outstanding groups, but we don't want to discourage the new folks too much.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©