3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missouri Hunt Stories 2008  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missouri Hunt Stories 2008
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
hunted last week, 3 of us took 3 deer, 2- 8's and a doe. first of the week was great, then it got hotter as the week went on, slowing movement some, but we were still seeing deer.

Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
I get to go out this weekend after practice!
This will be my third deer hunt with my recurve and I've never been more excited!
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
Wow Dave those are niiice bucks.  Looks like you got them on public land by that sign in the first picture.   Wanna pm me on where that was?????
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
ttt
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
Went out last evening to some public ground,  and checked out an area I haven't been in.  I set up on a point that jutted out into a milo field.  Alot of good sized tracks on the edge of the field.  Brought my Sneaky Sak and got it up in a big branched oak.  With the Sneaky Sak you have your back up against the tree unlike the other tree slings.  Its like any other "tool" it has its aspplications.  I sat in it for 3 1/2 hrs which was too long.  It got a little uncomfortable. Maybe cause it was really warm out.  With the sak I had no shot to my right, so next time I use it I'll take that into consideration.  

Any way at about 6:30 on the other side of the point a deer was snorting.  I checked the wind with some talc and it was blowing the opposite way.  Maybe it smelled where I walked in?  I had the Thermocell running which I believe the deer can smell because I could smell it.  The deer kept semi circling me snorting.  Could never see it.  This went on for 20-25 min then stopped.  I thought it just went away. So I'm looking the opposite direction hoping something would come in after all that snorting.  then look back the way the snorting came from and there is 3 deer 15 yards to my right and they bust when I turn my head.  BUSTED!!!  It was getting close to dark so I baled.  

I don't think I'm gonna go out until it cools down more.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
Hey BMOELLER, how did the limbs you bought off of me workin out?

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
I had my first miss yesterday. I had a flock of turkeys come in and when I shot, some little twigs grew immedately in my way. My arrow hit a little off but thankfully missed completely. It was so cool!! They never heard the sound of the shot!
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
Enjoy tagging along on your daily hunts. Keep em coming guys.

bhfp
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
I got to my stand late this morning, crawled up, hooked up, got an arrow nocked and sat down. After maybe 5 minutes a little six and spike show up across the fence line at about 15 yards, they acted like they wanted to jump but were hesitant and instead turned up a trail (offering me two broadside targets) which I turned down (too early in the game). I had forgotten my binoculars so I kept checking on them as they were milling around about 100 yards from my stand. The sun was glinting through the trees by this time and I see a flash of sunlight on horn and focus in on it in time to see a bigger deer, "the wallhanger" is what the neighbors who missed him last year call him. Anyway he follows a doe off down the hill into some thick stuff and I don't see them again but man was I glad I didn't shoot that six and boy do I wish I would have remembered my binos. Come on late October and early NOVEMBER!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
what are you doing getting to your stand late your not bear hunting any more.  

doug77

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2008, 05:58:00 PM »
Good job MoState.  Swp, I can't wait for a cool october and november myself.  Sounds like you had a great morning.

I went out this morning back behind the house as well just to look around.  The woods were so thick and the mosquitos were horrific.  Didn't take the thermocell.  Didn't see anything but a fresh rub and a squirrel.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Hey Doug,

I forgot I wasn't bear hunting and got there about 20 minutes later than I would have liked!  :banghead:  Don't be jealous cause you can't hunt them little Iowa bucks for a few more days.

Brian,
Sorry to hear about the mosquitos, they aren't bad here but the hickory nuts were falling all around me and they were as big as walnuts! The acorns aren't small either, the deer and turkeys should have some good eating.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
BMOELLER, no offence meant at all, and I am sure you understand, but the pm on our huntin area, its about 1/2 mile behind that sign...
    :biglaugh:
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
John,
There were 150 hunters on this hunt.  We walked in about 1.5 miles and still passed by three hunters and that was at 5:15am!  Turkeys gobbled more than they did in May and the view was excellent, even though there were no deer in sight.  We'll try again Friday and Sunday.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »
I hear ya Dave  :rolleyes:  Let me ask ya this, what county?  :D

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 12:28:00 AM »
Good going, Dave!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
Went out yesterday morning.  Ten minutes after settling in I had a deer come into the bean field 25yrds. Just enough light so I thought.  I thought I was looking at a doe when I came to full draw the deer picked its head up and I was able to see it was a small buck.  I let him pass.  about 30 min later a decent buck came through the beans but out of range.  Looked like an 8.  Ten minutes later had a deer wind me from behind and blew a few times so I called that spot a day.

Went over to some public land, as I was pulling into the parking lot I saw a coyote in a private field mousing.  He never showed the truck any concern.  I got out quietly and headed along the fencerow paralleling his position.  He was about 100yrds out and the wind in my favor.  I got set next to a cedar and began lipsqeaking.  he'd look my way then kept on mousing.  This went on for about ten minutes.  No more respnse so I gave up.  If I only had the 22-250.  

Later, I was working around some cut beans. I thought there should be some turkeys around.  Sure enough I went around the bend of some timber and there were about 25 of them.  I scrambled to get an arrow nocked and by the time I got to full draw they either ran or were in the air.  Close!!  I headed down in the woods where they flew and tried stalking their calls since I didn't have a diaphram with me.  It proved fruitless.  Oh well.  Pretty exciting day to say the least.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
Brian, sounds like you had a good day of hunting.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
ed on wingnuts thread

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Looks like you had a fun day Brian.

I went out on Friday 5:00 until 7:15 sat against a fallen tree in my gillie suit watching a bean field with 15 mph wind in my face and saw nothing.

Went out tonight 4:00 until 7:15 hoping to setup in a creek bottom with my gillie suit on where three trails converge but the wind wouldn’t allow it. 15+ mph winds were blowing and causing the air currents to swirl around in the creek bed. Tried to setup on the edge of the timber but again the air current were unpredictable. I wound up sitting in a natural ground blind overlooking the corner I wanted to hunt and a open field but I still saw nothing.

I did get to put a stalk on a squirrel but he never put himself in a spot where I could take a shot. I had a good time anyways. Its good to get out and go into predator mode.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©