3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Respectable ?  (Read 439 times)

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
Respectable ?
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
I was just wondering what kind of speed you would consider respectable out of a 52# Kodiak Mag using 545 grain carbon arrows? I will probably be using this to hunt white tails. I'm not hung up on speed I'm just wondering what would be a good average speed for this combo to hunt with.    Thanks John

ps I will be using either a 2 blade or a Woodsman.

Offline yamapup

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Respectable ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Your draw length is important!

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Sorry about that. I really screwed up. First of all the bows pulls 42# at my draw of 27"

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
You lose ten pounds from one inch?  That seems a little extreme.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline allanburden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
I shoot a K-mag that's 48# @ 28" and I draw to 29".  It' s not a screamer, but it shoots well.  It's also very quiet.  I am with bear heart also, loosing 10# with one inch in draw length is a bit extreme.
"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." Ernest Hemingway

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
I'm sorry guys but that was a typo. I meant to put 42# and mistyped and put 52#. It was just a typo. See my second post where I put "I screwed up the bow pulls 42# at my 27 inch draw"

All I'm wondering is what kind of speed should I expect with a 42# Kodiak Mag pulling 27" and shooting a 545 grain carbon arrow. I'm shooting about 155 fps. Is that about average, or below average?   Thanks John

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
I would say that sounds about right, for deer size game I would say your good to go!!! Just need good sharp broadheads.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
your just fine,, I harvested a doe with a 45#er with about the same weight arrow as you,,Take care,,JB
TGMM

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
The carbon arrows with modern tips should increase the speed over wood arrows with glue on 125 gr.  Energy still = mass x velocity squared

What is the bow weight requirement in your state?

Some states are 45# and some are 40# that I know of.  Of course that was figured at an AMO of 28" and they do not often consider the true cast - and speed will vary.

I think some states actually have requirments for arrow speed and arrow weight.

Of course you can get a Whitetail with what you have if you are a good hunter.

I am just amused at what is written in state F&G regs that often seem the work of Bureaucrats that do not bowhunt!!!
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
You are preachin to the choir.  Here in Tex. they just reset the required draw weight on bows for state game (deer, turkey and javalina) to 0#s.  You read right.  We no longer have a minimun draw weight in this state.  It's crazy.  Was 35#s until the mid 50's and then changed to 40#s.  Sorry I got off the edge of the question but just had to vent.  The take down recurve I build and am currently hunting with  is 52 #s @28 and I draw it to 50#s @ 27".  It grafts fairly consistant at 170 fps. using a 550 gr carbon.  Plenty fast for me.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Hey John, you aren't giving up on those pretty bows YOU make are you?

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
Ask your self this- How would I fare if some body put a broadhead in my chest, shot from a 42# bow?  You'd be toast, right?   :eek:

Offline john gerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
Leatherneck, as a matter of fact we are in the planning stage now to build a three piece take down.

I just like my Kodiak Mags and like to shoot them sometimes. This whole thread started out to just ask what kind of speed I should expect shooting the set up that I have. It seems like the thread got turned around to a "Is 42# enough to hunt deer" I don't know how it got turned around to that.

When we get the three piece bows done we will have to post some pictures.  Have a good day.  John

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
It's just like evry other campfire conversation.  We know where we started but who knows where we're goin.  :campfire:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
That is very fast for 42# bow with short limbs; if you get good flight be happy!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©