3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missouri Hunt Stories 2008  (Read 2238 times)

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
Missouri Hunt Stories 2008
« on: September 25, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
I went out last saturday evening.  Got in the stand early around 3:45 overlooking a bean field.  Saw four squirrels and then at 6:55 saw a doe and twins about 120yrds in the bean field.  They headed up the ridge to my right.  At 7:10 had a doe and fawn come in from the left and straight to my tree.  At 15 yards the doe threw her head up and was winding me, but looking up into the tree next to me.  She took two more steps then had me pegged.  I remained motionless (wasn't interested in shooting her) she then bounced out to 30yards quartering away.  They then bounded back the way they came.  Fortunately she never blew, so I stayed till dark thirty.  Nothing else came in.

Anybody else see any bucks etc.????
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missouri Hunt Stories 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
I only hunted last Sunday evening....didn't even see a durn squirrel!!!  I'll hit it again this coming weekend!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
The second evening of the season I got a mature doe about 40 yards from the house. First time I've used aluminum arrows instead of wood and was impressed with the results as I got a double lung pass-thru from a 45lb Fedora bow. That's a lot lighter than I'm used to using plus the broadhead is 100 grain Magnus. It not only passed through undamaged it completely cut a far side rib in half. She trotted off about 35 yards and dropped. Been seeing a lot of deer in our alfalfa and clover fields but mostly right before dark. Even had 2 8pts sparring one evening for an extended period of time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Had a doe bust me last Sunday AM. I knew better than to sit that stand with a SE wind.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
0 for 5 here.  Had a couple of close calls w/ turkeys, but no shot yet.  Skeeters gettin the best of me.  Weather next week looks much better though.

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I got my first bow kill on mon, having trouble posting pics with this old computer, shot her from the kneeling position at 5 yds. double lung but not pass through, didnt get to full draw. Went this morning and saw nothing, be back out in the morning!!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Had a nice 6pt come in under me. Of course all my counties are included in the 4pt. one side rule.  Beautiful buck,,, he bedded under me for three hours. A whole lot of fun watching the "show"....

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Good job Ductape and NON-Typical!!  Its supposed to be 84 sat. but I might try and get out.

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I can wait. to many seed ticks, skeeters,and heat for me. Cob webs in your face. Except for that its been perfect  :)
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
I had a doe at 8 yards last Tuesday.  She spotted me as I began to draw and I was contemplating lettin' loose when a squirrel went nuts right over her head!  She jumped about 20 feet and that was the end of that.  The cool thing was I called her in with a fawn bleat even though she was downwind.

My friend in Fulton got a nice 10 point opening morning that scored 134.  He said the buck bedded at 15 yards and he was frozen in his stand for over an hour until the buck finally stood up.  

I'm still looking for my first trad kill although I gave it my best trying to get revenge on that squirrel!

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
Got out the first Fri and Sat. The mornings were OK. Sat afternoon was hot going in. Saw a couple of slick heads 80 yds out Fri morn. It was really still and when I brushed the feathers on an arrow one of them was right on me. Saw three turkeys walking out. Won't get out this weekend but after that lookout! All kinds of V days to take   :)
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
I know two people that have taken 8pts, but I have yet to get out myself.  Saturday will be my first outing on a managed hunt.

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 01:03:00 AM »
Had an 8 point and a big 7 point at 15 yards in my double bull last Saturday evening, but couldn't get a shot.  Gonna try a climber a little deeper in the woods tomorrow, and Saturday if necessary.  It is hot with a lot of bugs though.
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 02:40:00 AM »
Hey Brian, what's up?

Haven't even been out yet but hope to get out this weekend.  Maybe Sunday.  Got a campout with my boy for cub scouts this weekend so don't know if I'll make it or not.  For sure I'll get out by Monday am though.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
Good luck up there, Chris? Congrats on drawing the tag. What is the total tags drawn for the area?

Let us know how things go.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
I've been out once with the bow and a couple of times with just the binos. I had the wife with me on one trip and she got to see a doe with triplets fairly close(51 yds). The "Woogchilde"(my daughter) has taken 2 does and a button buck thus far. All of her deer were taken from the ground. The last one was on an open field she happened to be walking across. She dropped to her knees and using just her natural voice bleated the doe within her comfort zone then waited patiently for the doe to look away momentarily. That was all she needed to put an arrow in the vitals.
I told her she needs to back off for awhile because staying up late processing deer is getting old. It's just too hot for me to want to stick anything yet but I would be sorely tempted if one with nice spots on it walked by...lol
God bless,Mudd

ps don't hate on me because Woog has ventured over to the dark side and is shooting training wheels this season. I do think she'll switch back over when she gets bored with whacking and stacking.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
How old is you daughter?
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
19 until Groudhog day in 09. Man! Do they ever grow up fast!!!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Tyler2045

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
I am 20 i have got my first trad bow in the mail, i have been borrowing one from Hogdancer.
Bear Kodiak Magnum 44# Amo 52"

42@28 Take-down. Black Creek Bows, Banshee. 60' AMO

Nay, in all things we are more than conquerors though Him that loved us. Romans 8:37

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
Good stories guys.  Keep'em come'n if ya got'em.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©