3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: EFOC and wind  (Read 287 times)

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
EFOC and wind
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Hi guys...In our french forum we have some questions about this dramatic     :knothead:    question: is an EFOC arrow less or more affected by the wind than a normal one arrow? and what are the wind consequences on EFOC arrows...I will be very please if the forum authorities such as OL or the good doc could share the results of their  researches...thanks in advance...

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: EFOC and wind
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
I believe the gist of their findings is that the EFOC arrow isn't blown off target as much as a standard arrow in a crosswind, but because most of the weight is forward, the rear or the arrow gets further out of alignment with the front, again in a stiff crosswind, such that the EFOC arrow isn't likely to enter the target as perpendicular as does a standard arrow.  That is, it will have more of a horizontal slant to it as it impacts the target, potentially reducing penetration.  Don't know if anyone has measured the amount of penetration that might be lost vis-a-vis a standard arrow.  This is assuming all other things are equal, i.e., arrow weight and diameter, fletch shape and size, etc.  Smaller shaft diameter and smaller fletch reduces wind drift for each type of arrow. I'm sure someone will correct this if it's wrong.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
you can use smaller fletch with EFOC, somewhat minimizing some of the crosswind problems.  I see a good area for some testing to be done.   ;)

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Newton
F = m * a

The constant force (F) of a given cross wind will have less affect on the EFOC, because it's mass (m) is "concentrated" at the (leading) front end. The (sideways) acceleration (a) of it's point will be less due to it's greater mass. The shaftment follows along.

Try asking in FITA circles about this. I assume they would be able to explain it in great detail.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
My head hurts...  :rolleyes:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
I hear ya' Jamie, LOL
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
i started a thread not long ago about the exact same thing. all you need to know. i'd give you a link but i don't know how?? maybe O.L remembers and can do it for me. onya, O'L.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
Clint, I have just discovered your thread - and have read to page two. I am glad to see, that I am essentially within OL's statements. Here is a link to  Clint\\'s thread  

I am sorry if I did hurt some eyes or brains with my above post - I thought this were the simple basics  :p  
If you want to change the velocity of any matter - you need to apply force. The more mass the more force is needed to give the same effect, i.e. the same acceleration.
The wind is our force and is blowing constantly - hitting both arrows alike. It will be able to push the lighter tip more out the of sighting-line then the heavier - to begin with.

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by ozy clint:
i started a thread not long ago about the exact same thing. all you need to know. i'd give you a link but i don't know how?? maybe O.L remembers and can do it for me. onya, O'L.
thanks !!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©