3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Native american bow poundage?  (Read 736 times)

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Native american bow poundage?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
Lots of good info on our native american brothers and there bows , keep up the good work !

Mike
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
I was quite surprised that in the Smithsonian's  Museum of American Indians, in Washington, DC. that there was a larger display of guns used against Native Americans than there were bows built by Native Americans. It was almost like it was taboo to even ask about bows.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
As for early native draw weights,there were various draw weights,as there are today.Native people,were in fact people just the same.Some prefered heavier weights and some lighter.No different than anybody else.It has been my observation,that the arrow was of greater importance to early native people,for increased penetration.Great pains were taken to manufacture the perfect arrow,for the task at hand.Recently,Billy Berger,did an experimentand published his findings,in PA magazine.He found,what early native people had known for a long time.With proper arrows,higher draw weights were not necessary for proper penetration,in hunting larger game.Unfortunately,current game laws,often prevent us from useing this wisdom.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Billy's article and experimentation with "bird" points was quite interesting. Most of what we consider as primitive arrowheads today were probably knife blades or atlatl points. It makes since to use small heads for the penetration factor and they will take any animal if the shot placement is right.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Good stuff has weaved it's way around my original question. Those of you worried about "hijacking" my thread-no worries, it filled in the cracks and was very informative in the process.
Thanks all.

Dan
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Bradd,

Is it your opinion that the book, American Indian Archery by Reginald and Gladys Laubin, is mostly wrong? I always thought it was an informative book.

Barney

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers by Otis Tuston Mason.  Written in the 19th century, a lot of good info, most is on the western and north western areas of North America.  Bill

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Bradd, the book is on the google book search. I'd be interested in your opinion.

Thanks, Barney

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
I saw a whole outfit from the 1860s/1870s for sale in Jackson, WY in a museum like antique shop specializing in Indian artifacts.  Bow, arrows, quiver, bowcase.  A cool $275,000 would take it home.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©