3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ??? Interesting Perspective on Wooden Arrows for Heavy Bows ???  (Read 603 times)

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ??? Interesting Perspective on Wooden Arrows for Heavy Bows ???
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Orion, "As you no doubt know, the 100 grains or so of metal rod in the front does a lot more to increase the foc than a hardwood footing."

Yep, the footing is for durablity behind the head more so then FOC.

"It also seems to strengthen the area immediately behind the head, since the metal rod normally extends back into the shaft another inch or two."

I'm sure it does but it's probably a moot point since hickory doesn't tend to fail there even without the metal insert. I do it just for FOC.

"I shot them into a solid oak, broke the shaft mid shaft on a glancing shot."

Yep, those glancing shots are a bugger as 99% of bone hits would be. That's the reason for the staggered footing points. If all 4 end at the same place, that's a weak spot. We need our arrows "tillered" like bow limbs or fishing rods!  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Ben, YOU are the camel slayer, not any of us.  WE should be asking YOU what to use on our little mooses and deer not the other way around!

Keep using wood, errr, I mean "timbers" regardless of weight and no worries mate!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 05:06:00 AM »
G'day Steve... I'm blushing now, mate!

I imagine moose and camel to be roughly the same size; they are both majestic and immense (from what I've seen of moose in the films and magazines) creatures.

I just can't help but be more and more drawn to timber as arrow shaft material. It is wonderful stuff!

Cheers,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
The new Woody Weights now make point loading a wood arrow for EFOC possible.  Of course this requires a spine increase but you can pack 300+ grains up front quite easily.

Since they are steel there should not be a strength issue, but I'm not sure how the extra glue joint arrangement would hold up on truly big game.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
I have a few purpleheart shafts that Luke "The Ursus" Woodruff ran thru his shaftshooter (one made into an arrow) that spine fairly hi and must weigh 800 grains per shaft.  Hope to shoot the one I have into a snow bank soon for a trial shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©