3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Missouri Hunt Stories 2008  (Read 2239 times)

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Missouri Hunt Stories 2008
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
Sorry about that. hit the send button too soon. I've been hitting it hard here for these urban deer with no luck. starting to feel like deer season finally.  Seen 13 does last saturday morning with no shots.  deer seem to be looking into the treesall of the time.  Had four bucks come into ten yards and mill around for a while but they were 4pt forkhorns, not legal here in jackson county.May have to try the guille suit that you mentioned on wingnuts thread.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
Been hunting the woodlots.  Lots and lots of acorns on the ground here already this year.  Seeing several deer, but no shots since opening day.  Decided where to hunt tonight, and was about 15 minutes late getting there.  Watched 2 deer cross "my spot" from 50 yards away, then spooked another whilst trying to sneak up behind the first two...    :banghead:  

Buddy missed a nice buck the other day at about 11:00 AM.  Deer seem to be moving a lot mid-to-late morning here.  Another friend told me he's still getting game-cam pics (bucks included) anywhere from 9:30 to 11:00 AM.

Time to hit the sack and get back after them in the morning!
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Hey John how are you?  I was reading your comment above and as far as I know Jackson county has no antler restrictions this year.  Neither does Clay,Cass or Platte county. But they will be coming so maybe get use to it.

Neven

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
Went out yesterday on public land and hunted from the ground.  From first light till 9am only saw 2 squirrels and 1 coon.  Decided to walk around and look at new territory.  I was about to give a squirrel a taste of carbon when at full draw a doe blows about 20yrds away.  I was walking one of the trails/roads and out in the open when she blew. She had come in to my right out of my periphreal view and was in the road as well. Huge doe.  Then I saw movement up the road it was 2 spikes.  They didn't know what was up and kept coming.  Since they had to be 4pts on one side, I'd see if I could draw on them.  When the lead spike went behind a tree, I drew.  He finally noticed me and started walking to me.  At about 20yrds I couldn't hold any longer.  I let down real fast and they about crapped their drawers.  I was wearing some predator deception brown and not the ghillie today.  I wanted to see how well this stuffed worked, and can say I really like this camo.

In the evening, I sat a wheat field. I wanted to hunt along a milo field, but the guys were in there cutting it. Walking in spotted a small doe feeding in the road.  Tried to put on a fun stalk, but she caught me.  At sundown, had a small 7pt come in to about 50 yrds.  He kept looking back and I was hoping it would have been a bigger buck... nope a doe.  They fed and the buck was dogging her like the rut was on.  He even went over to a tree and used it for a licking branch, but didn't make a scrape.  It was about dark now, so I was packing up my stool when a doe caught me moving about 30yrds out and behind me.

Driving home I almost hit a coyote and a bobcat.  Pretty eventful day.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
I passed up 2 big does and a button buck last tuesday evening, and then got out again yesterday evening...Saw one big doe feeding in the beans wayyy out, and then right at climb down time, a young buck was chasin a doe, HARD!!!  Got my blood up, fo sho!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
I missed the smallest doe in KS a couple of weeks ago.  Went out today and saw plenty of deer.  Been trying to get my 1st trad deer on the ground.  I forgot how hard it could be spending the last 15 years in a tree.  Having just enough success to keep trying. It was pretty windy today.  About 11 I had a button buck come busting in and stopped at 19 yds.  He even had the courtsey to look away.  Shot right over his back.  Off he went.  I had smelt something dead in the area so I took a short walk in a circle to see if I could find what it was. No luck.  Almost back where I started and I see a doe come from the same area.  Shes about 40 yds and facing away.  I hit her w/ the grunt call a few times and she turns and is now coming very slowly. Got a chance to put my facemask back on and shes still coming.  At 9yds (yes 9yds) she goes behind a tree I draw she walks out and I shoot right over her back!! AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Twice in 30 minutes. I even told myself to aim low. She bounces twice and stares for a minute.  Trots a little more and starts feeding again.  Unbelievable!! I got back to within 30yds again, but she decided to leave before another opprotunity presented itself.  I seem to have a mental block aiming at daylight to hit a deer that close.  Oh well goodtimes, Im not giving up yet.

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
I had a spike come in today as I was lowering my pack. And went still hunting towards a scrape, saw a big bodied deer through the woods. Only to here sticks crashing behind me. Turn around and theres a hound dog come up my trail. Bye bye deer...
The rut is starting up in my area and I hope I get to go out next weekend!
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2008, 06:40:00 PM »
I was "deer walking" (credit to G. Fred) into my stand yesterday... It works!!  I wasn't in a hurry and thought I would try it. Deer walking around a bluff I was looking left when I saw the deer out of the corner of my eye starting to stand up out of its bed to my right at close to 18 steps. She blew and swaped ends as I swung the bow around... No shot but fun as it gets.

good luck to all out there.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »
My daughter went on her second hunt with me yesterday and got her first shot off at a doe. She said she couldn't stop shaking, thats one addiction I'm glad to see my kids have!! She can't wait to go out sat moring again!

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
Great stories guys.  I ought to change the title and name this Missouri Hunt stories 2008.

Offline mqqse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
Younger bucks are chasing does in my neighborhood, but no shot opportunities........yet....

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
Brian I've had a few close calls but no shots yest.  /Had three bucks come into ten yards last  week but all three were forkhorn 4pts not legal this year.  Had to pass on them.  Had two does bed down but aabout 15 yards away satuday morning heading right for my shooting lane until bedding. No shots again.  Lots of rubs and scrapes in the  woods. Starting to feel like deer hunting season.  Are you ratling yet?

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Neven it is my understanding that Jackson county is under the  four point on one side restrictions this year.  I'll let those little guys walk anyway.  Thanks for the headsup I'll do some more research.

Offline DaveBriner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
This recent cold snap has started things up.  Friend saw a nice 3 1/2 yr old 8pt the other night and I've been seeing more and more "Mack trucked" on the side of the road.  That's a signal in my neck of the woods that things are getting ready to heat up.

Anyone else wonder if the unseasonably cool weather will kick the rut off early this year?  I know it's photoperiodism and that the does won't be ready till the 15th.  But I always think the cooler weather tends to get them moving more and earlier.

Best,
Dave
A man's worth can be determined by the number of friends at his funeral- unless they all hunt too!!

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
Robert (rg176bnc), good to see a hunting story from you, I don’t remember you shooting like that at 3D targets. What gives?

Brian, I like the idea for the new title.

Jeff (ductape), That’s great! I hope to see some pictures soon.

Looks like everyone is starting to have some fun, good luck everyone and keep the stories coming. Here is mine.     :scared:      that’s it! I jump up and scramble backwards! The skunk turns inside out trying to get away and he heads back into the bean field. Then he stops and turned to look back at me and decides I’m not worth it and moves on. That was close too close!

6:55 I catch movement southwest of my position in the beans. A fawn is working its way to the fence crossing. The fawn keeps looking over its shoulder. A big doe appears to my left with another fawn trailing her. They are about 50 yards away and down wind. No good so my attention is focused on the fawn. I check the head through my binoculars and give myself the green light. The fawn looks like a doe. She continues to feed in the direction of the crossing but not on the path I need her to be on. The path she takes puts her about 35 to 40 yards out. Dang it! She stands perfectly broadside to me and completely unaware of me. I watch her make her way along the fence line. When she went out of site I eased myself from the trees to try and stalk up to her. By the time I moved out of the trees she had crossed the fence and was gone. Close but no cigar.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
Tom, why are you startling a skunk at three feet? Trying to cover yourself with some natural cover scent? Great story.

I haven't made it to my place in Missouri yet but I did have some luck Saturday in Kansas. Guess I'll need to start my own thread.  :D  

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
I'm gonna change the thread name I guess.  

John, I haven't tried rattling yet, but will give it try next week just to see what happens.

Tom, thats cutting it close bud.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Hi Bill

Yeah I’ve been looking for an all season cover scent that only needs one application but I didn’t have the guts to pick-up the little furry spray bottle so I had to bug-out.

John I tried rattling on Sunday but I didn’t get any results. The high winds may have muffled the sound.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
Im generally not a choker Gatekeeper, but I served up a full helping Sunday.  The good hunting is just getting started so Im not real worried.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »
Missed a doe day before yesterday.  Wasn't trying to shoot underneath her, but that's what happened.  My last couple shots have gone high, and I was determined to break the string.  20 yards, on the ground, with a doe that was acting fairly calm, but obviously knew something was up.

Got busted by 3 or 4 does (movement) slipping through the woods, but not winded.  They all tried to circle up-wind, but one made the near fatal mistake of circling close and stopping right in a nice little clear spot. (ok...it was a yearling)    :banghead:  

The adventure continues...
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©