3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Urban Varmint Hunting! (Kill Shots/Graphic)  (Read 1036 times)

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Urban Varmint Hunting! (Kill Shots/Graphic)
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
Excellent shooting- Plus doing your part for cleaner woods- wish I had been there. It's 10 degrees here with 8" of new snow.

Bill

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
Best urban varmint bowhunt I've ever seen. Great post. Loved the narration and the photos.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Great idea! Thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by MikeW:
I really didn't expect to run into any big game today so I didn't have any single bevel $40 heads with me but when this "Barrel Bellied Buffalo" busted out of the bush I couldn't help myself and I had to send a few blunts his way to teach him a lesson. I got zero penetration but I bet he will be sore tomorrow.

A Judo will do an amazing job on that buffalo.  I was shocked at the penetration when I sent a test shot at one.  Had to gut the beast to get my arrow back.

(Great report -- enjoyed it immensely!)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
This has to be one of the funnier threads I have ever viewed!   :bigsmyl:  

My wife and kids (generally non-hunters) loved it!!

Very Good. . .

Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:   Way to go Mike. Your right,if everybody did this once in awhile our urban woods and waterways would all be far better off for it. My son and I cary 30gal. garbage bags with us whenever we go trout fishing and stump shooting. It's amazing how slobish some so called "outdoorsmen" are.
I reckon so

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
Great and humorous post.  And beneficial too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Blog on Bottom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Mike-
I must have missed your thread here - I got a new one going on this subject, but will move to this one. You did a far better job documenting your hunt.

What do you reckon would make a good game bag? A garbage bag doesn't hook well to your belt, but a mesh decoy bag would let the syrupy juices of newborn cans leak all over your pant leg.
I was unprepared for the bountiful harvest and only had room to stick three of the varmints in my pockets.

Thanks for your expertise!
"Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ---C.S. Lewis

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
great writeup!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
HAHA, not what I expected but that was great!  After a day like that I expect you will be writing an article for TBM?

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
Good thing the trash warden didn't catch you, you are definetly over your limit! LOL! Good job!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2009, 04:51:00 AM »
Good on ya!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline shade seeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2009, 05:17:00 AM »
A+

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
Thx again for the kind words folks,I'm glad ya'll enjoyed it. I find it a lot more fun than shooting at clumps of grass and stumps.

Mike-
I must have missed your thread here - I got a new one going on this subject, but will move to this one. You did a far better job documenting your hunt.

What do you reckon would make a good game bag? A garbage bag doesn't hook well to your belt, but a mesh decoy bag would let the syrupy juices of newborn cans leak all over your pant leg.
I was unprepared for the bountiful harvest and only had room to stick three of the varmints in my pockets.
Thx guy please feel free to jump in with your "Urban Trophies" Yeah the trash bag is a bit of a pain. Some kind of light canvas bag would be better.

Good thing the trash warden didn't catch you, you are definetly over your limit! LOL! Good job!
Funny you should mention that. I was out doing the same thing a few days latter and when I came out of the woods there was a police officer there waiting to talk to me. She happens to live a few doors down from me so she's seen me many times but we have never talked before. I'm actually doing this inside a city limit in a nature/trail walking area,I think it's actually classified as a city park. I knew it was illegal to shoot a bow in there but I never go on the weekends when there are lots of folks. During the week the place is a ghost town and I've been out there stumping a 100 times. Well someone called in on me and said I was hunting.(I've never shot at a real varmint in there) Anyways she said what I was doing was admirable(I came out with an other bag limit)but was against the law and if there was a "next time" she would have to do something about it. I showed her my blunts and explained I wasn't shooting at any animals in there. She was really pretty cool about the whole thing and she was just doing her job. So it looks like I lost my Urban Varmint hunting grounds.
It's some messed up times we live in.
   "[dntthnk]"
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
Mike,

I've enjoyed following along, but your closing comment about "non shooting areas" was in my mind as to how things would be here in these parts.

Even along our Shi$$ Crick, the Conestoga, there are areas now designated by the power company as "parks" and you can't even shoot carp! No shooting allowed! And bows are specifically listed with firearms and such.

A chap I met lives in a rural development, in N. Lanc. County, in the middle of farm fields...and there are "covenants" (?) in that development stating it is illegal to "launch any projectile..." so even behind his high wooden fence, he can't shoot his bow in his own backyard!

I think I'd drive around videotaping people throwing freesbies and playing ball till I got that nonsense changed...but they'd just make it about "shooting bows, airguns, slingshots, etc." specifically, so nothing would be achieved.

Tis indeed "messed up" time...and promises to get worse! Send the municipality a bill for "trash collection."  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Send the municipality a bill for "trash collection."
There ya go!..LoL
   :readit:
Yeah I think it's the same where I live. The law used to be you could not shoot a bow inside the city limits but it wasn't really enforced if you were in your backyard but they could if they wanted to. Now I think the law reads it OK in your backyard as long as the arrow doesn't leave your property.

There has been some threads on this but even on public land where hunting is allowed, here you can't be "target shooting"(stumping)you have to be hunting something. Luckily here in Texas something is almost always open(hogs)even if there are no hogs I'm hog hunting.
   :D
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Good on ya!
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Mike that was real good of ya!

I may go on one of these hunts in the near future. A real low cost alternative, that can only improve the surroundings!

Glad to see the quiver is treating you well.

hnh
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Nice job Mike. I'll be doing the same soon as some snow melts and reveals all those hibernating urban exotics.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©