3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A&H ACS CX***WOW  (Read 831 times)

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A&H ACS CX***WOW
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:28:00 AM »
Just spent an hour at the indoor range with my "new to me" A&H ACS CX. 64" 49@30. I've been a recurve shooter that longs to find a longbow that I can shoot as good as my curves. Up until now I haven't found that bow.

Had a Black Widow LAG that was super quiet but just didn't shoot it well, sold it.

Had a Black Widow PLV that I shot well but had to put a pound of cat whiskers on the string to get it quiet, sold it.

Just picked up a used A&H ACS CX and all I can say is WOW! Played around with it in the basement setting it up, it felt good but shooting 12 yards doesn't tell you much. Went to the club and fired some arrows at 20 and 30 yards and after the first 20 arrows it felt like an old friend. Super fast and the grip is sweet. Quiet, fast, light and stable. I think the more time I spend with this bow the more I'll like it. There's just something about a shooter longbow and I think I finally have one.

And to top it off it's pretty darn pretty!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A&H ACS CX***WOW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
They sure do make a quality bow. Glad you found the one for you   :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:14:00 AM »
Yep my fav too.............

Love the tiny riser and the sleek limbs.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
You just cannot go better than ACS-CX! All the attributes I was looking for in a bow period!
The most user friendly bow I've ever had.

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Yep.  They are sure hard on nocks though.  I had to put beaver silencers on mine because my wife said that the "spider legs" were ticklin' her nose when she rolled over in bed.    :biglaugh:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
I bought one about a year ago and it shoots very quiet.  The quality is obvious.  It's 49# at 28" and I draw right under 30".  I just can't seem to get the proper arrow set up for it.  It flat just won't group like my other bows and I KNOW it's not the bow.  Any suggestions?  I really appreciate it because it seems a waste to see such a nice bow just sit on the rack.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Paul, sent you a pm.  I think we can get you and your bow and your arrows to hum the same tune.

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Looks like Mr. Havard and I were sending at the same time.
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
Looks like you're getting plenty of help and if that doesn't do it give me a jingle and maybe I can help...  Anytime.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
I'll offer my experience with you. First of all I will say this. I am never satisfied with a bow and usually turn them around on the classifiedes within a couple months.  I shoot recurve bows somewhat better than longbows but really have a thing for longbows, so I keep searching for one I like and likes me...   The ACS is a bit of a mystery. But once you solve the arrow tuneing part of it, it becomes unbeliveable!!!!!

With that, let me offer you and other readers and future ACS owners this advice...

Build out the side plate a bit. It is cut way past center... So much so that when I get an arrow to spine correctly from it, I still hit way to the right...  So much so that I tried arrows that are way over spined and it still spits them to the right every time... So I build out the side plate quite a bit, bare shaft, fletch one up, broadhead tune, and then even paper tune with a bare shaft, and fletched shaft with field tip.  When all is coming out consistantly I start to shoot. I may make a slight adjustment in nock point, but usually only minor....

The first time I tried the ACS CX, I was dissapointed. I couldn't hit anything... (I'll back up a bit and say I couldn't spine an arrow either.  I shoot 3 fingers under so this may not apply to split finger shooters...) I put a second nock under the arrow and things cleared up dramatically. Like someone turned on a light switch for me!!!!! Started hitting really good...

Still had a problem. The string was hitting my arm something terrible. Actually left lacerations. NOt a bruise, lacerations!!! (see pic below)

Here is what solved the problem...  NOw again my shooting style is 3 under and I hold my bow verticle, no cant at all....  I got the 16 riser and had Dan and John put a low wrist grip on it for me. I still keep 2 nock points on the bow, but make them out of  serving string.  Now this bow is set up for me.....  It is the finest shooting bow I've ever had. Seriously. It shoots...  Nice thing is I like the way it looks, the way it shoots and the way it feels...   My pals have all shot it and  to a person everyone of them say the same thing after the first shot, "Man, that is quiet", after the second shot, "Bro. this is the quietest bow I've ever shot!"   It literally has ZERO hand shock and is quiet. I know, I've had every longbow and recurve you can think of.. I've owned and shot them all and let me tell you again. This bow is quieter than any I've ever been blessed to shoot..  

So that is my take on the ACS. Solve the mystery and you'll have one of the finest bows produced.

Blessings,
Steve

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Yellow Dog, enjoy your A&H.. It is one of the finest bows available, IMO.  And your's sure is pretty too !

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Keep your arm out of the way period.

I watched Fred Aspbells video and he talks about the stance and quartering toward the target more (not classic style I guess). in this postion you create space between your hand and shoulder and the string has a path to the bow not your arm.

I guess I was lucky when I started when I was 8 cause I always shot this way instinctively and never new there was another way until I saw some actually hit there arm....not pretty.

Jer Bear

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Armguard?  :banghead:

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Hold your bow in your left hand with the wrist straight, that is a straight line from the elbow to the end of your index finger (if it was pointing at something). And as Orion said "Wear an armguard". I hope that was explained right. Sometimes I'm a little nomenclaturally (probably not even a word) challenged. Gary

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
P.S. I love my ACS CX. Gary

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help everyone.  I'm determined to "solve the mystery" and get this bow tuned correctly.  The thing just looks too good, draws too good and shoots too quiet to give up on.  Pat, thanks for the offer.  I'll take you up on it!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
I just my new ACS yesterday. Haven't taken time to take any pics---I've been having too much fun shooting it! Tuning was a breeze, but I may end up building out the shelf a bit later (after I spend a bit more time with it).

This bow is absolutely one of the nicest I have ever shot, and I've owned pretty much all the big name bows. I've been more of a recurve shooter for the past several years, but I am in love with this longbow!!

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
What brace height are you finding that works best?
John

Offline Ol Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
I have found 7 1/4 inch brace to be the best on mine...
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
7 1/4 to 7 1/2 works best for me too.
Blessings,
Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©