3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: steiner nighthunter 8x30 vs other high end 8x40  (Read 171 times)

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
steiner nighthunter 8x30 vs other high end 8x40
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
finally found someone who has a pair of steiner nighthunter 8x30. anyone got an idea of their low light performance vs a similar quality 8x40 roof prism bino?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: steiner nighthunter 8x30 vs other high end 8x40
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
Ozy
I have had one since they first came out.  Back then they were the best at that price in low light and great for glassing where an 8x30 was good.  No comparison to a Swarovski 8x42, but if you can't afford the Swarovski (like me) I think they are a great compromise.  I do like 'em better then the predator model since most game where I hunt are moving in the morning and late afternoon.  I guess that's why they are the night hunter model.  One downfall compared to other roof prisms, is that since they are auto focus, if it keys in on brush before the animal, the animal appears fuzzy.  With a regular roof prism that allows you to focus them, this won't happen.  Hope this helps.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: steiner nighthunter 8x30 vs other high end 8x40
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
i've never had any trouble with focusing at any range with the steiners, except closer than say 10m. it's one reason i love them. my eyes do all the focusing. just like if you look at a far object then suddenly look at your hand in front of your face. i find conventional focus systems really annoying because when looking around at different distances you are constantly refocusing and your eyes spend more time looking at unfocused images than with the steiner autofocus system. just my experience. i'm definately out of the swarovski/leica league. just want to make sure i'm not losing lots of low light performance compared to say a leupold, nikon, bushnell or the like in 8x40.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©